ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 11-15-09, 03:45 PM

kate86 is on a distinguished road
What does Vyvanse feel like??? Need input!

BACKGROUND:
I'm a 23 year old female, and was diagnosed with ADD in college. I took 30mg of Adderall XR for 3.5 years, and, for the most part it was amazing. I have a problem developing tolerance to medications in general. As a teen, I had minor oral surgery and started screaming 5 mins into it because the meds wore off and I could feel everything the dentist was doing. I inevitably built up a tolerance to Adderall, and ended up drinking Red Bull and coffee so I could keep studying. I know that's bad and you're not supposed to do that while on stimulants, but I was desperate at exam time. The sad part is that I was making little Red Bull pyramids out of the cans while on Adderall with no side effects (other than the ones caused by the Adderall, which were not made worse by the caffeine). I didn't want to increase the dosage because the 30mg made my heart beat faster, and I was scared of what a higher dose would do.

I decided to give Vyvanse a try. Today is my second day on 70mg. So far, the only effect I've noticed is cotton mouth. I felt like eating breakfast made Adderall much less effective regardless of what I ate. I took Vyvanse with food both days (no Vitamin C), so I'll try skipping breakfast tomorrow to see if I get better results. Maybe I need a higher dose because I don't feel like Vyvanse is doing anything for me yet.

QUESTIONS:
1. What does it feel like when you take Vyvanse? I know it's different for everyone and hard to describe. I'd greatly appreciate any input you all can give! Most of the posts I've read are about side effects, and I'd like to hear about the good things too.

2. How long does it take to start working? And how do you know it has kicked in?

3. Does one big dose in the morning, or two smaller doses work better?

4. Does Vyvanse work better if you don't eat in the morning?
Old 11-15-09, 03:57 PM

Horse_Girl07 is on a distinguished road
Re: What does Vyvanse feel like??? Need input!

1. What does it feel like when you take Vyvanse? I know it's different for everyone and hard to describe. I'd greatly appreciate any input you all can give! Most of the posts I've read are about side effects, and I'd like to hear about the good things too.

It's more focus and more being able to do things. It's hard when I don't have it because it gives me a headache.

2. How long does it take to start working? And how do you know it has kicked in?

For me, it worked pretty much a day or two after I stared it. I worked up from 30 mg though.

One big dose works best, but since you can put it in water, I found that helps. You just take apart the capsules and put it into a bottle of water, then you drink the entire thing. That helps me at least.

I never eat in the morning, so this doesn't really apply to me, but it does give me a loss of appetite.
The Following User Says Thank You to Horse_Girl07 For This Useful Post:
kate86 (11-18-09)
Old 11-15-09, 04:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

Childe Roland has a spectacular aura aboutChilde Roland has a spectacular aura about

You mean, how does it feel compared to Adderall?

The drugs are very, very similar. I suppose Vyvanse provides more of a "quiet focus." Rather than the more "amped-up" feeling of Adderall.

How long does it work?

It seems to start working within an hour of when I take it.

One big dose or two smaller?

I'm not sure. Apparently doctors will prosribe it both ways. I find that one big dose can cause side effects early in the day. But two doses can wreck havoc with sleep. I'm begining to think the best option for me is one small dose in the AM and then just accepting 8 hours of decent focus instead of screwing around with boosters and whatnot in order to get "all day coverage." Coffee is my afternoon booster.

Does it work with food?

Food might marginally slow down the inital onset of the medication. But, Vyvanse isn't effected by food nearly as much as Adderall or Ritalin.
The Following User Says Thank You to Childe Roland For This Useful Post:
kate86 (11-18-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-09, 05:11 PM
Contributor

demo3210 is an unknown quantity at this point

1. What does it feel like when you take Vyvanse?
Vyvanse at initial onset briefly feels motivating. Basically, I feel like getting work done instead of just laying around the house or forcing myself to do only a botched job.

After another 30 minutes that goes away and I am left with better ability to focus. Motviation seems to diminish rapidly throughout the day to my regular self. The focus typically remains better, but diminishes less quickly throughout the day. I don't feel urged to go from one project to the next and I feel like completing the tasks before me.

After a couple months, I've realized taking Vyvanse isn't as effective as it used to be and I find myself having to push myself more and more to get the same amount of things done. I've now recently started, like yourself, drinking caffeine to compensate. I'm not sure whether this is the appropriate outcome for the meds or if upping the dosage is a reasonable consideration - something I will be discussing with my dr.

I feel like smoking cigarettes a lot when I take Vyvanse.

Vyvanse starts working for me anywhere between 40 minutes to 2 hours after I take it depending on how much I ate when I took it.

I know it's working because it's similar to kind of like drinking your first cup of coffee for the day, except not so stimulating and more relaxed. I can feel the effects briefly, as mentioned above, when it initially starts kicking in. If I ate something substantial I barely, if at all, notice it kicking in.

I've never done two smaller doses. One dose in the morning is fine with me. I stick with coffee and green-tea in the afternoons now. For 12 hour days though, 2 doses I would imagine would be better, at least to me.

From reading the posts on these forums, Vyvanse is essentially a glorified instant release. The amino acid only slows down release enough to be negligible. I do not have scientific evidence for that though other than through the internet.

