ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-09, 08:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow ADD is a Disorder, You Are Not Your ADD

I don't find it's fruitful to go looking for feelgood stories and "positive" things. I think that's a waste of time and frankly rather silly - everyone has positive traits, and none of those positive traits are the result of a disorder. They're the result of being you! There is no evidence that I've ever seen correlating ADHD with anything fruitful.

On the other hand, I think a lot of people identify too strongly with their disorder instead of being themselves. You're not your ADHD. It might have impacted who you are quite a bit, but it's not you. You probably have characteristics that aren't typical of ADHD. You probably have positive things about you that aren't the result of the disorder.

Suck it up and drive on.

Last edited by meadd823; 09-20-09 at 05:08 AM.. Reason: Modified for thread split
The Following User Says Thank You to Trooper Keith For This Useful Post:
scarygreengiant (07-06-11)
Old 09-16-09, 07:08 PM

Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow ADD is a Disorder, You Are Not Your ADD

Even in my deepest, darkest depressions, the overwhelming feeling has been boredom. I am constantly bored. I need to be constantly doing something but whatever that something is almost always becomes boring before I'm done with it. There have been times I've thought of hurting myself just to have something to do.

I don't sit still. I speak out of turn. I interrupt people. I finish their sentences. I talk entirely too much and about entirely too personal things. I overdisclose. If I'm started on a topic about which I'm knowledgeable, I'll go and I have a very hard time adapting to a new conversation.

I don't attend well, again, because I get so bored. It's not that my mind isn't focused, or something like this, and it's not like I have sluggish cognitive tempo or somesuch. I don't. Sometimes I'll tune people out who are talking directly to me. "Keith?" "What? Oh I'm sorry, say everything over again, from __________. I got distracted." This typically means I'm bored with whatever, though. My brain has gone on to find something else.

I'm ADHD in the sense Barkley talks about - my problems are with inhibition and intrinsic motivation. I get very bored. I need to be doing things, but I don't have an easy time of finding things to do because they aren't rewarding. They don't interest me. They bore me. It's a horrible curse, to be constantly bored and finding nothing interesting enough to break the boredom.

I can't think of any positive characteristics of mine that come from the fact that I'm disinhibited, easily bored, poorly motivated, and emotionally labile. Not one. "Creativity" is not symptomatic of ADHD*. Intelligence is unrelated to ADHD. Social skills? Generally believed to be impaired by ADHD.

So what should I do about the fact that I have ADHD? Cope. I should cope with it. I don't believe I should go finding feelgood reasons to pat myself on the back and say "it's ok, because you have _____ trait that makes you unique! Thank goodness for ADHD making me a beautiful snowflake!" No. That's dumb.

More adaptive, I believe, would be "welp, you have all these impairments, but it's ok. You're still a good person and you still function well enough. Soldier on."

I can see value in myself despite my ADHD, I don't need to make up a "positive side" to be ok.

* Funk, J., Chessare, J., Weaver, M., & Exley, A. (1993, April). Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, creativity, and the effects of methylphenidate. Pediatrics, 91(4), 816. Retrieved September 16, 2009, from Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk et al
ABSTRACT. Given that children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are more impulsive than peers, this study explored whether they are correspondingly more creative, and whether creativity declines when impulsivity is decreased through methylphenidate (Ritalin) therapy. A repeated-measures quasi-experimental design was used to compare the performance of 19 boys with previously diagnosed ADHD and 21 comparison boys aged 8 through 11 on two administrations of alternate forms of the Torrance Tests of Creative Thinking-Figural (nonverbal). Boys with ADHD received prescribed methylphenidate only for the first session. Overall, mean Torrance summary scores for comparison boys (mean = 115.1, SD = 16.1) were higher than for boys with ADHD (mean = 107.6, SD = 12.7). However, the difference between means was small (7%) and did not meet the 25% criterion for a clinically significant difference. No changes in performance over time (comparison group) or medication state (ADHD group) were observed. These data suggest that, when measured nonverbally, the creative thinking performance of boys with ADHD is not superior to that of peers who do not have ADHD. Regarding the effects of methylphenidate, prescribed therapy did not influence performance on this measure of creative thinking.[ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR][Keith Note: Emphasis mine]

