ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 10-10-09, 04:39 PM
Contributor

weareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really nice
Effect of caffeine powder on Inattentives

I find it gives me a boost but makes my inattentiveness even worse. I drink about 10 cups of coffee at work (small cups of powdered crap from a machine).

it kind of turns me from an Inattentive to a Combined.

Trouble is, It starts to make me feel a bit sick late in the day.

I've ordered some caffeine powder to try- anyone have experience of it's effects in relation to just drinking coffee?
Old 10-10-09, 05:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,628 Times in 881 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of
Re: Effect of caffeine powder on Inattentives

Treating with caffeine on a normal basis is just not the best way to go. Caffeine is a stimulant and it works, but the side effects of long-term make it not a good idea. Here's an excerpt from Wiki:

Overuse
In large amounts, and especially over extended periods of time, caffeine can lead to a condition known as caffeinism.[76][77] Caffeinism usually combines caffeine dependency with a wide range of unpleasant physical and mental conditions including nervousness, irritability, anxiety, tremulousness, muscle twitching (hyperreflexia), insomnia, headaches, respiratory alkalosis, and heart palpitations.[78][79] Furthermore, because caffeine increases the production of stomach acid, high usage over time can lead to peptic ulcers, erosive esophagitis, and gastroesophageal reflux disease.[80]
There are four caffeine-induced psychiatric disorders recognized by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition: caffeine intoxication, caffeine-induced anxiety disorder, caffeine-induced sleep disorder, and caffeine-related disorder not otherwise specified (NOS).

Caffeine intoxication

Main symptoms of caffeine intoxication.[58]

An acute overdose of caffeine, usually in excess of about 300 milligrams, dependent on body weight and level of caffeine tolerance, can result in a state of central nervous system over-stimulation called caffeine intoxication (DSM-IV 305.90),[81] or colloquially the "caffeine jitters". The symptoms of caffeine intoxication are not unlike overdoses of other stimulants. It may include restlessness, nervousness, excitement, insomnia, flushing of the face, increased urination, gastrointestinal disturbance, muscle twitching, a rambling flow of thought and speech, irritability, irregular or rapid heart beat, and psychomotor agitation.[79] In cases of much larger overdoses, mania, depression, lapses in judgment, disorientation, disinhibition, delusions, hallucinations, and psychosis may occur, and rhabdomyolysis (breakdown of skeletal muscle tissue) can be provoked.[82][83]
In cases of extreme overdose, death can result. The median lethal dose (LD50) given orally, is 192 milligrams per kilogram in rats.[2] The LD50 of caffeine in humans is dependent on weight and individual sensitivity and estimated to be about 150 to 200 milligrams per kilogram of body mass, roughly 80 to 100 cups of coffee for an average adult taken within a limited time frame that is dependent on half-life. Though achieving lethal dose with caffeine would be exceptionally difficult with regular coffee, there have been reported deaths from overdosing on caffeine pills, with serious symptoms of overdose requiring hospitalization occurring from as little as 2 grams of caffeine. An exception to this would be taking a drug such as fluvoxamine which blocks the liver enzyme responsible for the metabolism of caffeine, thus increasing the central effects and blood concentrations of caffeine dramatically at 5-fold. It is not contraindicated, but highly advisable to minimize the intake of caffeinated beverages, as drinking one cup of coffee will have the same effect as drinking five under normal conditions.[84][85][86][87] Death typically occurs due to ventricular fibrillation brought about by effects of caffeine on the cardiovascular system.
Treatment of severe caffeine intoxication is generally supportive, providing treatment of the immediate symptoms, but if the patient has very high serum levels of caffeine then peritoneal dialysis, hemodialysis, or hemofiltration may be required.

