ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 10-21-09, 05:26 PM

Twinz will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Can't get anything done- no motivation

Please help me. I am a mom to twin 6 year olds who are in school all day, I work part-time from home, and I can't get ANYTHING done. I do my "work work", but very little housework. I HATE laundry, my children mess up the house and I hate cleaning it up all of the time, my house is cluttery and I just don't feel like cleaning it up. SO, I work, or sit at my computer and that's it. I am taking Ritalin, and I talked to my psychiatrist, and she took me off of an antidepressant thinking it might help, but I dont notice a difference. I do exercise every morning. The mundane tasks are just killing me, and the computer is sucking me in. Does this sound like typical attention deficit? Can you all give me a book to read, or some advice? I feel like a failure and am tired of living in a mess....
Thank you for your time ;-)
Old 10-21-09, 08:15 PM
Jr Member

flexigoat will become famous soon enough
Re: Can't get anything done- no motivation

Hi, I don't know if I can be much help as I am no expert but I just wanted to say that my situation was all too similar to yours! Except I don't have twins

I work as a freelance document translator and I can get my work done, but use to have a lot of trouble just even keeping my clothes in a pile. I talked to my Dr. about this among other things and I recently started taking 60mg Adderall instead of the usual 20mg I use to take. Although I started having a lot more side effects, the mundane tasks became a lot easier to handle.

I'm not implying that what worked for me will work for you, but maybe you should consider talking to your Dr. about increasing/lowering you dose. I always thought that 20mg was my perfect dosage until I tried 60mg. Also be sure to get plenty of water, food and sleep; medication seems to be VERY ineffective to me unless my basic bodily needs are met. You could also try supplements like krill oil, vitamins, herbs, amino acids, etc. I know this probably sounds bad, but I experimented with a lot of different things and sticked to the ones that seemed to improve things. You might want to try out new things and see if anything improves, just be sure to do a bit of research before doing this and/or talk to your doctor about it. I hope any of my lousy advice helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to flexigoat For This Useful Post:
Twinz (10-21-09)
Old 10-22-09, 04:18 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Marspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond repute

flexigoat's advice is good. If you are worried about the cleaning, I find having someone come in and simply sit down makes me get up and pick up things. I won't do it on my own. Maybe someone you can trust and won't judge you too much or at least keep their opinion to themselves.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-09, 01:12 PM

mommyof1 is on a distinguished road

hey hun it will be alright
if it is really getting to you, you can always post a wanted ad in the local paper for someone and t come help clean the house, normal kids and teens jump at jobs like this to prove to there parent they are responceable. And it will help get rid of the extra work around the house.
I am a mil mom whos hubby works 24 hours a day and I am ADHD and I have a 2 1/2 year old son who is to so those task get to me to....now i have a local 10 year old who comes over to help clean the house and plays with my little boy if i have stuff around the house that only i can clean.
Old 10-27-09, 01:15 PM

mommyof1 is on a distinguished road

sorry i cant spell...i ment to type normally...not normal
Old 10-28-09, 09:31 AM

mamaof3girls is on a distinguished road

Hi, I am brand new here, but I practically could have written your post! (With the exception of the twins thing) I can work (I work 6 hrs a day from 3-9am) and can manage to spend a lot of time on the computer but can get very little else done. That is one of the main "symptoms" that I am hoping is ADHD. I have just started treatment (yesterday) with 10mg of Ritalin twice a day, and am hopeful that it will make a difference for me. Previous to exploring the ADHD issue, I had thought I was depressed, but realized I would just deciding that based on the fact that I couldn't seem to make myself get anything done, and everything seemed so overwhelming. Now I think that perhaps my inability to get things done was making me feel depressed, not the other way around.

I will keep you posted, but at least from where I stand, this seems like ADHD to me.
Karen
Old 10-28-09, 12:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,128 Times in 623 Posts
CircularingCats has a spectacular aura aboutCircularingCats has a spectacular aura about

Not getting anything done is enough to get someone depressed. Quite often, people who find out that they have AD(H)D indeed have been depressed. And depression can linger once diagnosed with ADD.

So, make I'd pay attention to both the possibility that you are depressed (on some level) and that you may have ADD.

And, remember, baby steps -- one thing at a time. That way you noticed all your accomplishments along the way.

Cats

Old 10-28-09, 04:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

melby1980 has a spectacular aura aboutmelby1980 has a spectacular aura about

I have the same problem. I find that when I get angry I go on a cleaning spree though (oddly enough) When I get up and start doing the dishes my boyfriend knows I am p@ssed. My meds were working (vyvanse in the AM and adderally in the afternoon) but I have been going through some depression and extra stress load, so my meds are pretty much useless.