Last edited by meadd823; 09-20-09 at 05:09 AM.. Reason: modified title due to thread split
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Trooper Keith For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (09-18-09), APSJ (09-24-09), Archon (09-17-09), Crazygirl79 (09-16-09), danelady (08-11-10), Dizfriz (09-20-09), felix4939 (09-21-09), Fierwing (09-22-09), ginniebean (09-16-09), Impromptu_DTour (09-16-09), indy (09-21-09), mADD mike (09-16-09), maddyt (09-21-09), Michiko74 (09-21-09), NoReally (09-24-09), scarygreengiant (07-06-11), silverstreams (09-16-09), tash11 (09-22-09)
Old 09-16-09, 07:40 PM

Thanked 3,349 Times in 1,288 Posts
mADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A message for all ADHD newcomers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiller View Post
Even in my deepest, darkest depressions, the overwhelming feeling has been boredom. I am constantly bored. I need to be constantly doing something but whatever that something is almost always becomes boring before I'm done with it. There have been times I've thought of hurting myself just to have something to do.

I get very bored. I need to be doing things, but I don't have an easy time of finding things to do because they aren't rewarding. They don't interest me. They bore me. It's a horrible curse, to be constantly bored and finding nothing interesting enough to break the boredom.
Thanks you for saying this. My wife and I have been talking about boredom lately, as I'm getting very frustrated. I usually spend every day after work online or watching tv, just waiting for time to go to bed, so I can do it all over again tomorrow. I'm so bored, that I've thought that a gun to my head would be at least some stimulation. Getting hooked on drugs would be stimulating, as would getting in fights, or doing something illegal and running from the law, etc. I have a strong moral compass that I was raised with and would never do any of these things, but the more I try to live a good life and cut things out the more bored I find myself.

I've got to get past the boredom, the only problem is, like you, that I don't get enough of a reward from most things to have any interest in them. If I do have an interest, then I have to actually muster up the motivation to get up and do something. It all just seems like work, and I work too much already in my businesses.

Well, if nothing else, the boredom gives me more time to come here, lol. I need a freaking hobby that I can actually enjoy enough to stick with.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mADD mike For This Useful Post:
Archon (09-17-09), silverstreams (09-16-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-09, 05:13 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,401 Times in 6,116 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So what should I do about the fact that I have ADHD? Cope. I should cope with it. I don't believe I should go finding feelgood reasons to pat myself on the back and say "it's ok, because you have _____ trait that makes you unique! Thank goodness for ADHD making me a beautiful snowflake!" No. That's dumb

Calling people names such as dumb simply because they have a different perspective really demontsrates just how secure one is in thier personal percepition.

You don’t get it do you ??? Brief explanation shall we - Some people view themselves separately from their ADD while others do not.

I can no more separate me from my ADD than I can separate myself from my gender.

Quote:
I can see value in myself despite my ADHD, I don't need to make up a "positive side" to be ok.

MY positive attributes are no more imaginary than yours are. I can attribute them to what ever I want and if I want to feel special because I am ADHD who in the hell are you to mock me or any one else for that matter???

Quote:
Funk, J., Chessare, J., Weaver, M., & Exley, A. (1993, April). Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, creativity, and the effects of methylphenidate. Pediatrics, 91(4), 816. Retrieved September 16, 2009, from Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection database

Dug deeply for this did ya 1993 lets see this is what 16 years old

Basic over view from what is written - They studied 19 boys and did some clinical testing of a small range possibilities regarding what ever constitutes creativity in the lab and the ADHD boys all 19 of them failed to wow the pants of a bunch of bored researchers weather they were on ritalin or not and upon this I am to totally revamp my perspective - not happening

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
chips (09-17-09), Elandruss (09-24-09), Maurice (09-24-09), Michiko74 (09-21-09), odsybmx734 (09-24-09)
Old 09-17-09, 05:39 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,092 Times in 420 Posts
Archon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
Calling people names such as dumb simply because they have a different perspective really demontsrates just how secure one is in thier personal percepition.

