ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 08-25-09, 09:58 PM

Ska Sucks is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse and Smoking

Alright, well I've been smoking for about a year now (2-3 average a day - not bad at all) and the past 2 weeks since I've been on Vyvanse that's pretty much tripled and I crave cigarettes so much more often. Why are my cravings out of control? I'm sure this drug has something to do with it.
Old 08-26-09, 02:14 PM

BowTech is on a distinguished road
Re: Vyvanse and Smoking

I have no documented proof (although I am sure it is readily available), but Vyvanse (as well as other stimulating medications) does increase the "need to smoke". A pack of cigarettes can last me a full week when I am not on Vyvanse. When I am on my medication, a pack lasts me a single day. So yes, Vyvanse does increase your cravings to smoke. I have no documented proof as of now, but I don't know of anyone that has smoked less on this medication. I was the same way on Adderall.
Old 08-27-09, 06:33 PM

z71squattin06 is on a distinguished road

I've discussed this with friends before and we all felt that it was because Vyvanse makes us anxious and stimulates nervous tics such as biting nails and cracking fingers. Since tobacco cravings also strike when under the added stress, Vyvanse makes me throw in a dip a lot more often.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-09, 03:15 PM

BowTech is on a distinguished road

I wish I could find a scientific reason to why this happens. I am going to give my doctor a call and see if he knows (which I know he will).
Old 08-28-09, 03:28 PM
ADDvanced Member

MADD_MEN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Sucks View Post
Alright, well I've been smoking for about a year now (2-3 average a day - not bad at all) and the past 2 weeks since I've been on Vyvanse that's pretty much tripled and I crave cigarettes so much more often. Why are my cravings out of control? I'm sure this drug has something to do with it.
I had the same issue with Adderall. I quit smoking awhile ago, but got the cravings. We added Wellbutrion and my cravings went away. Wellbutrion is sometimes prescribed for smoking cessation.

Focalin: 5 mg 2-3x/day
Bupropion: 150 mg/day
Lamictil: 100 mg/day
Clonazepam: 1 mg/as needed
Self-deprecation: 500 mg 10x/hour
Old 09-05-09, 12:00 AM

Someguy2009 is on a distinguished road

Don't hold me to this, but from what I have read on the vyvanse website and other forums the increased need to smoke is because amphetamines like vyvanse increase your bodies dopamine levels (the natural drug in your body that makes you feel good but also controls your craving for things (ciggs and whatever habbits you have)
Old 09-11-09, 12:15 PM
Contributor

demo3210 is an unknown quantity at this point

Something interesting I found was that cigarettes (mainly nicotine) can be neuroprotective. Maybe we should all be smoking on Vyvanse?

So light em up!

Sources:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract

http://www.cryonet.org/cgi-bin/dsp.cgi?msg=27621

There are also sources that show nicotine causing brain damage as well like (http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/...icotine.brain/)
Old 09-16-09, 02:16 PM

carissa_lee will become famous soon enough

I had the same experience, but only when I was taking 30mg. I went from 2-3 cigarettes a day to a pack. I was on 30mg for a month, when my doctor moved me up to 70. Once I started 70mg (and currently 100mg), I haven't had an issue since. Not really sure why... you would think if the amphetamine type substance is what causes the need to smoke more, that by increasing the dosage I would want to smoke even more, but I don't. Literally the first day on the 70mg dosage, the cravings went back to what I consider normal. I've been on 100mg for 4-5 months I think, and I actually feel like I might be able to finally give up smoking altogether. I don't even want to smoke anymore. I have more than enough things to occupy my time now.
Old 03-15-11, 04:10 PM

johnnyboy is on a distinguished road

Hey Guys,

I know this is an old thead but I found it and had to share - Me too!!! The cigarette cravings are out of control. I can easily smoke a pack a day right now. before vyvanse i was just several cigaretter a day/social smoker.

Today is my first day w/o cigarettes (i had to stop as it was really hurting my throat) and now i want to fall asleep. I am only on 30 mg ov vyvanse and have been for about 3 months. I think it's time to go buy cigarettes
Old 04-12-11, 12:32 PM

RigelOrion is on a distinguished road

Having been an on-off smoker for years, and recently put on Vyvanse, I'm noticing the same effect. However, when you do put down the nicotine, the effects of an amphetamine like Vyvanse and others will help normalize your brain chemistry in a way that will make cessation bearable. It's unfortunately not a magic pill to eliminate the initial cravings of smoking cessation.

Many of us were drawn to nicotine (and other substances) as a way to increase stimulation. But these ADD drugs are much smoother in ramping up and down in their levels. They don't spike as hard as processed tobacco (which is designed to give you a HUGE spike).

Why it's making us want to smoke more is a curious reaction, and I've noted it as well. I'm planning on doing a full-out quit within the next 30 days after my dosage is more regulated. I'll gladly post results.