ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-09, 02:01 AM
Jr Member

damiencoold is on a distinguished road
Question Terrible short-term memory...

...awesome long-term memory. Does anyone has same trait as me? My old buddies from middle school re always speechless when I told past stories and events, questioning how the heck I can remember that much. But I had tough time with some activities involving short-term memory
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to damiencoold For This Useful Post:
kendrabean (08-30-09), ZiggyFry (08-30-09)
Old 08-27-09, 03:54 AM
ADDvanced Member

musicman64 will become famous soon enough
Re: Terrible short-term memory...

That's me. I can restart a conversation from 6 months ago as if I never left it. I can recall exact details from events and conversations from years ago. Do not ask me to remember a word that I have forgotten right now and don't ask what I ate or did yesterday. Just an ADD thing.
Old 08-27-09, 04:04 AM

aularian is on a distinguished road

People are amazed that I can recognise a face of a person I haven't seen since I was a child (of people I barely even knew anyway), yet I have trouble remembering something that I read or was said to me 5 minutes ago. My long term memory stands for most things up until I was about 15, then diminishes from there...
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-09, 05:06 AM
Forum ADDvocate

sarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of light

Yep, long term memory is quite good(sort of), short term memory... forget about it!!!

I am who I am, and sweetie, your approval isn't needed, no matter how much you think it is!
Old 08-27-09, 12:35 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

JollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to all

Yep, same here.

I can still remember (and recite) poems or song lyrics from back in grade school, or details about places or events from my childhood.

But give me a set of instructions (like driving directions) and ask me to repeat them five minutes later, and I draw a blank.

Regardless of what other people say,
my tendency to overreact
and lose all perspective makes me a
theatrically interesting person.

Old 08-27-09, 12:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 13,633 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Another voice saying "me too". I can remember some of the oddest things easily and forget others just as easily. I have been telling people for years that I carry a drivers license so that I can remember where I live.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
Old 08-27-09, 12:53 PM

Thanked 12,709 Times in 6,590 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Same here!
I can remember anything from childhood in detail (and probably what I was wearing and what the weather was like too); old phone numbers, obscure names of clients from former jobs etc...
But my short term memory is very, very flawed. I have to write EVERYTHING down at work and color-code it, and I have another little notebook always in my purse for stuff outside of work.
Old 08-27-09, 01:03 PM

Thanked 1,005 Times in 631 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

Yup. Impaired WM is classic ADD.
Old 08-30-09, 01:11 AM

talitha will become famous soon enough

i remember visuals. like i'll know if i've seen something or not before. i remember the face of the parents of my fellow pre-schoolers, the names of friends when i was 5, the workers at the bookstore, etc. but i lose my train of thought mid-sentence (even mid-word at times), i don't know what day it is, i forget almost everything short term...

for me i've found that mostly stuff that is not interesting to me i will never remember. i dont beat myself up over it... doesn't really bother me. hah.
Old 08-30-09, 06:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

PinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to allPinkRoxy is a name known to all

Yeah I think Im kind of the same, my memory was better as a child than it is now. I have told so many people if they want me to do something make sure they tell me to do it so I can do it right away not in 5 or 10 minutes or after Ive done something else because I just would forget about it and then I end up beating myself up about it cos I usually get into trouble for not remembering to do something.

I think my long term memory is good but not my short term memory.
Old 08-30-09, 06:32 PM

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,328 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

I guess for a differing opinion, I have absolutely terrible longterm memory. Terrible. Like, I've blasted most of the memories of my childhood out of my brain. It's getting better but generally I need prompted before I can remember something, and even then I'm not sure if I'm just making it up.

To be fair, though, my working memory isn't all that great, either. I'm pretty quick to forget what I'm in the process of doing unless it's patently obvious, and I can lose track of the original topic of conversations pretty easily if I'm let to my own devices and take the conversation all over the place.
Old 08-30-09, 07:45 PM

talitha will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiller View Post
I guess for a differing opinion, I have absolutely terrible longterm memory. Terrible. Like, I've blasted most of the memories of my childhood out of my brain. It's getting better but generally I need prompted before I can remember something, and even then I'm not sure if I'm just making it up.

To be fair, though, my working memory isn't all that great, either. I'm pretty quick to forget what I'm in the process of doing unless it's patently obvious, and I can lose track of the original topic of conversations pretty easily if I'm let to my own devices and take the conversation all over the place.
well... that describes me too tho. hah maybe I'm connfused.
Old 08-30-09, 11:50 PM

kendrabean is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by damiencoold View Post
...awesome long-term memory. Does anyone has same trait as me? My old buddies from middle school re always speechless when I told past stories and events, questioning how the heck I can remember that much. But I had tough time with some activities involving short-term memory

Dude this is so me. LOL Seriously I have said this to my family 100 times before. I can remember vivid details about insignificant things that happened in 3rd grade, but I can't remember the last time I took my pill today.
Old 09-01-09, 12:09 PM
Jr Member

damiencoold is on a distinguished road

my long-term is so awesome that sometimes it kills me. couple days ago I was thinking back about my high school year, and an event that included some haters came to my mind. Suddenly I was so mad. I just wanted to come back to give them some sh** even though it had happened a long time ago. That was a weird feeling
Old 09-01-09, 01:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Kiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of lightKiddder is a glorious beacon of light

Yup....I am same....had High School 30 year reunion last year and was relating stories my friends had forgotten and were amazed I remembered the.

So here is my delemma....if we have had ADD all our lives and have poor short term memories.....how in the heck do those ever become rooted into our long term memories.....am I asking that right? Does anyone know what I mean, if we cannot remember things from yesterday, how, in say 10 years do we remember yesterday?

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying. ~ Oscar Wilde