ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 09-09-09, 06:59 AM

dksoba is on a distinguished road
What to Eat for Effective Adderall Absorption

I've read that a more alkaline diet and a less acidic diet can increase absorption of the adderall.

Typically I eat 2 eggs and 1 piece of wheat toast for breakfast. For lunch it's usually a small amount of spaghetti or 6" of subway sandwhich, "spicy italian", all veggies, no mayo or mustard. For dinner it's usually something greasy. I'm not particularly trying to lose weight or gain weight, I actually just want my adderall to be effective so I'll stay on task, focused, and motivated.

I also drink lots of Coke, but I should probably try really hard to cut that habit. I think the ph of Coke is like ~2, super acidic. Maybe this interferes with absorption.

I'm taking 2x10mg (IR) a day, except on vacations, but it still doesn't seem that effective. I'm think I should ask the doc for 3x10mg a day...

What do ya'll think?

Thanks
Old 09-10-09, 11:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

Childe Roland has a spectacular aura aboutChilde Roland has a spectacular aura about
Re: What to Eat for Effective Adderall Absorption

As I understand it, acidic foods and beverages interfere with stimulants in two ways:

1. Acidic substances block the initial absorbstion of the stimulant. So don't take your Adderall with Orange juice, coffee, or soda. Instead, take it with Milk (which is basic) or water (which is neutral).

2. Renal absorption/retention. Apparently, low PH foods and beverages can actually lower the PH of your body somewhat. When that happens, you will tend to lose alot of the medicine through your urine. I'm not exactly sure why, but from what I understand, low PH blocks reabsorbtion of the stimulants from the bladder back into the blood.

Unfortunately, acidic things taste good. Those sodas you drink are really acidic. They probably work against your medicine. By the way, don't try to counteract an acidic diet by taking tums! Apparently doing that can mess your digestive track up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Childe Roland For This Useful Post:
judayxlo (09-04-11)
Old 09-11-09, 10:34 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

BBC3 is on a distinguished road

Yes It would be interesting to see the various ways to control blood level PH. I am sure that lactic acidosis is not a good situation for adderall absorbtion. This can be common. Especially after a strenuous workout. I am sure this has to have an effect. What are some ways to raise blood PH, reducind acidity?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-09, 11:02 PM

dkaiser will become famous soon enough

This is a question I've been curious about since I started taking adderall. I know that acidic foods should be avoided, especially within an hour or so of taking a dose. I'm not much into juice and I hate soda so that's not really a problem.

I've also heard, and experienced, that some types of foods may decrease the effectiveness of adderall, such as veggies and fruit, and very greasy foods. But, in my opinion, an apple or whatever for a snack during midday is really important. The adderall won't do much good if I have low blood sugar or am hungry, I just get agitated and distractable. A good rule is to not eat in the 2 hours before, or the 1 hour after, taking Adderall XR, and imagine there's a little more leniency with IR because it starts up pretty quickly.

I've tried tums with adderall, all it did was make me feel more "cracked out", although some people swear that it makes adderall more effective. I dunno about that.
The Following User Says Thank You to dkaiser For This Useful Post:
dkollias (08-03-12)
Old 09-14-09, 11:30 PM

tarabeatty is on a distinguished road

What about coffee? I drink about 30 ounces of coffee about a half hour after I take the Adderall. Will this decrease absorption? I'm still new to Adderall and just had the dose increased because it seems like I'm not even taking much of anything. I wonder if this is why.

Also, I am drinking orange juice at night. I figured it was OK because I don't care if it rushes out of my system at night. But am I setting myself up to excrete it in the morning?