If I don't eat anything in the morning Vyvanse's effects are more noticeable in the morning, but they seem to diminish far more rapidly. In that instance, the end of the day basically drops off the cliff and I'm screwed.
Hyperman87 (04-21-14), kate86 (11-18-09), The Absent Mind (11-16-09)
Old 11-15-09, 07:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,332 Times in 2,019 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

1. What does it feel like when you take Vyvanse?
For me, it didn't "feel" like anything. I've read that while Adderall often provides a 'feeling' when taken (elevated mood, etc), Vyvanse rarely elicits a perceived sense that the medication is working, and its effectiveness can't be determined by how you feel when taking it, but rather your ability to focus on work/school/etc. Ideally, if Vyvanse does work for a person, there should be no big "lift" and no subsequent "crash" later in the day.

Again, it never really "kicked in" for me, but I did feel less foggy and distracted about 45-90 minutes after taking it. For me, the biggest indication that it was "working" was that I had a strong urge to smoke a cigarette.

I've heard about some people who take smaller doses, but I don't know that either method works better. It depends on the individual, but my experience with taking any dose later than immediately upon waking was that I had serious issues falling asleep well beyond the therapeutic effects of the medication. I was restless and unable to focus or sleep, which was not a fun place to be.

Definitely not (in my situation, at least). I was advised to eat at least a light breakfast -including protien- before taking the medication. I don't know that there is any danger to taking it on an empty stomach, but it didn't increase the effectiveness at all. I also found that I needed to eat before taking it, because the Vyvanse decreased my appetite for the rest of the day, meaning breakfast was the only meal I got.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trishcan For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (04-21-14), kate86 (11-18-09)
Old 11-15-09, 10:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

Greenjuice is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I think everyone has the same reaction. I take 30mg and have a brief focused feeling of getting things done around 30-45min then its just smooth focusing on tasks after that. It def doesn't give me the euphoric high that adderall xr did, but maybe thats a good thing I switched. Just a feeling of calm and certainty of completing a task.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greenjuice For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-09, 10:30 PM
Contributor

demo3210 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenjuice View Post
Yeah I think everyone has the same reaction. I take 30mg and have a brief focused feeling of getting things done around 30-45min then its just smooth focusing on tasks after that. It def doesn't give me the euphoric high that adderall xr did, but maybe thats a good thing I switched. Just a feeling of calm and certainty of completing a task.
What's interesting though is that Vyvanse has a higher peak plasma level of amp than Adderall XR because it's all practically released at once. I wish I could find the study that revealed that. But I agree with you, Greenjuice.
Old 11-18-09, 02:20 AM

Diane 1986 will become famous soon enough

I was only diagnosed a few months ago, and Vyvanse is the only ADHD medication I've ever been on. Based on my experiences with it thus far, Vyvanse is definitely a keeper!

I don't have a point of comparison for this, but taking Vyvanse is just nice. I got a bit of a rush the first couple of days, but since then I've generally just felt clear-headed. Vyvanse doesn't give me a big kick of sudden activity; it empowers me to choose to do my work (or to procrastinate!). The only side effect that's been problematic for me is appetite suppression, but that's manageable as long as I pay attention to my eating habits.

For me, it takes a long time for Vyvanse to start working- somewhere around 2-3 hours. And despite the fact that it's a stimulant, I've been known to take my morning dose at 6:30 and sleep as late as noon! I also find that the more tired I am, the longer it takes to kick in.

My main signal that the Vyvanse has kicked in is a feeling of calm. Without it I'm very anxious and on constant overload because there's just too much to deal with in my head, and in the outside world. I also start to enjoy my work and it's so easy to concentrate. Overall, I can tell the Vyvanse is working because I feel together, capable, sociable, and generally good. It's not anything drastic, definitely no euphoria or unreasonable happiness, but it's really nice.

I'm taking 40 in the morning, then another 40 around noon, then another 20 no later than 5 pm, and only if I need it. I'm thinking about breaking the noon dose into two 20s that are spaced out somewhat. This keeps great coverage for me. I'm calm and "with it" all day. I sometimes have trouble falling asleep though. I haven't figured out why that is because on many days I have no trouble with that whatsoever.

I'm still trying to figure this out, but I think it might work better if you take it with some protein. This morning I had a big handful of almonds when I woke up and it really seemed to improve the duration of my initial dose. And it's really important to make sure you eat enough. I often dforget to eat, and that makes a big difference in how effective the Vyvanse is for concentration.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diane 1986 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-09, 12:41 PM

kate86 is on a distinguished road

Thank you all SO much for answering my questions!!! You have no idea how much it has helped. I still think I need to increase my dosage, but I have noticed that I feel more calm and collected. Based on all the feedback, I'm thinking that if I can get the dosage right then Vyvanse may be a keeper.

Oh, one last question... has anyone had issues with exercising while taking Vyvanse? I used to work out before taking Adderall or on an off day when I didn't take it because I was worried about increasing my already sped up heart rate. I took Vyvanse as soon as I woke up yesterday and then went for a 30 minute run. I felt like the tiny improvements I've been getting were lessened that day. Almost like running used up the Vyvanse. Has anyone else had this issue? I should probably take Vyvanse after my run, but I am so not a morning person and don't want to wake up a second earlier than I have to.
The Following User Says Thank You to kate86 For This Useful Post:
Hyperman87 (04-21-14)