ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 10-17-09, 12:26 AM
ADDvanced Member

Simfish is a jewel in the roughSimfish is a jewel in the roughSimfish is a jewel in the rough
ugh i want to go to grad school

so here's the thing, I love learning about EVERY SINGLE scientific and social scientific topic there is known to man - I love to analyze those things, and I'm a prolific reader (even if my speed is so inconsistent). I really want to try for academia, as I feel like it fits me the most. Of course, tenure is difficult, but once you get tenure, academia (minus the teaching) may actually be one of the careers most suitable for ADD-type personalities (it seems that at least in math/science, academics care a lot less for conscientious behavior than do non-academics).

the thing is, though, that I am somewhat of a mess. Okay, so here's the thing: I have official diagnoses of Asperger's and ADHD. The inattentive symptoms were what bothered me most, but I guess I had enough impulsive symptoms to fit in with the ADHD diagnosis even though lethargy is more of a problem for me than too much energy (of course this makes stimulants more helpful for my case). The funny thing is that my stimulants make me more energetic and more prone to pacing/fidgeting, but the improvement in inattentiveness is far far more desirable than any decrease in well-being due to pacing/fidgeting.

well, also with the hyperactive thing - I'm not hyperactive when I have to formally talk to people, but I'm considerably more hyperactive when I talk to people who are used to me and can't reject me. It just makes me more alert when I shock people. I LOVE to shock people - people have so many taboos and I'm so weird that it's so easy for me to shock them and to get reactions/lulz. I kind of act like a troll, but I don't even flame or attack people - I just want to see them react to things since it makes me less bored.

plus, I'm also more hyperactive when I'm around people who can't reject me. when I'm with people who can potentially reject me (aka, almost everyone), I don't really act so hyperactive.

I also have issues with anxiety - in fact, I'm notorious for being very neurotic. I don't seem to fit the criteria for any anxiety disorder though, since I don't get the physical symptoms experienced by those who fit in with an anxiety disorder. But I can be relaxed - I'm just very reactive, and people are a huge source of stress for me. I don't know - I've been criticized so much that I practically gave up on people. Not that I have the patience to make real friendships anymore.

Ugh okay, so I do have so many issues. I haven't had the chance to talk about my issues with anyone for a long time. The thing is, that I didn't really act so hyperactive when I was a child - nor did teachers suspect that I had ADD. A lot of people who knew me don't think I have ADD. Mostly this is because they conflate ADD-I with ADHD (and since I did so well in grade school, but high intelligence often masks ADD, especially ADD-I, and intellectually, I was miles above my classmates - plus - I actually have an attention span for factual non-fiction material - which I'm intensely interested in - and which also happened to mask so much of my ADD-I since much of school learning is initially focused around that - but it's also amazing how little detail you need to pick up in school in order to do well in classes - but also I'm just really good and enthusiastic with memorizing non-fiction), but I also rarely talk since I hardly have any friends (+ I rarely talk since I gave up on people). I know a counsoler might be really helpful but my parents are very reluctant to pay (plus a counsoler would have to deal with so many of my issues - and part of it is that I just want to be myself - I hate conforming to social norms). Of course I do need to conform to some just to be functional.

Also counseling is very hit and miss. On top of that, it's very hard for people to understand me and I've been criticized for a lot of my behavior (I act so independently and disregard social norms so flagrantly without remorse that it offends people - even though everything I do is victimless).

===

Sigh, okay. Well, as for my background. I was officially diagnosed with ADHD a couple of weeks ago. I'm a 5th year student in college (I actually entered college 2 years early so I pretend that I'm just a 3rd year). I'm now on a clinical trial for Concerta (18-mg dose), and will probably stay on that dose for 6 months. My academic transcript is literally all over the place. I had ambitious plans and took graduate level courses but failed them. A positive-feedback-producing problem is that I didn't learn my intro material well **- and more importantly - I was quite haphazard in trying to review it - it's hard for me to learn things unless there's a concrete motivation for them - somehow - the easiest way for me to learn something is to jump on a tower and then to learn the material needed to support the tower.

** this killed me. frankly, i could have done better if i made better choices (I'm better at doing this now). of course, retaking classes is torture AND other people would notice, which would be insanely humiliating.

