ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 09-26-09, 10:51 PM

canitbeADD is on a distinguished road
Wellbutrin makes me tired and unfocused and negates Dexedrine

I have read posts making both of these statements and thought i would share my experience. I have been on wellbutrin 100mg Sr/day for one week and Dexedrine 5mg (i'm very sensitive) for 6 weeks.

I wake up with energy, take Dexedrine, one hour later take Wellbutrin.
Then...

1 hour later: start getting tired, feel unfocused,

3 hours later: extremely unfocused, still no energy

5 hours later: starting to feel a little bit better

8 hours later: I feel like the Dexedrine is actually working now

10 hours later: no longer feel wellbutrin, feel normal effect of Dexedrine, can concentrate, can get work done etc.

Is this normal? I actually feel worse on wellbutrin. I am debating taking it before i go to sleep instead but i am worried it will keep me awake.
Old 09-27-09, 12:00 AM

mensa99 is on a distinguished road
Re: Wellbutrin makes me tired and unfocused and negates Dexedrine

After reading your timeline of effects, I would take a guess that you are actually experiencing the opposite of what you might think is the Dexedrine is working towards the latter hours after taking Wellbutrin SR but is actually the Wellbutrin SR finally reaching peak plasma levels so that you do: concentrate, get work done, etc. I am only saying that what might seem is Dexedrine effects could be Wellbutrin SR starting to "level" out in relationship to dopamine and norepinephrine (which are some of the same neurotransmitters that Wellbutrin works on). I would presuppose that you are taking the Dexedrine Spansule 5 mg capsule since you mention so many hours that go by before you feel the "normalities" come back.

Either way, you can def. feel worse on Wellbutrin (any formulation) when starting the ramp-up period and "worse" in your case sounds like blunted ADHD symptoms such as concentration, focus, etc. since you are introducing a new medication into your brain and were so well accustomed to just Dexedrine. I really hope that you will feel "better" soon and look for blood levels of Wellbutrin to peak (per medication information and addforums.com user experiences) at around the 4 week period.

Taking it at night may cause insomnia. That is hit or miss with most users. You would, however, have to take it the next PM meaning def. do not take it the next morning if you decide to try the nighttime trial as you would be taking 200 mg in one day otherwise if you took 100 mg the same day you took it in the AM. That is about give or 30 or 32 hours forward from the last AM dose to keep the dosing right since the metabolites of bupropion hcl are so very long. Do not give up if either schedule does not "feel" good for a good 3 more weeks as this just might be one of the best medications you have run by esp. since you will end up having a nice synergistic chemical effect once Wellbutrin levels are at the 4 week level combined with Dexedrine stimulation.

The list goes on with the "what ifs" - just keep researching how other people have done in this forum with Wellbutrin in general and maybe that will provide you with a compass as to why you feel the way you do each week and after the 4 week period. Best Wishes. Mensa99
Old 09-27-09, 12:21 AM

canitbeADD is on a distinguished road

Great post! thanks.

I too had considered that maybe i have been experiencing the wellbutrin effects later in the night as opposed to effects of it wearing off, this is why i wonder if taking it before sleep would be best. If this theory were correct I would be good to go by morning (though yes it could interfere with sleep).

Thanks for your advice on the timing.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-09, 04:04 AM

mensa99 is on a distinguished road

You are very much welcome. Anytime. Glad to see you found the response that would help you best and glad to know you are willing to do what is necessary to get more education for yourself! That IS the best medicine Mensa99
Old 09-28-09, 09:58 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

well I've been on wellbutrin xl 150 for two months now. I usually have to add it for a few months while on my stims during the year. I can't focus half as well , the only difference is that I'm not mean when I take it , since most of the time I can a bit overly arrogant and kind of an **** if you know what I mean . I honestly would rather be that way , at least I'm productive.