ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Depression
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-09, 05:34 AM

astronaut is on a distinguished road
Depression and waking up in the morning

One of the places that my depression screws with my day the most is in the morning. If I can get up and get some coffee and adderall, I'm fine. But the first few seconds, as my alarm goes off, are the worst. They may only last a literal few seconds, but they are horrible and can mean the difference between getting up now and getting up three hours from now. Does anyone else have this problem?

I feel like there's a threshold - a place where sheer willpower buckles and isn't enough. The trick is to train my mind and body to raise that threshold as far as I can. But this is just *$%^%ing ridiculous. I'm usually a high-energy, feel-good kinda guy, but in those first few moments as my alarm goes off, I don't care about the world, about life, school, work, money, responsibilities, fun, video games, chess, Stephen Hawking books.....I mean, John Stuart Mill of his own free will couldn't get me up.

I've never been a morning person, but the last few years in college have really gotten crazy. I used to be able to sit, relax, and focus before bed. That would help me jump right up at the first instant my buzzer would go off. And now? Now I don't even know it's my alarm. My cell phone gets worked into my dreams, as does my alarm clock itself. Half the time I don't even know it's there and the other half I would rather die of snorting syanide with shards of glass than get up.

Has anyone had any good fortune with finding a remedy against this?

A.D.D. primarily inattentive w/ a reading disability. Yeah, it doesn't go too well with being in college, but good ol' Concerta is keeping me together for now
Old 10-06-09, 07:23 AM
ADDvanced Member

Billy79 is on a distinguished road
Re: Depression and waking up in the morning

i think maybe thats pretty common? Not quite as hard you describe it though. I mean for half an hour or one in the start. I hate everything and dont find ANY meaning during the morning. so i try not to think at all, and usually wears off...
Old 10-06-09, 07:41 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,779 Times in 1,010 Posts
Driver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond repute

This is a major problem for me. Once I'm up, I'm fine, but on some days it take me hours to get out of bed. It seems all my brain wants to do is sleep: I'm unable to think of reasons to get out of bed.

Multiple alarms, cell-phone reminders, fancy alarm clocks, alarm clocks on the other side of the room, etc do not work. I'm almost to the point where I'm willing to hire someone to come into my bedroom when my alarm goes off, throw open the curtains and then engage me in a conversation to wake up my brain.
astronaut (10-06-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-09, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy79 View Post
i think maybe thats pretty common? Not quite as hard you describe it though. I mean for half an hour or one in the start. I hate everything and dont find ANY meaning during the morning. so i try not to think at all, and usually wears off...
Yeah, I know what you mean. For me, it's like what some scientists write about the big bang - it all worked itself out later on (here we are) but they'll focus on what all the matter was doing in the first three seconds after it all exploded. I see my morning self like that: it's what happens in the first few seconds that matters. My problem is that I want to have more control over myself that early. I mean, I want to see the sun rise without having to stay up all night!

A.D.D. primarily inattentive w/ a reading disability. Yeah, it doesn't go too well with being in college, but good ol' Concerta is keeping me together for now
Old 10-06-09, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver View Post
This is a major problem for me. Once I'm up, I'm fine, but on some days it take me hours to get out of bed. It seems all my brain wants to do is sleep: I'm unable to think of reasons to get out of bed.

Multiple alarms, cell-phone reminders, fancy alarm clocks, alarm clocks on the other side of the room, etc do not work. I'm almost to the point where I'm willing to hire someone to come into my bedroom when my alarm goes off, throw open the curtains and then engage me in a conversation to wake up my brain.
That is exactly what I'm talking about! Sometimes one of my friends calls me, but I don't even hear the phone ring anymore. I'm thinking about trying out some of those computer alarm clock programs. The kind that can play music files at a specific time. I wouldn't even have to play music, though. I could set some stand-up comedy, the audio track to The Matrix, or something really, REALLY annoying....which is hard for me, because I don't get annoyed easily. I guess it would have to be Barney, Reality TV, or Hannah Montana to meet the criteria.... I think I may have a new idea!

Old 10-07-09, 05:35 PM

Well, after I started this thread the other night, I downloaded a program called Alarm Clock Pro. I set it to play a stand up comedy album I have on iTunes...and it worked! But when I tried it this morning, I immediately felt like my brain was starting to adapt and get way too comfortable with it. Maybe I should put a really diverse set of files on the playlist and set it to random. That way it's completely different every time.