==

Okay, so now what? My GPA hovers around 3 - it will be hard for me to get it much higher than a 3. I already managed to alienate a lot of professors in the departments I'm most interested in - I contacted them, got them to care about me, but then I was retarded and obsessive and made stupid decisions and didn't follow up with them - and then they ignore my emails if I emailed them again. Okay, I have a new professor to do research with now - I'm fiercely determined to avoid the same mistakes again - the outcome of that remains to be seen. With graduate school, I ONLY have to CONVINCE the adcoms that I have the aptitude+knowledge+conscientiousness to succeed in research. As such, there are many stories of people sacrificing their GPAs for research (significantly so sometimes) and getting into top schools. Of course, it is difficult to predict whether I can do research at the level of those students. I learn best through inductive reasoning and classifying things. I actually really enjoy the "concrete sciences" - astronomy, earth/space sciences, biology, atmospheric sciences, neurobiology, pharmacology the most. I devour their books, read their books for fun, and propose all sorts of new crazy hypotheses (of course, most professors aren't in the position to encourage me to investigate them - plus - they're probably no the best things to investigate anyways).

I'm REALLY good at collecting information (organizing it is another matter, of course). In fact, I seem to have a flair for collecting it. But I'm seriously at the point where I don't even know if I can be recognized for my ability to do it. I WANT to do something that my talents are compatible with, and science seems to be the way to go. It's intensely hard for me to specialize since I'm so obsessed with each and every science, and as such I end up majoring in math (and I might have done better if I made different decisions - but I much rather learn naturally through scientific reasoning than with mathematical reasoning). Of course, many observers have noted that the quantification of the natural and social sciences (especially with massive new data collection+storage equipment) is the path of research that may produce explosive results in the near future. It is a path of research well-suited for one with Asperger's Syndrome.

I REALLY want to learn and to do science. But I don't know if I even could get into grad school, based on my GPA and lack of real research. I want to stay for 6 years and then to do 1-2 years of research without pay (while living with my parents). And then to get a recommendation strong enough to enter a good school (plus I anticipate high GRE scores since I got a 213 on the PSAT as a sophomore). GRE subject test scores also would probably be quite high (since I had very high SAT II subject test scores [790/800] and I got credit for self-studying 7-8 APs - so I'm a national AP scholar - although I self-studied 4 in 10th grade and 4-5 more 2 years later even though I wasnt in grade school anymore by then). Of course, the issue is this: massive curiosity and data collection aren't exactly the talents best suited in PhDs in the quantitative sciences. Quantitative science professors are probably more lenient than any other professional when it comes to low-conscientiousness/"abnormal" behaviors, provided that the person is still able to do research despite having those behaviors.

Ugh, so what should I do? I want to continue with the prof I'm currently with - and see how it goes from there. Of course, there's always the risk he may reject me later on - I have so many social abnormalities and the problem is that controlling them = thought suppression, which produces a rebound effect (in fact, I think that one of the CORE features of ADD is that their "rebound effects from thought suppression" are ESPECIALLY powerful - probably due to poor executive function control). Of course, meds help reduce the rebound effects, although I'll still have to wait and see how the Concerta works out for me. People note that I can be an EXTREMELY hard worker, but I also consume massive amounts of time on the Internet due to my massive curiosity. Of course, thought suppression of those also produces a rebound effect which makes studying more difficult, but at least I don't have any other obligations, so I have massive amounts of time (which I absolutely need). I do seem to have a lot of characteristics that are out of the norm. People tell me to sleep more, even though I've noticed that I feel VERY STUFFY when I sleep more than 8 hours in a night. In fact, I tend to be at my optimal levels of arousal when I slept for 3 hours in a night (although my arousal levels are far more variable when I sleep little - sometimes I'm alert at an unprecedented level - but sometimes it also makes me sleepy and prone to naps). That being said, I don't care that much about it, since I care MOST about achieving a level of alertness/arousal that's ABOVE a certain threshold.

Also I have issues with anxiety that make interactions with people pretty difficult. I convince myself that it's all well and okay in the first few meetings. But after that period of time, my issues from 3 conditions do start popping out. Anxiety with other people especially, since I'm SCARED OF PEOPLE. And then I often pretend to be someone else so that they can laugh at this moniker I created and reject this moniker rather than reject me.