You don’t get it do you ??? Brief explanation shall we - Some people view themselves separately from their ADD while others do not.

I can no more separate me from my ADD than I can separate myself from my gender.
He wasn't calling people dumb, he was calling the implicit assumption that there must be a positive to ADHD dumb. There are some situations in life where not obvious positives can be found, yet people feel the need to "look for the silver lining" in order to make themselves feel better. I don't blame these people, but their belief is illogical.

Basic over view from what is written - They studied 19 boys and did some clinical testing of a small range possibilities regarding what ever constitutes creativity in the lab and the ADHD boys all 19 of them failed to wow the pants of a bunch of bored researchers weather they were on ritalin or not and upon this I am to totally revamp my perspective - not happening [/quote]

It's still more studies than the "ADHD = creativity" crowd have produced funnily enough :P
The Following User Says Thank You to Archon For This Useful Post:
indy (09-21-09)
Old 09-17-09, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
He wasn't calling people dumb, he was calling the implicit assumption that there must be a positive to ADHD dumb.
This. Thank you Archon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823
Funnily enough there are only four hits for "ADHD" + "creativity" in the Psychology and Behavioral Health database I'm using (I will use another next time I feel so inclined, just for variety! Maybe PsycINFO), only three of those are relevant, and of those three, none of them demonstrate any positive link between ADHD and creativity (one of them demonstrates that children with ADHD are less creative than age-matched peers with regard to inventiveness on an imagery task).
Old 09-17-09, 08:06 AM
Super Meowaderator

meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the adult section please can we keep this about adults.

There is no data saying ADDers can't be creative nor is there any evidence that of those ADDers who are creative that the ADD can't possibly have a positive effect on that creativity. Why the need to cram us all into one narrow box?

Quote:
yet people feel the need to "look for the silver lining" in order to make themselves feel better. I don't blame these people, but their belief is illogical.
Expecting every one to see them selves as inferior because that is what you believe is illogical

If you think people are looking for a silver linings simply make them selves feel better your reason for trying to removing the silver lining would be??? {an honest question}

I believe that all traits have a positive negative and neutral aspect so my perspective isn’t just narrowly confined to my own conditions. I apply this to life experiences as well. It is a personal way of life that promotes balance in perspective – This prevents me from not only catastrophizing things but prevents me from glamorizing them as well. I hardly find that to be illogical, it simply doesn’t fit neatly into the impaired ADD point of view.

I find the impaired view to be to limiting and of little practical value as far as functioning day in and day out. I am about functioning not much else matters

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Addr68 (09-18-09), chips (09-20-09), Lunacie (09-21-09), pADDyjay (09-19-09)
Old 09-17-09, 08:13 AM
Super Meowaderator

Quote:
He wasn't calling people dumb, he was calling the implicit assumption that there must be a positive to ADHD dumb
If I said that seeing ADD as an impairment is stupid and you held that perspective yourself how would you take the remark??

Old 09-17-09, 08:51 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Archon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Expecting every one to see them selves as inferior because that is what you believe is illogical
I am confused, I never asked anyone to see themselves as inferior, nor do I believe I have that capability in the grand majority of cases. What I did say is that sometimes the negatives in life do not confer any benefits.

Quote:
If you think people are looking for a silver linings simply make them selves feel better your reason for trying to removing the silver lining would be??? {an honest question}
Great question, I had to think about this. My reason for trying to remove the silver lining is that I have this innate desire to live a life of logical integrity. Others are free to believe whatever they wish, logical or illogical.