I hate that this seems so complicated.
Old 09-16-09, 10:30 AM

browncow is on a distinguished road

Tarabeatty
It is highly reccommended to avoid ALL caffeine while taking stimulant based meds. You will not get a good idea of what dosage of medication is most effective for you if you are adding caffeine into the mix. Also side effects go WAAAY up ( sweating, dry mouth, shaking, rapid heartbeat)
I used to drink coffee in the morning but since taking XR i have no need for caffeine since it perks me up and clears the fog in my head

hope that helps!
Old 09-16-09, 05:16 PM
Contributor

Wintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the rough

^Yeah, I switched to tea because I couldn't handle the caffeine withdraws, but it's far less strong than coffee. I miss coffee terribly, but whenever I drink it, morning or afternoon for a little pick-me-up, I almost always get sweaty, jittery, talkative, and then my blood sugar seems to drop and I'm shaky, uncomfortable and foggy-headed. I won't want to eat anything either because of the adderall, so I kind of have to ride it out until I can eat something. It also raises stomach acidity so my next dose always seems less potent, and the small boost of energy just doesn't seem worth it after that. My 2 cents.
Old 04-23-11, 10:10 PM

AggieMan14 is on a distinguished road

Ok, so I know for a fact that I tolerate coffee and caffeine fine. It doesn't make me jittery or hyper. So with that, does drinking coffee effect the absorption of the Adderall? I take a 25mg XR in the morning.
Old 04-23-11, 11:44 PM

Thanked 17,450 Times in 7,287 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

The prescription insert recommends taking it on an empty stomach. At the proper dose, you shouldn't have to worry about altering your diet to "potentate" the Adderall. If it's not working well enough, it's better to speak with your doctor about changing your dose.
Old 04-24-11, 02:28 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

OK, or the patient continues to take their Adderall with acidic foods and keeps running to the doctor asking for a dosage increase until the doctor won't raise it anymore and their results vary drastically between cracked out one day and fatigued and cloudy headed the next, all because of their diet. Now they have untreated ADHD and a drug problem. Ready for rehab. It is important to be informed, but not obsessive.
Old 04-24-11, 04:32 AM

MyRestlessMind is on a distinguished road

Yep! I agree!
Old 04-24-11, 11:53 AM

Thanked 17,073 Times in 7,698 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I am completely confused as to how diet can affect adderall to the point of drug addiction. Abuse of stimulants can be quite common and if you abuse it then you will need rehab. So the simple answer is to not abuse it and to be wary of the potential for addiction. Were you only addicted to adderall? Or something else or both?
Old 04-24-11, 12:20 PM

tambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of lighttambourine-man is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, warlord, wow. I wasn't really giving advice on recovery, but I think I could have some good things to say considering I'm living through it. 6 months may not be long to some, but it means the world to me and if the ways in which I have achieved those six months can mean anything to anyone else, so be it. I'm no role model but I've worked incredibly hard to make my life worthwhile and productive despite addiction, ADHD and Bipolar disorder. I take my medication as prescribed. When I was getting high I never bothered to take it, despite feeling quite euphoric the first couple days, but that was over a year ago. I'm not sure how my statement that it is important to be informed, but not obsessive is bad advice. One should know and understand how to get the best use out of their medication (that is what these forums are for) but should not get too hung up on it as overthinking defeats the purpose. You may not have meant to be rude, but being condescending because I have dealt with addiction and saying my opinion is irrelevant because I am in recovery is incredibly self-righteous and, yes, rude. I wouldn't say you were lazy and stupid because you have ADHD. These forums are for overcoming the stigmas surrounding these disorders, not for them to be reinforded by complete strangers. Next time you don't mean to be rude, just don't be.
Old 04-24-11, 12:30 PM

Thanked 17,073 Times in 7,698 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I know warlord's reply seemed rude and he could have used more tact I *think* he was trying to say that with such a short period of recovery maybe you should hold off on giving out advice. This is especially true when we don't know what you were addicted to to put it in perspective anD still don't understand the diet to addiction ratio.
Old 04-24-11, 12:41 PM

Well, had I been handing out advice on recovery it might have been appropriate to put me in check. Otherwise that is really hitting below the belt. And like I said, 6 months may not be alot to some but it is more than I ever thought possible and I'm sorry if I get defensive if I feel my accomplishments are being belittled. I'm prroud to be in recovery. I am not ashamed. Anyone is free to know that I am an addict, because it doesn't make me a bad person, it makes me an incredibly strong person for doing so much to accomplish something thought inconceivable for years. 6 months is only half a year true, but that is over 15,000,000 seconds, and one second is all it takes.
The Following User Says Thank You to tambourine-man For This Useful Post:
ADDPanda (11-16-12)