Also, a friend of mine told me about this alarm clock on wheels. When it goes off, it runs around your floor, so you have to get up and chase it to get it to turn off...think of it as a Roomba with a buzzer.

But I did some looking around, and I found these very unique alarm clocks on ThinkGeek.com, that just might work for some of us with more alarm clock issues than we can shake a stick at.

Snuz N Luz Wifi Donation Alarm Clock - Be forced to donate money to a non=profit organization you hate when you don't get up.

Epoch Alarm Clock - The time is in binary, hexidecimal or something else, so you never really know for sure what time it is unless you learn to read in that language.

Neverlate Executive Alarm Clock - An alarm clock with more features than you could ever use...and it can play mp3's!

Neverlate 7-day Alarm Clock
- Similar to the Executive Alarm Clock but with different features.

Clocky Robotic Alarm - A Roomba with a buzzer. Chase it to turn it off.

Old 10-07-09, 07:28 PM

Driver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond reputeDriver has a reputation beyond repute

I tried the find 'n' fetch alarm clocks: didn't work. I'd simply get up, turn it off and then jump into bed. Also those style of alarm clocks tend to run on batteries...which I tend to forget to replace or recharge (because once I leave the bedroom, the problem of 'no batteries' quickly leaves my memory).

What I'm currently trialling is a bedside lamp with a 48W (160W equiv.) CFL 5000K bulb in it: it's f-king bright (approx. 2500 lumens), and gives off a natural daylight white colour.

I've also ordered an electric oil burner: I'm going to try burning peppermint or eucalyptus oil in the morning to awaken my brain. I might even try some strong mints too.
astronaut (10-07-09)
Old 10-07-09, 11:06 PM

Hmm....the electric oil burner definitely sounds like a good idea. I think I'm going to look into that.

Old 10-07-09, 11:19 PM

redhills is on a distinguished road

Can advise only one thing - try to keep yoursdelf busy and you'll not have any time for depression.
Old 10-07-09, 11:49 PM

Now I'm just wondering what are some really crazy cool, wicked awesomely-annoying tracks I can play so I will have no choice but to suffer or get up. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated, even if they are only on YouTube. I can extract the audio.

Old 10-11-09, 09:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

willwill30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver View Post
What I'm currently trialling is a bedside lamp with a 48W (160W equiv.) CFL 5000K bulb in it: it's f-king bright (approx. 2500 lumens), and gives off a natural daylight white colour.
Is this the one that starts out dim, and then gradually gets brighter to simulate the sun rising? I think it's a great idea as long as it's not instantly bright, that would just make me mad.
Old 10-11-09, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwill30 View Post
Is this the one that starts out dim, and then gradually gets brighter to simulate the sun rising? I think it's a great idea as long as it's not instantly bright, that would just make me mad.

Insta-bright. And it didn't work today.

Slept through 3 alarms and 2 phone calls....
Old 10-13-09, 06:26 AM
Jr Member

attic is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I can't wake myself up. All I wanna do when I hear the alarm clock go off is sleep. When I'm up later, I get so mad at myself for sleeping all day. But when the time comes to actually wake up, I have a different mindset. It sucks. I'm lame.
Old 10-13-09, 06:01 PM

I've so far had some measurable success by doping myself up to the eyeballs at about 9pm and going to bed. It's made getting up somewhat easier.
Old 10-15-09, 04:42 AM

Okay, so here's the arrangement I've been using for a whole week: I have three alarms - my cell phone, alarm clock, and then Alarm Clock Pro on my desktop computer. Alarm Clock Pro goes off first, playing The Clash (If you don't listen to them, as I didn't before, I think they are excellent for something like this...they're not too loud, and their psuedo-reggae derivative sounds make waking up to hard rock much more welcoming to the ears). In order to turn the music off, I have to get up, walk over to my computer, turn on the monitor, and only then i can either exit or hit snooze. Within five minutes, my cell phone and regular alarm clock go off on opposite sides of the room. At this point, it's basically my normal two-alarm-clock arrangement, but what makes it all work a lot better is the computer - I can play absolutely whatever I want. In fact, Alarm Clock Pro does everything from turning the screensaver on/off (good if you password your screensaver and want to have to type in the password to ultimately exit the software) to adjusting the system volume, interfacing with your Address Book, working with iTunes, and everything else listed here.

It has definitely made a difference so far. Now my challenge is to stay rather unfamiliar with The Clash to keep my brain from getting too comfortable with hearing their music.

The Following User Says Thank You to astronaut For This Useful Post:
thebeefs (10-16-09)