Quote:
I believe that all traits have a positive negative and neutral aspect so my perspective isn’t just narrowly confined to my own conditions. I apply this to life experiences as well. It is a personal way of life that promotes balance in perspective – This prevents me from not only catastrophizing things but prevents me from glamorizing them as well. I hardly find that to be illogical, it simply doesn’t fit neatly into the impaired ADD point of view.
Pragmatically, it's not a bad coping skill, I won't argue otherwise. However the premise is sketchy, some traits are just plain undesirable. ADHD is by DEFINITION impairment, as far as clinicians are concerned, if you are not impaired then you do not have ADHD.[/quote]

Quote:
I find the impaired view to be to limiting and of little practical value as far as functioning day in and day out. I am about functioning not much else matters
The greatest person on the planet could have ADHD. He'd be less able than he would be without ADHD, but he'd still better than everyone else. I am about truth myself and not much else matters :P

Quote:
If I said that seeing ADD as an impairment is stupid and you held that perspective yourself how would you take the remark??
I would ask for your logic behind this remark. If it was unassailable I would change my beliefs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Archon For This Useful Post:
CptNemo (09-18-09), Fierwing (09-22-09)
Old 09-17-09, 11:17 AM
Contributor

Infinity is a jewel in the roughInfinity is a jewel in the roughInfinity is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Basic over view from what is written - They studied 19 boys and did some clinical testing of a small range possibilities regarding what ever constitutes creativity in the lab and the ADHD boys all 19 of them failed to wow the pants of a bunch of bored researchers weather they were on ritalin or not and upon this I am to totally revamp my perspective - not happening
I'm with you on this one ...as far as reserch is not the end all be all.

how willing we are to hang our hats on research especially when the numbers are so few .

But when thats all one has to read and its done in a controled manner by those who are respected in thier feilds . Hats are grabbed from those hat stands .and worn .

I don't let statistics be the final say and get in my way.

I do not attribute my rebellious tenasity to ADHD either.

LOL!

I will say the poster has some very positve suggestions to contimplate .

if your a person who tends to get hyperfocused in the moment its rather natural to get emotionally influenced at that moment and things can appeare as all good or all bad.

subject to change with the seneary .

Im trying to keep my focus on understanding "executive functioning" and how that relates to the difficulties people with ADHD have and how that can be helped through medication .

weather medication strips one of thier creativity. I know not. I would hope not.

I haven't seen anyone here lacking in creativity or inventiveness so far.

This veiw is from myself as a relative newbie in the field of ADHD and someone who has been focused on as having "charater problems" which are the reason for my apparent exective functioning failing through out my life.

My lateness due was and is due to a need for control and sabotaging closeness. My concerns about my difficulites with school work and not feeling effective chalked up to the devaluing of myself . HUH? yet thinking Im superior as well ..HUH?

yeah heck I get real peveed at myself when I show up a half hour late for my movies I take myself too. How am I suposed to be intimate with myself when I have this need for control!!!!!

sigh...

Infinity~
Old 09-17-09, 04:08 PM

Re: Positive qualities in ADD people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckie
I'll begin with the most common, my counselor said we are more creative and have different way to think of things. Like if the door is closed; instead of trying to push it, we would go around and find some windows or other ways to get in.
But wouldn't it be more fruitful to just open the door, like a normal person? Regardless...

