ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 10-14-09, 12:03 AM
ADDvanced Member

copperpenny is on a distinguished road
Adderall effects on face/skin (rosacea symptoms/dryness/enlarged pores/flaking?)

ok,

so the affect of adderall on my skin/face is complicated.

i took accutane several years ago, and it dried up the glands in my cheek and forehead area. however, my nose still produces oil.

i know adderall makes some people breakout/oily. with me, it makes my nose oily. however, it seems to dry out my cheek and forehead regions.

my hypothesis is that the increased oil is suppose to compensate for the dehydration, but since the accutane shut off my oil glands in the cheek/forhead regions, when i take adderall, i only experience the dehydration.

so my cheek/forhead areas are gettting rougher like sandpaper, fine wrinkles, pores enlarged, and some redness.

i mostly read complaints about adderall causing acne, but this is a lot different...does anybody else experience these effects from adderall? or can anyone explain if this is indeed a cause-effect relationship, and why its happening?
Old 10-14-09, 09:59 PM

Misfit is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall effects on face/skin (rosacea symptoms/dryness/enlarged pores/flaking?)

I am new to Adderall so I can't say if it's affecting my skin yet. I know years ago when I first started on ritalin I got A LOT of zits. Also when I started concerta I ended up with some. I am hoping it doesn't get worse. I am 32 and really sick of zits!

I have rosacea as well. I can see how stimulant medication could make rosacea worse...often with rosacea the capilliaries (pardon my spelling I have a bad headache) are inflammed...and near the surface of the skin...so stimulants speeding up the blood flow would probably make it a bit worse. I don't know I am not a doctor...as for the acne...I haven't figured that one out. It is definatly annoying!
Old 10-15-09, 02:21 PM

annamarie has a spectacular aura aboutannamarie has a spectacular aura about
Re: Adderall effects on face/skin (rosacea symptoms/dryness/enlarged pores/flaking?)

I'm on adderall now and my skin has gotten ridiculously dry...
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-09, 09:58 AM
Contributor

rd_wnc is a jewel in the roughrd_wnc is a jewel in the roughrd_wnc is a jewel in the rough

I think you're right in that Adderall dehydrates you and that can exacerbate clogged pores, acne and dermatitis type symptoms.

I also find I feel better and Adderall seems to be more effective if I force myself to guzzle water a few times a day. If I forget then I get a headache or just get really tired.