Anxiety and sleep disorders
Two infrequently diagnosed caffeine-induced disorders that are recognized by the American Psychological Association (APA) are caffeine-induced sleep disorder and caffeine-induced anxiety disorder, which can result from long-term excessive caffeine intake.
In the case of caffeine-induced sleep disorder, an individual regularly ingests high doses of caffeine sufficient to induce a significant disturbance in his or her sleep, sufficiently severe to warrant clinical attention.[81]
In some individuals, the large amounts of caffeine can induce anxiety severe enough to necessitate clinical attention. This caffeine-induced anxiety disorder can take many forms, from generalized anxiety to panic attacks, obsessive-compulsive symptoms, or even phobic symptoms.[81] Because this condition can mimic organic mental disorders, such as panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, bipolar disorder, or even schizophrenia, a number of medical professionals believe caffeine-intoxicated people are routinely misdiagnosed and unnecessarily medicated when the treatment for caffeine-induced psychosis would simply be to stop further caffeine intake.[88] A study in the British Journal of Addiction concluded that caffeinism, although infrequently diagnosed, may afflict as many as one person in ten of the population.[77] Co administration of theanine was shown to greatly reduce this caffeine-induced anxiety.[89]

Effects on memory and learning

Anhydrous caffeine

An array of studies found that caffeine could have nootropic effects, inducing certain changes in memory and learning. However, the tests performed contradict one another and the results have proven inconsistent and inconclusive.
Researchers have found that long-term consumption of low dose caffeine slowed hippocampus-dependent learning and impaired long-term memory in mice. Caffeine consumption for 4 weeks also significantly reduced hippocampal neurogenesis compared to controls during the experiment. The conclusion was that long-term consumption of caffeine could inhibit hippocampus-dependent learning and memory partially through inhibition of hippocampal neurogenesis.[90].
In another study, caffeine was added to rat neurons in vitro. The dendritic spines (a part of the brain cell used in forming connections between neurons) taken from the hippocampus (a part of the brain associated with memory) grew by 33% and new spines formed. After an hour or two, however, these cells returned to their original shape.[91]
Another study showed that human subjects—after receiving 100 milligrams of caffeine—had increased activity in brain regions located in the frontal lobe, where a part of the working memory network is located, and the anterior cingulate cortex, a part of the brain that controls attention. The caffeinated subjects also performed better on the memory tasks.[92]
However, a different study showed that caffeine could impair short term memory and increase the likelihood of the tip of the tongue phenomenon. The study allowed the researchers to suggest that caffeine could aid short-term memory when the information to be recalled is related to the current train of thought, but also to hypothesize that caffeine hinders short-term memory when the train of thought is unrelated.[93] In essence, caffeine consumption increases mental performance related to focused thought while it may decrease broad-range thinking abilities.

Effects on the heart
Caffeine binds to receptors on the surface of heart muscle cells which leads to an increase in the level of cAMP inside the cells (by blocking the enzyme that degrades cAMP), mimicking the effects of epinephrine (which binds to receptors on the cell that activate cAMP production). cAMP acts as a "second messenger," and activates a large number of protein kinase A (PKA; cAMP-dependent protein kinase). This has the overall effect of increasing the rate of glycolysis and increases the amount of ATP available for muscle contraction and relaxation. According to one study, caffeine in the form of coffee, significantly reduces the risk of heart disease in epidemiological studies. However, the protective effect was found only in participants who were not severely hypertensive (i.e. patients that are not suffering from a very high blood pressure). Furthermore, no significant protective effect was found in participants aged less than 65 years or in cerebrovascular disease mortality for those aged equal or more than 65 years.[94]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FrazzleDazzle For This Useful Post:
firstdesserts (10-11-09), meridian (07-18-10), qinkin (07-27-10)
Old 10-10-09, 05:16 PM
Contributor

weareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really niceweareacc is just really nice

Yeah, thanks.
Accepting that i am an adult, am happy to take responsibility for myself and that re-reading the information in your post will not answer my question...

Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-09, 02:02 PM
Contributor

PickMeUpRoadie is a name known to allPickMeUpRoadie is a name known to allPickMeUpRoadie is a name known to allPickMeUpRoadie is a name known to allPickMeUpRoadie is a name known to allPickMeUpRoadie is a name known to allPickMeUpRoadie is a name known to all

The only study I found was from 1973 in "Hyperkinetic children" (apparently not predominately inattentive). It involved replacing Methylphenidate with 200mg PO BID caffeine. It ended up giving the same effects as the methylphenidate, bu with less side effects. It was in the APA journal, I think in March of 1973 if you want to look it up.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data.”

“I never remember feeling tired by work, though idleness exhausts me completely”

"If we are going to be damned, let us be damned for what we really are." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard

"The saxophones...are not expected...to behave like demented cats... "
Ralph Vaughan Williams, notes to his Symphony No.9 in E minor

The Following User Says Thank You to PickMeUpRoadie For This Useful Post:
weareacc (10-13-09)
Old 07-18-10, 04:38 PM
Jr Member

Young Silk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareacc View Post
I find it gives me a boost but makes my inattentiveness even worse. I drink about 10 cups of coffee at work (small cups of powdered crap from a machine).

it kind of turns me from an Inattentive to a Combined.

Trouble is, It starts to make me feel a bit sick late in the day.

I've ordered some caffeine powder to try- anyone have experience of it's effects in relation to just drinking coffee?
Same here, I have to weigh the options.
Old 07-27-10, 12:45 AM

theDarkness will become famous soon enough

Haven't tried the powder, but I have found that caffeine works for me--along with my adderall--so long as I stick to the right dose at the right time of day. For me, a life-long drinker of caffeinated beverages, mostly soda. it works like this:

When I first get up, I have a Starbucks Double-Shot: Coffee and Cream. That's 130mg of caffeine in a tiny can, so you can down it fast w/o having to choke down a lot of liquid or calories. A little later in the AM, on my drive to work or when I first get to work, I take my Adderall (20mg, not the time-released stuff). At lunch, I have a Diet Coke, usually a 12oz can or a 20oz fountain version w/ice (if I eat out). If I have the 12oz at lunch, I'll have another 12oz sometime in the afternoon. I hit the second dose of Adderall about 3:30 PM (20mg).

This works well for me. The Adderall helps me focus. I'm careful to take it so that it's maximally effective when I'm in a place where I can be productive (taking it too early makes for a stressful morning of trying to get ready and out the door. Taking it too late leads to insomnia and/or an inability to wind down). The caffeine wakes up my brain and helps me think.

The two seem to work very nicely together, but only once I figured out how to balance them. And the dosages will be different for anyone. Being a coke and coffee drinker, I, at first, tried chopping them out all together in favor of Adderall, but that left me sluggish in the mornings, especially. Then, I tried my old way of doing it, which was, basically, to consume Diet Coke as if it were water. That left me jittery, as you can imagine. But I've finally struck a balance and my doc didn't bat an eye when I discussed this with him.
Old 07-27-10, 01:39 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

qinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to allqinkin is a name known to all

I do have the powder! lol, from like a year ago.. I still have tons of it.. I've been experimenting w/it as an insecticide.. ha ha ha..

I put a little bit in a dish w/caffeine mixed w/water, and I found a dead mosquito in it, the next morning..

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkness
When I first get up, I have a Starbucks Double-Shot: Coffee and Cream. That's 130mg of caffeine in a tiny can, so you can down it fast w/o having to choke down a lot of liquid or calories.
So, do you take meds? I do the exact same thing, but instead I take a little bit of adderall.

Soda is unhealthy, (it's just genetically altered corn, water, and caffeine).

Coffee has a huge carbon footprint and quality costs a lot.
Caffeine lowers my test scores, to barely scraping by..

I think that if you took no nervous system stimulants, none at all, you'd still do better than if you were on just caffeine or caffeine plus adderall..

It's just a hypothesis.. I could be dead wrong.. But if you must choose a stimulant, just take your meds and be done w/it, skip the StarBuck$