Funk, J., Chessare, J., Weaver, M., & Exley, A. (1993, April). Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, creativity, and the effects of methylphenidate. Pediatrics, 91(4), 816. Retrieved September 16, 2009, from Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk et al
ABSTRACT. Given that children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are more impulsive than peers, this study explored whether they are correspondingly more creative, and whether creativity declines when impulsivity is decreased through methylphenidate (Ritalin) therapy. A repeated-measures quasi-experimental design was used to compare the performance of 19 boys with previously diagnosed ADHD and 21 comparison boys aged 8 through 11 on two administrations of alternate forms of the Torrance Tests of Creative Thinking-Figural (nonverbal). Boys with ADHD received prescribed methylphenidate only for the first session. Overall, mean Torrance summary scores for comparison boys (mean = 115.1, SD = 16.1) were higher than for boys with ADHD (mean = 107.6, SD = 12.7). However, the difference between means was small (7%) and did not meet the 25% criterion for a clinically significant difference. No changes in performance over time (comparison group) or medication state (ADHD group) were observed. These data suggest that, when measured nonverbally, the creative thinking performance of boys with ADHD is not superior to that of peers who do not have ADHD. Regarding the effects of methylphenidate, prescribed therapy did not influence performance on this measure of creative thinking.[ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]
Abraham, A., Daum, I., Güntürkün, O., Siefen, R., & Windmann, S. (2006). Creative thinking in adolescents with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Child Neuropsychology, 12 (2), 111-123. Retrieved on September 10, 2009 from Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham et al
A widened attentional focus, that is typically associated with ADHD, has been postulated to be accompanied by enhanced creative ability. However, creativity has been only limitedly examined in ADHD. Performance across several creativity measures were investigated in three groups: adolescents with ADHD, those with conduct disorder, and a healthy control sample. The ADHD group exhibited selective cognitive advantages and disadvantages by demonstrating an enhanced ability in overcoming the constraining influence of examples, but a reduced capacity to generate a functional invention during an imagery task. These findings are interpreted with reference to inhibitory control mechanisms and the contextual modulation of creative cognition. [ABSTRACT FROM AUTHOR]
And now that we've put that one in the ground, re: Intelligence.

Kaplan, B., Crawford, S., Dewey, D., & Fisher, G. (2000, September). The IQs of Children with ADHD Are Normally Distributed. Journal of Learning Disabilities, 33(5), 425. Retrieved September 17, 2009, from Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaplan et al
The purpose of this investigation was to determine whether or not attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)--when there was an absence of reading problems--was associated with having a high IQ. The vocabulary and block design short forms of the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children-Third Edition were administered to 63 children with ADHD, 69 children with reading difficulties (RD), and 68 children with comorbid ADHD + RD. Results indicated that the distributions of estimated Full Scale IQs (FSIQ) for each of the three groups of children did not differ significantly from a normal distribution, with the majority of children (more than 50%) in each group scoring in the average range. The percentage of children with ADHD who scored in the above-average range for FSIQ was not significantly higher than the percentages of children in the other two groups. No significant group differences emerged for estimated FSIQ, vocabulary, or block design. It was concluded that children with ADHD are no more likely to have an above-average IQ than are other children.
Old 09-18-09, 12:30 AM

Since Infinity brought it back up ...

Quote:

Ok, first of all, dismissing a study based on its abstract is a bit silly, but I realize that's all I posted. And your description of the study is incorrect based on the abstract but whatever. Here's what we've got.

What are we trying to demonstrate? What is the null hypothesis?

There are multiple things being tested. For the purposes of this discussion, I'm going to ignore the research on whether or not methylphenidate influences creativity - the answer to that question based on this research is "no." The preponderance of evidence backs this conclusion. Regardless, we're interested in the other hypothesis: ADHD children will be significantly more or less creative than our peers, defined in this case by having a 25% difference in mean scores.

H1: The difference between ADHD kids and non-ADHD kids on the Torrance Tests of Creative Thinking-Figural (nonverbal) will be >25%.

That makes the null hypothesis:

H0: The difference between ADHD kids and non-ADHD kids on the TTCT-F will not be >25%.

So, in order to get our samples, children ages 8-11 were recruited by mailings to parents with names obtained through a local ADHD parent support group, the practices of hospital based pediatricians, and a private school. To be accepted into the experimental group, they needed to have been diagnosed with ADHD by a physician or MDT, they must currently be prescribed methylphenidate (because of the other part of the study, which we're ignoring), and they must have elevations in the Conners Hyperacivity Index based on Bx when not taking MPH. Children were controlled for intelligence to rule out gross underintelligence.

A pilot study was performed, and based on the results of the pilot study, we calculated a statistical power of .97 for detecting a 25% difference in TTCT-F scores with sample sizes of 15 in both the experimental and control groups.

Statistical power is the probability of rejecting the null hypothesis when the alternative hypothesis is true. In this case, there is a 97% probability that if there is a 25% difference, we will reject the null hypothesis (and conclude that there is a 25% difference between the groups). That's pretty strong. Most researchers will accept .80 as adequate. Medical studies are typically held to a higher standard, usually .90 to .95. This study has a power of .97. This is exactly why the fact that the sample size is "only 19" doesn't really matter - the results of this study are far more than adequate to test our hypothesis with the sample size given.