==
And yeah, my learning style is just SO INTERESTING. to say the least. I first do a power-skim (or I impulsively convince myself that I can learn all the material in a matter of a couple of days - obviously disappointing myself a few days later). Obviously I miss out on some of those details that I have to mop out later. When the details are a matter of fact-books (facts that don't have a strong dependence on each other, i.e., one is not a significant pre-requisite of the other), my learning style is okay, since I just mop up all the later details with repeated re-readings.

But when it comes to university level texts (intensive on proofs, derivation), I get STUCK ON DETAILS for HOURS. even if people explain them to me, I don't really absorb what they say in a timeframe (and I'm under strong pressure to pretend that I understand since I'll disappoint ppl if I don't) and I often continue to get stuck. Until someday (sometimes years later - I've been trying to relearn a lot of hard math/science/programming topics since I was 15/16) I finally get it somehow. And then sometimes I realize how powerful the results are and then internalize them really well, which would be quite rewarding if it didn't take so many months or years to internalize some of those concepts).

I might be getting better on these sorts of things though. I'm more alert when I do problems, but somehow, it's hard for me to do problems unless I'm on a deadline to finish them (otherwise it's hard to make myself alert enough to do them - if I do problems on my own time, I often drag them out for hours and then it becomes less rewarding to do them than to look at the solutions manual - and I SO FREQUENTLY just glare at the words - they look like words and wow Im not absorbing any of it even though I'll feel guilty if I don't read it more since then I'm wasting time and falling more behind and wasting more of my potential. )
The Following User Says Thank You to Simfish For This Useful Post:
Orcas_are_neat (10-21-09)
Old 10-17-09, 12:42 AM
ADDvanced Member

Simfish is a jewel in the roughSimfish is a jewel in the roughSimfish is a jewel in the rough
Re: ugh i want to go to grad school

Sadly, I'm so good at alienating academic advisers. I HATE following the "normal plans" since my pacing is SO inconsistent. Sometimes I'm VERY efficient and sometimes I'm LESS efficient. Plus the interesting courses in the sciences are at the graduate level (this is where they're more quantized) and some advisers just tell everyone to follow the normal route. Since I often disregard their advice since they don't understand my situation, I've managed to alienate a few.

Plus, the standard advice given to college students doesn't apply to me at all. Okay, admittedly I self-medicated myself with modafinil, and I find that I'm actually at my best when I'm pulling all-nighters with modafinil (since I'm actually least distractible in the night). plus it's hard to explain skipping classes to most advisers too. So I often find myself having to reject advice and carve out my own path of studying. Honestly, I think research is the easiest way for me to learn (in fact, it's like assuming lemmas in order to prove theorems which helps me understand lemmas; or assuming a mathematical model to illustrate a scientific phenomenon - this helps me learn best about the mathematics). Picking up things as I go, yes. The only issue, of course, is that I need to be in graduate school to do such sorts of research for sustained periods of time.

Actually if you look at students in places like Caltech, a significant number of them do pretty much ignore all the standard academic advice.

It's incredibly difficult for me to explain my situation. I just really want my talents to be recognized.

I mgiht also like CS, but it's too late for me to major in CS.

==
my desire is just to LEARN science and to make the most out of my talents and to be a scientist. As I said before, I can be incredibly hard working (although I am distractible - albeit more by own thoughts and the Internet than by extraneous stimuli).
Old 10-17-09, 12:55 AM
ADDvanced Member

Okay this is copied from another post I just made: (can the mods please be somewhat lenient with multiple posts? sorry, this is just the way i think - it's hard for me to create a well-structured post at once, and then I always figure out that I miss details - and I really think it does come from my ADD. thanks so much, I really appreciate it!!)
"
Ugh okay, is it unusual if I'm inattentive most of the time EXCEPT for testing periods? It's often during tests (and all-nighters pulled when I'm procrastinating) when I feel like I'm normal for once. As such, extra time wouldn't really help me for tests. It's that weird form of pressure that works.

