ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-09, 02:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

excel is a name known to allexcel is a name known to allexcel is a name known to allexcel is a name known to allexcel is a name known to allexcel is a name known to all
The mind going crazy with uncontrollable thoughts

Does anyone else deal with thought running through their mind all the time? It is at the point where I get very little restful sleep at night.During the day it's not as bad as it is at night. I just can't keep these uncontrollable thoughts out of my mind. Could this be a sign of ADHD or anxiety or both. I have to do something about but I don't know what to do. It causes me to loose concentration and focus at times.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
arrested_truth (12-13-09), Cacho (07-27-10), Crazygirl79 (10-18-09), dy95 (10-27-09), hypergirl96 (03-14-11), Hyperman87 (04-18-12), meridian (12-17-09), mrs. dobbs (12-13-11), QueenTitania (03-24-11), redsneakers (07-25-10), shysmile (01-02-10), SweetPotato (06-03-12), whatsthebuzz (10-24-11)
Old 10-18-09, 03:58 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

dude102 has a spectacular aura aboutdude102 has a spectacular aura about
Re: The mind going crazy with uncontrollable thoughts

take some magnesium, and b complex vitamins. that'll calm you down.
The Following User Says Thank You to dude102 For This Useful Post:
Icecream (01-02-11)
Old 10-18-09, 04:30 PM

excel is a name known to allexcel is a name known to allexcel is a name known to allexcel is a name known to allexcel is a name known to allexcel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude102 View Post
I have been taking magnesium and calcium for my arthritis. I have been taking fish oil too
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-09, 04:45 PM
Contributor

ADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of light

It could be anxiety or ADHD. I couldn't stop thinking, worrying and analyzing everything esp. at night. Most of that was due to my having generalized anxiety disorder. Treatment for GAD helped a lot.
Old 10-18-09, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDMagnet View Post
It could be anxiety or ADHD. I couldn't stop thinking, worrying and analyzing everything esp. at night. Most of that was due to my having generalized anxiety disorder. Treatment for GAD helped a lot.
I take cymbalta and busspar of my GAd. I am thinking about going an ADHD medication. It scares me because of the side effects. I was diagnosed when I was a child.
The Following User Says Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (10-11-11)
Old 10-18-09, 05:06 PM

cynwldkat is on a distinguished road

Personally I'd be more concerned about the Cymbalta side effects. I took Effexor, the sister A/D to Cymbalta and the side effects for me were bad. I had very little side effects with the ADHD medication when I was on it. Actually the Effexor made my mind race even more then is usually does and yes, night time was the worst.
Old 10-18-09, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Personally I'd be more concerned about the Cymbalta side effects. I took Effexor, the sister A/D to Cymbalta and the side effects for me were bad. I had very little side effects with the ADHD medication when I was on it. Actually the Effexor made my mind race even more then is usually does and yes, night time was the worst.
thanks. I been taking cymalta for about a year. I just up the from 60 to 90 mg. I have had the racing thoughts for as long as I can remember
Old 10-18-09, 05:39 PM
Contributor

ADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of light

What side effects are you concerned about with ADHD meds? I take Vyvanse and the only side effects I have are dry mouth (so I just drink more water--no biggie) and appetite suppression until it wears off (which I consider a plus). And the benefits are great!
The Following User Says Thank You to ADDMagnet For This Useful Post:
ToadysFroggy (12-19-09)
Old 10-18-09, 05:51 PM
Moderator Lost in Thought

Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,146 Posts
tazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond repute

I've had this problem since I was a kid as well, as a kid I used to hit my head on the pillow to try and shut up my mind but as I grew older I found that what helps is focusing on something boring and repetitive that has nothing to do with anything that you are anxious about. I for example make up playing cards for a game I haven't played at for years, doing so keeps my attention but is not stimulating enough to keep me awake. (unlike endlessly thinking about how I can't fall asleep. )

Side effects of medication is subjective in nature, one person might take a tablet and feel like the nine hells have fallen on his head, and another will feel nothing but relief. The side effects of methylphenidate and amphetamine are relatively minor, there is no chance for long lasting health problems and the day after taking the pills you will feel like it never happened, because of that and the potentially life changing effects, it makes sense to risk a headache and take the tablets. (if, of course, you are perscribed them by a doctor.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tazoz For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (10-22-09), meadd823 (12-14-09)
Old 10-18-09, 06:07 PM

Thanked 1,990 Times in 1,109 Posts
Crazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond reputeCrazygirl79 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes..I can relate.