Of the subject pool, we accepted 19 boys into our experimental group, and 21 boys into our control group (this actually increases the power, but we're not about to recalculate power at this point!).

The test administered was the Torrance Test of Creative Thinking-Figural. I will let the researchers describe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk et al, p. 817-818
The Torrance Tests of Creative Thinking is a highly respected battery of verbal and non-verbal measures of multiple components of creative thinking. Reliability is adequate, and validity studies suggest that the test does measure some important dimensions of creativity. We chose the Figural (nonverbal) version of the Torrance. This consists of two equivalent forms (A and B), each with three 10-minute drawing activities The child is given partial line drawings and asked to make original pictures and give each one a title. Then each drawing is scored using objective criteria. The primary measure of creative thinking is the Creativity Index, a summary score which is calculated by averaging the standard scores (mean = 100, SD = 20) from five norm-referenced categories of specific creative abilities, and then adding the score (range = 0 to 26) from the 13-item criterion-referenced Creative Strengths Checklist (Table 1).
So we're not just looking at a "small range possibilities of whatever constitutes creativity in a lab." We're actually looking at a validated, objective measure of creativity.

The statistical measure used is a 2x2 repeated-measures ANOVA with a MANOVA of the repeated measures. Gonna try to walk you through what this means.

The measures that were tested were:

Order of test form administration (F[1,36] = 1.20, P = .28)
Thinking scores across dose ranges (Pearson r = -.29, P = .24)
Time (F[1,38] = .01, P = .90)
Medication state (in the ADHD sample) (F[1,38] = .39, P = .54)

And the one we're interested in:

Comparison boys vs. boys with ADHD on the Creativity Index (F[1,38] = 4.37, P = .04)

So, what does this mean?

F is the result of the F test. The F test is used to determine whether or not any of the variables (in this case, comparison boys vs. boys with ADHD) are actually different from the natural variability we would expect. F = (variance of the group means)/(mean of the within-group variances).

Sadly, I don't have access to the data here, so I can't walk you through the calculation. What they're going to do is take the variance of the group means (the variance of the mean of the results of the ADHD group and the non-ADHD group) and divide this by the mean of the variances of each group. The numbers in the brackets are the degrees of freedom - 1 is the number of groups minus 1, so 2-1, and the other is the total number of subjects minus one, or 38. Why it's 38 and not 39 I don't know, to be honest.

This yields a result of 4.37.

Using those degrees of freedom, and an alpha of .05, we come to critical values of 4.098 and 7.359.

The result falls within the critical values and therefore we cannot reject the null hypothesis. There is no 25% difference between subject groups.

What result did we find? We found that the kids without ADHD scored 7% higher on the average than the kids with ADHD. But! This isn't significant with regards to the study, because our null hypothesis was that there would not be a significant (>25%) difference, and, in fact, there was not.

Thus we must conclude that there is no significant difference between children with ADHD and children without ADHD on the Torrance Tests for Creative Thinking-Figural.

And that is why 19 subjects is enough and it has nothing to do with "wowing" anybody's pants off and you should never outright dismiss studies unless you understand the statistics in play and what they mean.

Now, the burden is on you to demonstrate that this study is incorrect by performing the same (or better) study under the same (or better) conditions and using the same (or better) statistical measures. Otherwise, it's only reasonable to accept that the numbers aren't lying, because they certainly aren't made up, or subjective, or open to interpretation. Nobody's pants needed to be wowed, here. Numbers don't lie.

Edit: just in case I'm wrong about something, it's been 2 years since I've taken a statistics course and I don't have my notes handy nor do I have access to the original data, so if I've confused the math somewhere, let me know. I'm not infallible. Though I assure you that the math is.

Last edited by Trooper Keith; 09-18-09 at 12:43 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trooper Keith For This Useful Post:
indy (09-21-09), scarygreengiant (07-06-11)
Old 09-18-09, 08:09 AM

Thanked 6,005 Times in 2,808 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This. Thank you Archon.