It's like this: I have major issues with listening to people, staying alert, and being efficient during non-testing times (this includes my time when I'm both in lecture and when I'm studying). I'm often so inattentive in lectures and then I miss so much information in lectures that they become a torture and I don't go. Even if I didn't have issues with inattention, I find reading to be far more efficient than lectures. I could ask for a notetaker/record lectures, but there's still the core issue: that I'm wasting a lot of time in coming to class - time that I could be using for something else more efficiently (plus, since I often take more time to do things than others, this just makes time more critical for me - especially since there are periods of time when I'm alert and periods of time when I'm not that alert - and they're not completely predictable). With a notetaker, I'd be expected to go to class - without one - I feel freer to skip class. My thinking is so nonlinear as well - and it's very much like a "hit and miss" function - I have really weird learning vs time curves that are probably a lot more jumpy than those of most people.

So there goes two of the most primary accommodations? Ugh, I love learning, but I probably need a really weird learning method to learn.

By the way, is it disrespectful to leave class in the middle of a classroom? I generally take math/science classes where attendance isn't really required. And what about reading during class? And squirming through my stuff? ugh."
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-09, 09:29 AM
Contributor

rd_wnc is a jewel in the roughrd_wnc is a jewel in the roughrd_wnc is a jewel in the rough

Have you been up front with this new professor about these issues?

College is like life there are some games you just have to play to succeed. Some "normal" ways of doing things you'll just have to swallow.

Success has much less to do with someone's potential and more to do with results. I have students with more intellectual potential than me who can't manage to turn in a simple assignment. I have other's who struggle through everything but have such a strong work ethic and determination that they succeed. The reasons for those who struggle will vary and often may be totally legitimate, but for graduate school and science it's those who finally deliver the results that will succeed.

To get the recommendations you'll need, you have to find a way to be successful (decent grades, completed research, dependable work ethic)that works for you but also plays within the "rules" as much as possible. The GPA won't be a deal breaker if you can gain some solid research experience (which means publishing or presenting results not just collecting data) and good recommendations from faculty.

Be up front with the professor you're working with now so that he/she knows that some of this is not just a bad attitude or laziness but that you truly have to approach things a little differently.
APSJ (10-21-09), Orcas_are_neat (10-21-09), Simfish (10-18-09)
Old 10-17-09, 04:44 PM
ADDvanced Member

Thanks SO much for your reply! I really appreciate it, I really do.

Well, for now I can't be upfront with my professor (even though I have the strong urge to be). I feel like I have to deliver results before being upfront with him. After all, if I'm upfront before I can deliver results, he may just consider me too unreliable and stop replying to my e-mails. I have a history of being unreliable (especially within his department), of saying things and then taking far longer to do them than I intended (and as hard as I may work to correct this behavior, it's extremely difficult to reconcile with all my other stressors - not that this is an excuse - but rather - people may lose their patience with me well before I'm ready). Not only that, but I'm scared since I may be misinterpreted as a liar when I say things that I ultimately don't do (just since I impulsively make plans especially on day to day conversation). I really am on the lookout for signs of subtle disclosure though (this is often how I disclose asperger's to people - I have to first watch for signs that they may be tolerant of asperger's first before I disclose it). With ADD, disclosure can be enough to end communication.

Results are of course, the most important thing. But it often takes a lot of time to deliver results, and results are also sometimes a result of luck (some research topics are more likely to yield results than others - and some research directions turn out to be dead ends - again, I can't use this as an excuse, but ADD+aspie+anxiety types are more prone to dead-ends [that take years] than others). So that demands the patience of others. If they discover my earlier difficulties, then I may try to explain to them that I've changed - I'm more mature than I used to be (especially wrt my judgment, since I'm better at judging what I can handle than I used to be). Since I entered university early (and so early immaturity is expected), this may be enough to convince them to have some patience with me. And also that I got on Concerta (although this is risky since it can be interpreted in the context of performance enhancement).

The other challenge, though, is getting recommendations from multiple professors. This may be hard for me since I can't invest a substantial amount of effort in more than 2 classes/projects at a time. Otherwise, it would damage my performance in the classes/projects that I'm really trying hard in.
rd_wnc (10-17-09)
Old 10-17-09, 09:42 PM
Contributor

rd_wnc is a jewel in the roughrd_wnc is a jewel in the roughrd_wnc is a jewel in the rough

I certainly admire your persistence and understand that it is tough to know whether or not to disclose things. It sounds like you're pretty aware of things that you need to watch for and work on. People are usually willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt if he/she really is trying to turn things around. However there are always some who won't. People get cynical about it I think because they don't relate with issues like ADD and Aspergers.

