ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Eating Disorders/Weight Issues/Body Image
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-09, 04:04 PM
Contributor

Jett has disabled reputation
ADHD friendly diabetes control

I have diabetes, fortunately it is not severe.. yet! No insulin shots but I do have to take metformin ( generic glucophage). But I went to see a diabetes instructor and was given instructions about my diet and it is very complicated and hard to follow!!

I am also overweight.. ok, obese, to be exact. I weigh about 280 and I am only 5'2". But besides ADHD I have bipolar disorder which makes things even more complicated and I love to eat and use food to soothe myself. And when I am upset or depressed, I crave all that fattening, rich food like cake, ice cream, pizza, chips, fast food, etc. It's like I am addicted to carbs!

I need to watch my diet and know that losing weight would help but I have tried to lose weight so many times I have lost count and have memorized the calorie content of several foods!

I need a way to control my diabetes ( it's only mild so far and do not want it to get worse) that is not complicated and does not have me weighing and counting everything that I put in my mouth. I need a plan that is ADHD friendly because I have trouble with remembering stuff, forgetting stuff, trouble with routine, and being bored and impatient very fast.

any help would be appreciated.. Thanks!!
Old 09-10-09, 02:06 PM

OuterSpaceBrain has a spectacular aura aboutOuterSpaceBrain has a spectacular aura about
Re: ADHD friendly diabetes control

Are you on meds for your ADD?

This is going to sound crazy (or just difficult), but I believe you should cut all simple carbs out of your diet, except on rare, special occasions. Do not buy any foods containing simple carbs; if you ARE going to eat them, eat them out, when you can only have a single serving.

If you've seen a diabetes educator, I'm assuming you already know what foods are considered simple carbs (sugar of course, white rice, white pasta, white potatoes, white bread, any starchy white thing). You should probably avoid bread, too, even if it's wheat bread. Focus on eating fresh foods, lean meats, and lean, low-carb dairy sources (think plain Greek yogurt + fruit + Splenda).

When you get a craving for sugar, ignore it. Eventually, it WILL disappear, after the first few weeks of cutting out simple carbs. You will then know how great you FEEL without all that sugar in your body and you won't even be tempted to eat it, because you'll remember how awful you felt while treating your body like a trash compactor.

I know how hard it can be to emotionally eat when you're upset, but keep telling yourself eating won't solve the problem; it'll just make you gain more weight, make you feel miserable later, and cause an imbalance in your blood sugar -- which I'm sure you know will make you moody, agitated, and depressed.

Are you into anything active? Biking? Rollerblading? Sports? Even just going for a walk? Exercise is good for blood sugar control and also for ADD.

One other thing: if you CAN, try to eat every 2-3 hours. Set a timer on your phone if you have to. This will keep your sugars balanced and stop you from getting ravenous.

Trust me, this is from personal experience.
Old 09-22-09, 09:59 PM
Contributor

Jett has disabled reputation

Thanks for the reply... sorry I was so slow in responding, I haven't been on here for awhile

I will give it a try
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-09, 10:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,005 Times in 631 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

At 280 lbs and 5'2", i'd really recommend a sleep study.

If you have ADD, I'd suspect that Sleep Apnea MAY be part of it.

Do you know about the Obesity-ADD-Apnea connection?

They all contribute to one another...