ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 08-30-09, 02:19 PM

canitbeADD is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse - heartburn, acid reflux and indigestion?

Has anyone had these side-effects with Vyvanse?

Conversely has anyone had these side-effects with Adderall, Dexedrine or Ritalin but NOT with Vyvanse?

I know I have been posting on various forums on this board about the same issue but I am trying to determine if Vyvanse might be better for me.

My pdoc thinks that because Vyvanse is not active in the stomach that it might be better than adderall/dexedrine/ritalin for me (all three of which give me killer heartburn and acid reflux).

This assumes of course that these side-effects relate from some local action of amphetamine in the stomach and not from some other cause (increased stomach acid, slower digestion, relaxed Lower-esophageal-sphincter etc).

Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to canitbeADD For This Useful Post:
maddiemae (12-31-11)
Old 08-30-09, 04:25 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,628 Times in 881 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of
Re: Vyvanse - heartburn, acid reflux and indigestion?

Vyvanse seems to exacerbate my sons gastric issues at times. Reflux and heartburn. He already has a tendency tho. Nausea is common with vyvanse but I don't know why. It works well otherwise. You will only know if you give it a try.
The Following User Says Thank You to FrazzleDazzle For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (09-23-09)
Old 08-30-09, 07:52 PM

Thanks FrazzleDazzle,

I have tried Ritalin, Adderall and Dexedrine and unfortunately all exacerbate my reflux far too much. I guess it can't hurt to try Vyvanse

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-09, 09:11 AM
Jr Member

alina is on a distinguished road

please let us know how u feel after trying it!
Old 08-31-09, 09:18 AM

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,328 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the prescribing information for Vyvanse. Common side effects include decreased appetite, dizziness, dry mouth, irritability, insomnia, upper abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and decreased weight.
Old 08-31-09, 09:25 PM
Contributor

AddaptAbilities has a spectacular aura aboutAddaptAbilities has a spectacular aura about

For what it's worth, vyvanse gave me dry mouth at first, but no heartburn. I've never had heartburn from stimulants though.

Now, 200 mg of zoloft on an empty stomach is another story entirely. *shudder*

Current Meds: Vyvanse 70 mgs; Lamictal 150 mgs; Ativan 0.5 -1.0 mgs

Past Meds: Adderall, Lexapro, Abilify, Dexedrine Spansules, Dexedrine IR, Ritalin, Nortriptyline, Amitriptyline, Wellbutrin

The Lamictal Diaries: Medicating My Mood Disorder
Old 09-23-09, 05:08 AM

M1K3Y is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem. I had always had slight issues with highly acidic foods inducing heartburn and whatnot, but when I started taking dexedrine/adderall (at different points) it was definitely exaggerated.

I took adderall occasionally for months, 2-6 times a month. However, the dexedrine IR (dextrostat) is what I took daily for 2 months which really started major isuses.

I would occasionally take a teaspoon of baking soda with my doses to help the heartburn and simultaneously boost the effects of the amphetamines, but i'm sure that disrupted my ph balance...

After a while it got to the point where I needed to go to the doctor. After a colonoscopy and endoscopy they determined that I had IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and said that I was having severe spasms in my stomach when they were taking a look. Prilosec, Zantac, Alka Seltzer.. tried them all. Work to a certain extent, but the problems never went away. I'd say Prilosec is the most effective, but loses effectiveness after a certain period of time.

I had also tried Donnatal and Reglan from my gastroenterogist. Both felt very artificial to me and would just mask the problem.

Took a break from ADD medicine for 6 months, all my stomach issues went away. Completely. It is definitely due to the stimulants. Best bet is to just come off them if it is bothering you that much. My spasms went away, my heartburn, acid reflux, and everything went away.

Mind you I was at the point of wanting to vomit after meals, burping up acid, not being able to drink coffee because of the nausea.. Serious issues. Once again, they all went away as I stopped the pills.