I'm not sure if there are services there you might make use of or therapy could be really helpful for learning ways to cope with challenges.

I hope it works out for you since you seem to be really working at this.
Simfish (10-18-09)
Old 10-21-09, 12:12 AM
Jr Member

Orcas_are_neat is on a distinguished road

This probably isn't helpful at all, but, I just wanted to say: Simfish, you are not alone. You've basically described my life with your story.

You're at least brave enough to approach professors. I haven't been able to manage that, and, now in my 3rd year of undergraduate education, with heady dreams of vet school, I've got to start admitting that I'm running out of time to make connections with professors. But, like you (it seems), the whole "making connections" thing is so darn difficult for me! It seems so... wrong to me somehow. I feel like my worth should be judged on my abilities, and my enthusiasm for my chosen area of study, not on how I can kiss butt.

Of course my whole theory falls apart when you look at my not-so-great GPA, due to my problems taking tests. Sometimes parts of the traditional education system seem so... so... annoying for someone with ADD, espcially for someone who's had so much success early on, and now it's like hitting a brick wall.

And, so, thanks for the advice, rd wnc. Following it is just hard.

Sorry, I know this post wasn't really helpful, but like you said, Simfish, it's really nice to talk about this to someone, even if it is a computer!
The Following User Says Thank You to Orcas_are_neat For This Useful Post:
Simfish (10-28-09)
Old 11-06-09, 07:37 PM
Jr Member

magiix will become famous soon enough

I second Orcas_are_neat... I am about to write my own post on a very similar problem though, with a little more emphasis on applying to grad school. It is hard for us ADDers to cope with our dreams of getting into graduate school-- especially with the emphasis placed on grades and test scores. I guess i'll leave it at that.

but one more thing: you asked
"Ugh okay, is it unusual if I'm inattentive most of the time EXCEPT for testing periods? It's often during tests (and all-nighters pulled when I'm procrastinating) when I feel like I'm normal for once. As such, extra time wouldn't really help me for tests. It's that weird form of pressure that works. "

it is actually very common (especially for people with ADD). It often happens, that during these times, (tests or pulling all-nighters due to procrastination), you are very stressed and anxious... your body's response to this is to release adrenaline (epinephrine), which clears your head and lets you focus. This was the ONLY way I could do homework or study up until I was diagnosed with ADD my junior year of highschool, and began taking medication. -- now i have a whole new set of problems with medication and studying lol
The Following User Says Thank You to magiix For This Useful Post:
Simfish (05-27-12)
Old 05-27-12, 12:25 AM
ADDvanced Member

[for the record, the original poster managed to score top applicant fellowships at both UChicago and at Brown, and almost got into Yale]
ana futura (05-27-12)
Old 05-28-12, 07:38 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ganjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant future

Simfish,
Before I offer any input, can I ask in what field you would apply for graduate study? And what is your major right now? These things make a big difference in how you might successfully apply to / be admitted to / complete a graduate program.
I finished my PhD in 2007, and I've gotten several of my students into graduate programs since then. But I don't want to offer input that might not be relevant to your field of study.

The mind is a monkey.
- another unknown zen master -

Old 05-28-12, 10:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ah, well, I was a UG Astrophysics major and I'm moving into a PhD in Geosciences at Brown next year.

Thanks very much.
Old 05-30-12, 05:47 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ganjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simfish View Post
Ah, well, I was a UG Astrophysics major and I'm moving into a PhD in Geosciences at Brown next year.

Thanks very much.
Oh. So this all got settled then. Congratulations on getting admitted to the PhD at Brown! You're going to be a busy person... But hopefully in a good way.

The mind is a monkey.
- another unknown zen master -

The Following User Says Thank You to Ganjin For This Useful Post:
Simfish (06-02-12)
Old 05-30-12, 06:38 PM

beradical is on a distinguished road

I want to go too. I just failed my second gmat. I wish I had the nards to schedule the next test.
150mg of Wellbutrin once a day.
300mg of Wellbutrin 2x's a day.
20mg of Celexa once a day.
Inattention sub class and Hyper active subclass and a shot of depression. What a combo.
Old 08-02-13, 11:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

sadly i got kicked out of all the grad schools I got into due to my social issues.. it's a very very bizarre chain of events just when i thought i could finally put my past behind..