Funnily enough there are only four hits for "ADHD" + "creativity" in the Psychology and Behavioral Health database I'm using (I will use another next time I feel so inclined, just for variety! Maybe PsycINFO), only three of those are relevant, and of those three, none of them demonstrate any positive link between ADHD and creativity (one of them demonstrates that children with ADHD are less creative than age-matched peers with regard to inventiveness on an imagery task).
There is a problem here- cleverness, and quoting lists of other peoples ideas will only get you so far. You run the risk of assuming that the whole world has been conceived in the minds of the people who do the studies, and the people who are prepared to fund the studies.

Societies that rely on argument by authority inevitably ossify. Look at the paralysis that descended upon China with the consolidation of the cult of the ancestors encouraged by Confucianism- or the way scientific thought was poisoned through the Dark Ages and the Medeival Period by the assumption that because it had been written by the Greek masters like Galen it must be so. Don't you recall what a radical step it was when after centuries people actually started stepping out and relying on their own observations?

There are actually serious problems here- and I see many truly dreadful outcomes of standard ADHD therapy. This is more than a point scoring exercise-there are people who are taking real damage. Outsiders who have not been there can never really grasp our experience, and it is the experience of ADHD people that can add more to helping us than all the lists complied by the "objective" scientists.

You remind us in your sig how clever you are -so lets see what that cleverness can do to help us all. Cleverness needs to be put to a good use to be of value. However not even Phaedrus was able to face the question of what is quality without risk to his soul.

I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.

both by:
Max Planck: Nobel Prize 1918 for inventing quantum physics.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
Addr68 (09-18-09), chips (09-18-09), CptNemo (09-20-09), Wintermute (09-22-09), xraylady33 (09-21-09)
Old 09-18-09, 11:26 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

This is all good and well, but the claim has been made that ADHD is just another name for creativity.

It is quite reasonable to ask for some evidence that may even hint that this may be actually be the case.
Old 09-18-09, 07:02 PM

Thanked 13,642 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I don't sit still. I speak out of turn. I interrupt people. I finish their sentences. I talk entirely too much and about entirely too personal things. I overdisclose. If I'm started on a topic about which I'm knowledgeable, I'll go and I have a very hard time adapting to a new conversation.

I don't attend well, again, because I get so bored. It's not that my mind isn't focused, or something like this, and it's not like I have sluggish cognitive tempo or somesuch. I don't. Sometimes I'll tune people out who are talking directly to me. "Keith?" "What? Oh I'm sorry, say everything over again, from __________. I got distracted." This typically means I'm bored with whatever, though. My brain has gone on to find something else.

I'm ADHD in the sense Barkley talks about - my problems are with inhibition and intrinsic motivation. I get very bored. I need to be doing things, but I don't have an easy time of finding things to do because they aren't rewarding. They don't interest me. They bore me. It's a horrible curse, to be constantly bored and finding nothing interesting enough to break the boredom.

I can't think of any positive characteristics of mine that come from the fact that I'm disinhibited, easily bored, poorly motivated, and emotionally labile. Not one. "Creativity" is not symptomatic of ADHD*. Intelligence is unrelated to ADHD. Social skills? Generally believed to be impaired by ADHD.

So what should I do about the fact that I have ADHD? Cope. I should cope with it. I don't believe I should go finding feelgood reasons to pat myself on the back and say "it's ok, because you have _____ trait that makes you unique! Thank goodness for ADHD making me a beautiful snowflake!" No. That's dumb.

More adaptive, I believe, would be "welp, you have all these impairments, but it's ok. You're still a good person and you still function well enough. Soldier on."

* Funk, J., Chessare, J., Weaver, M., & Exley, A. (1993, April). Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, creativity, and the effects of methylphenidate. Pediatrics, 91(4), 816. Retrieved September 16, 2009, from Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection database.
KMiller- you just described me more perfectly than I have ever seen. Thank you.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?