PS. Reglan has a second mechanism of blocking dopamine receptors so it stopped my ADD medication from working, but would actually speed up digestion. The side effects of Reglan aren't worth the benefit.

Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M1K3Y For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (12-14-14), maddiemae (12-31-11)
Old 09-23-09, 02:23 PM
Contributor

CalmTheChaos has a spectacular aura aboutCalmTheChaos has a spectacular aura about

I have stomach-related gastro issues from Vyvanse. But, I never experienced this on Adderall.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalmTheChaos For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (12-14-14), maddiemae (12-31-11)
Old 02-26-10, 04:15 AM
ADDvanced Member

The Absent Mind will become famous soon enough

I've had horrible heartburn for ages too. 1x Protonix per day fixes it completely though... Definitely worth looking into as heartburn sucks eggs. I also take vyvanse. One thing I've noticed (as have several others on these forums) is that there might be some correlation between acid reflux and reduced effectiveness of Vyvanse. Currently I am prescribed 100mg of Vyvanse per day and am not even sure if that's enough.
Old 02-26-10, 11:56 AM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

I've had acid reflux since I was 15. I am now 29. I've taken prevacid 3 times weekly and without I can't eat and acid gets so bad I'm throwing up all the time and in the bathroom for hours on end after any small meal. i was losing weight and I'm 6-2 170 and athletic and before being on reflux meds I was diown to 150. I'm on prevacid. It works and has worked for years with no problems. I can eat whatever I want. It does not stop working.
The Following User Says Thank You to hollywood For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (12-14-14)
Old 02-26-10, 04:37 PM
Contributor

CalmTheChaos has a spectacular aura aboutCalmTheChaos has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmTheChaos View Post
I have stomach-related gastro issues from Vyvanse. But, I never experienced this on Adderall.
As a follow-up, these eventually subsided for me after a month or two.

No more gastro issues from Vyvanse.
Old 02-26-10, 04:38 PM

Phenix will become famous soon enough

No intestinal issues. For the first two weeks for about two hours after I took my 30 mg vyvanse, it felt like I had had one too many cups of coffee. That went away. I don't feel like snacking between meals (fruit yes). One positive effect is I feel like I know what I really thing about issues. I used to waffle like crazy.
Old 02-26-10, 07:24 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADHD Ceilidh is on a distinguished road

Phenix, luv ur icon IPU and FSM 4ever

anyway, all stims can potentially cause heartburn/gastritis/GERD/dyspepsia so I would not expect a big difference for you with vyvanse as I do not believe the effect is due to local irritation during absorption. Furthermore, if you are vegan then Vyvanse may actually be worse than other stims but otherwise likely similar.

However, science is one thing and experience is another. Everyone is different though so no harm in trying.

Zantac or prilosec can likely help but If used long term Zantac/pepcid is safer than prilosec/prevacid as the latter class interfere with calcium absorbtion. Bummer as they tend to work better. Alas....

Good luck
Of course, you should discount everything I just wrote until you independently research it on your own and verify it's validity. Nothing written by me should be interpreted as specific medical advice or replace the recommendations of your doctor. My advice on this forum is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease. If you feel you have a medical emergency, hang up and dial 911.
Old 11-16-10, 10:56 AM

Hi All,

I'm sorry for the bump, I'm just wondering if there has been any further experience with this. I had to give up Dex, Adderall, focalin and ritalin due to reflux.

It was getting to the point where I would wake up burping from reflux. Also I tried all of the anti-reflux meds and they didn't work (prilosec, etc).

My insurance won't cover vyvanse sadly.

I'm thinking of trying Intuniv but I'm not sure if it works well for inattentive/demotivated type
Old 11-16-10, 11:08 AM
ADDvanced Member

Syndrox has a spectacular aura aboutSyndrox has a spectacular aura about

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kosloff9.htm read entire thing, cured me in a day after following all tips. Never got acid reflux or indegestion again and could stay on my beloved Adderall XR