Selena
Old 10-18-09, 10:42 PM

Zacker will become famous soon enough

i have almost the same thing happen to me, but mine is music, even as i type this there is music in my head.. it NEVER goes away... ever,, I think its even there in my sleep.. it causes me to lose concentration and lose focus.. funny part is this. if I actually LISTEN to music, im fine.. if i have my MP3 player on, i can actually concentrate better..like my brain doesnt have to supply the power to make its own music..lol crazy but true.. the songs never stop!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zacker For This Useful Post:
birdchica (01-08-10), dy95 (10-27-09)
Old 10-19-09, 11:53 AM
Contributor

rd_wnc is a jewel in the roughrd_wnc is a jewel in the roughrd_wnc is a jewel in the rough

Have you asked your doctor about an antidepressant that does not have a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor? If I recall Cymbalta has this plus the SSRI.
I took Cymbalta very briefly and it caused near panic attacks.

I use the SSRI and a stimulant for ADD and it seems to be good most of the time. The stimulants can interfere with sleep though so you might want to work that one out first.
Old 10-19-09, 03:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

chsguy88 will become famous soon enough

I agree with you about the racing thoughts. I used to have them daily, but not since I started treatment for my depression, adhd, & anxiety(GAD) with some obsessive tendencies. Now my mind will only race at night if I went through a particularly upsetting or stressful event that day, which I find to be somewhat normal, but experiencing that nightly is clearly a problem.

I didn't respond well to the SNRI cymbalta either, my depression and anxiety symptoms never improved, but they never really got worse either. I took 60mg in the am, and 60mg in the pm... Anyways, I've been on lexapro before and now on celexa due to the fact its pretty similar and cheaper and couldn't be better. My anxiety and depression symptoms are almost non-existent, and it seems to be pretty much all day. With the cymbalta, I felt like my emotions were a rollercoaster, and there were several ups and downs. I don't experience that at all with an SSRI.

I also take 50mg of diphenhydramine a few hours before bed then take 10mg of ambien when I lay down to sleep. I do feel like the stimulant makes my mind race more at night, but the benadryl and ambien help ease me to sleep regardless. Its amazing waking up refreshed upon waking. I love ambien or lunesta, I'm surprised so few people on these boards are prescribed a sleep aid. They help me tons.
(75mg effexor XR) (50mg vyvanse) (10mg dexedrine 3x a day) (10mg ambien) (2mg ativan) (2mg terazosin)

Past Meds:
Adderall, Adderall XR, Focalin, Focalin XR, Ritalin, Strattera, Celexa, Cymbalta, Lexapro, Wellbuturin SR, Lunesta, Remeron, Rozerem, Trazodone, Chantix, Naltrexone, Klonopin, Neurontin, Vistaril
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chsguy88 For This Useful Post:
Book_Worm (03-14-11), Rosie 2487 (10-26-11), seamstress (12-13-09), Tye Tye (03-24-11)
Old 10-19-09, 03:30 PM
Jr Member

S_Summer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
Does anyone else deal with thought running through their mind all the time? It is at the point where I get very little restful sleep at night.During the day it's not as bad as it is at night. I just can't keep these uncontrollable thoughts out of my mind. Could this be a sign of ADHD or anxiety or both. I have to do something about but I don't know what to do. It causes me to loose concentration and focus at times.
You know, I have the same problems. My mind is always running, always going. I never have a moment when I'm not thinking something. It's really bad when I'm stressed out. I have been able to control it at night by listening to the radio, mainly talk radio so I can hear other people talk about things that'll distract my mind long enough for me to slip into sweet slumber.
Old 10-19-09, 04:14 PM

Thanked 11,911 Times in 6,212 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude102 View Post
seriously this may help. I take over the counter effervescent "juvamine" brand. - and be sure and have something to eat, BEFORE you leave the house. it really cuts down the jitters that lead to the racing thoughts (or is it the other way around...?)