ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 09-06-09, 04:08 PM

ADDinSRQ is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse and Blood Sugar

I started on Adderall for school. I was taking 15 mg, but that was to low. So my doctor told me to take 30mg daily and it was too much medication. My doctor wanted to but me on 25mg of Adderall but we decided on 50mg of Vyvanse (which is equal to 20mg adderall). It worked great for the first 2 days, then yesterday It wore off early. Then there is today, I took it at about 845 am with my usual protien shake and ate a cup of yogurt. It kicked in about 2 hours later and around noon i started losing focus and felt as if my blood sugar was low. When I got home I had a wrap with peanut butter in it so i could boost my blood sugar but I still felt like it was really low. I made myself a protien shake again and I still feel shakey, like I've had too much caffeine and I can't focus.

So basicly, I'm trying to find out if Vyvanse has a side effect of lowering your blood sugar. I've always had some problem with keeping my sugar levels up and have had to make sure I eat regularly, but with Vyvanse It seems much worse.
Old 09-06-09, 04:24 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,628 Times in 881 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of
Re: Vyvanse and Blood Sugar

Welcome to ADDF! My son was taking vyvnase, and had the same effect of low-blood sugar, nausea, exhaustion, after starting back up on it this school year. He took it last year with no problems. It was around the 3rd day of him starting up on it again, he came home from school just like loopy. But, he was not eating as well as he usually does because of the appetite suppression effect, nor was he well-hydrated or well-rested. All three are important to keep up on with the stimulants. It seemed the Vyvanse pushed him over the edge. It took him nearly 4 days to get back to his normal. We then took him to our GP for a script change, and he said he's seen similar affects on the Vyvanse with his patients (he wasn't the one that prescribed the Vyvanse to my son tho). Son's now just starting on the adderall, hoping he'll do better. If you were doing okay on the Adderall, maybe you could talk about going back on it at the 20 mg?
The Following User Says Thank You to FrazzleDazzle For This Useful Post:
Turbochica (09-06-09)