ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 08-26-09, 06:05 PM

Well-letitbe is on a distinguished road
Bupropion HCl and Amphetamine combination produces a neutral affect?

Iv been wanting to post this thought that's been going through my head about a week after I started Bupropion SR after an unsuccessful XL trial. I'm not your savey scientist when it comes to neurology but I enjoy reading up on the "possible" idea that depression, adhd, social phobia... ect are caused by a neural imbalance of neurotransmitters. (Serotonin, Dopamine.. ect ect). It has kinda bothered me how amphetamines work in conjuction with Bupropion and vice versa. With Bupropion being an NDRI or Norepinephrine Dopamine Re-uptake Inhibitor and Amphetamine, a sympathomimetic agent which mimics the actions of adrenaline by the presynaptic release of dopamine and norepinephrine, it bugs me to think that since Bupropion prevents re-uptake of Dopamine and norepinephrine and how when amphetamine enters the synaptic cleft and dumps excess dopamine through the way of re-uptake, wouldn't the bupropion cancel out the effects of amphetamine by preventing its re-uptake, which in turn wouldn't alow for more dopamine to be released? And PLEASE by all means correct me if I'm either clueless or somewhat on the right path.... :P
littlesmg88 (02-02-14)
Old 08-27-09, 12:47 AM
ADDvanced Member

RecruitDir is on a distinguished road
Re: Bupropion HCl and Amphetamine combination produces a neutral affect?

W-L,

Not sure I get what you are trying to say. The two actually complement eachother, Adderall releases dopamine neuradreline and Wellbutrin keeps it around longer, which makes the combo a frequently perscribed one for ADHD treatment.
Old 09-07-09, 07:56 PM

R.B will become famous soon enough

I was told that amphetamines squeeze out dopamine like a sponge and if you take wellbutrin and the sponge is dry you are ringing out a dry sponge.This was from my psych.So I guess they work in a similar way...
Old 09-08-09, 10:54 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

No man.. That's not how it goes. If you take adderall in the morning then it releases da and ne so you get more activity than what was previously there. Well if you take wellbutrin later after you take the adderall that keeps the influx of da and ne around longer so it potentiates or boosts the adderall that was taken earlier. So you have more da and ne around from the adderall and taking wellbutrin keeps the da and ne around for longer periods of time thus creating a synergistic combination.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hollywood For This Useful Post:
Chicchick (05-28-12), CptNemo (09-09-09), quirkyscrawler (01-25-12)
Old 09-09-09, 01:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

willinabox is on a distinguished road

Do a lot of people do this combination.

Can I supplement the wellbutrin later in the day instead of taking another adderall, that way I avoid crashing (which makes me really tired/useless) but not feel like im on adderall when I'm out socializing and whatnot?
The Following User Says Thank You to willinabox For This Useful Post:
littlesmg88 (02-02-14)
Old 09-09-09, 04:47 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

taking wellbutrin later in the day may pro long the benefit of adderall a bit , and at higher doses it may help substantially but it won't replace your adderall it just may help it work for longer.
Old 09-12-09, 04:18 AM
ADDvanced Member

willinabox is on a distinguished road

yeah....I am in college so when I come down of adderall or any other stimulant im really tired and out of it. I was thinking about boosting with wellbutrin which would give me energy into the evening without being useless. Going out on stimulants ive noticed that I am somewhat shy and reserved, not much fun basically.
Old 09-12-09, 04:56 AM

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,328 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

You misunderstand what a reuptake inhibitor does. Amphetamine stimulates the release of dopamine to the synaptic cleft, allowing it to bind to receptor sites and trigger synapses. The reuptake inhibitor makes that dopamine stay in the synaptic cleft longer, allowing it a greater amount of time to bind to receptor sites. The two drugs complement one another nicely: amphetamine triggers the release of dopamine, and bupropion makes that dopamine more effective.
albino226 (09-28-09), Alex9 (01-17-11), fastgreen (12-22-11), Kiddder (09-14-09), mattif (06-28-13), MCate (12-16-09), mensa99 (09-29-09), seamstress (12-08-09)
Old 09-12-09, 11:05 AM
ADDvanced Member

Kerstin is on a distinguished road

I have no scientific evidence to back this up, but I feel like they cancel each other out if you don't time them right. If I take WB before Adderall, I'm ADHDing off the wall all day. If I take Adderall before WB, it seems to work out, as explained by Hollywood above. I take one IR in the AM, another at about 5, and then take the WB at about 6. This seems to work out better than when I took WB in the morning.

Willinabox, I doubt WB as a booster would help that much but it might be better than nothing (assuming you can take it at night and still be able to fall asleep). It won't give you the same strength of focus and energy as Adderall. Maybe an Adderall booster would be best?

Last edited by Kerstin; 09-12-09 at 11:06 AM.. Reason: Fixed horrible spelling errors
Old 09-14-09, 02:27 PM

probably true but higher doses of wellbutrin may prolong the benefit
Old 09-14-09, 04:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Kiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiller View Post
You misunderstand what a reuptake inhibitor does. Amphetamine stimulates the release of dopamine to the synaptic cleft, allowing it to bind to receptor sites and trigger synapses. The reuptake inhibitor makes that dopamine stay in the synaptic cleft longer, allowing it a greater amount of time to bind to receptor sites. The two drugs complement one another nicely: amphetamine triggers the release of dopamine, and bupropion makes that dopamine more effective.
I truley hope this is right because this is my new combo.....just added stimulants to WB and honestly not seeing much improvement after titrating up to 40mg from 10mg, methylephenidate. 60mg is max Doc will Rx and feel like I may have wasted weeks by time he agrees to switch meds.

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying. ~ Oscar Wilde
Old 09-26-09, 10:53 PM

canitbeADD is on a distinguished road

I have been taking wellbutrin 100mg SR for one week and it seems to kill the effects of the dexedrine i take. About 8 hours after i take wellbutrin I finally feel like i can focus again.
Old 09-28-09, 11:14 PM

albino226 is on a distinguished road

Listen to KMiller on this one.

The stimulants make the drug last longer on the target cell. The SNRIs (Wellbutrin, etc.) keep the cell that released the norepinephrine from taking it back up and, consequently, allow it to stay and affect the target cell longer. They act TOGETHER on the target cell to make the norepinephrine last longer on the target neurons.

Look: http://www.cnsforum.com/content/pict.../Drug_SNRI.png

Trust me, I'm a med student. (I've been waiting to use that line!!)
The Following User Says Thank You to albino226 For This Useful Post:
MCate (12-16-09)
Old 09-28-09, 11:41 PM

canitbeADD is on a distinguished road

Kelly,

Sure...but what about dopamine? You are only mentioning Norep...
The Following User Says Thank You to canitbeADD For This Useful Post:
mensa99 (09-29-09)
Old 09-29-09, 03:43 AM

mensa99 is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Bupropion HCl and Amphetamine combination produces a neutral affect?

More information please as to the information canitbeADD referred to! Thanks - Mensa99
The Following User Says Thank You to mensa99 For This Useful Post:
hollywood (04-14-13)