ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 11-15-09, 08:33 PM

WanderingNobody is on a distinguished road
What's the danger in storing Adderall XR in cold temperature?

I accidentally left my Adderall XR in the glove compartment in my car for 3 days (the weekend). Since I don't take it during the weekend, I didn't notice until tonight. The car's interior is pretty cool and I know we're supposed to store the Adderall in room temperature. Should I continue to take the medicine and if so, what can happen? Does it lose its effectiveness? Or is this somehow dangerous?
Old 11-15-09, 09:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,332 Times in 2,019 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What's the danger in storing Adderall XR in cold temperature?

Most medications indicate you should store them at room temperature, but I'm not sure about the rationale. I doubt that a few days in a cold car would make the meds dangerous, and probably wouldn't reduce their effectiveness, but I can only guess.

I imagine if you call your pharmacy and ask, they should be able to tell you if the meds could be compromised by exposure to cold temperatures.
Old 11-15-09, 10:27 PM

SilentCat will become famous soon enough
Re: What's the danger in storing Adderall XR in cold temperature?

Shire's Adderall XR prescribing information states that it should be stored at 77 degrees (Fahrenheit), with "excursions permitted to 59-86 degrees [see USP controlled Room Temperature]"

To begin with...No-one I know even keeps their home thermostat at anywhere near 77 degrees.

Three days in a cool car? The meds are completely fine. That manufacturer information can be taken with a very large grain of salt.

The danger, whether for chemical breakdown or just degradation in potency, etc. is much, much more an issue with extended exposure to heat. Cool temperatures usually shouldn't be a problem at all.

If we were discussing a liquid suspension, or especially an injectable, it might be a different question entirely. (Liquids can separate, and sometimes quickly, as a consequence of exposure to either heat or cold.)

But what we're discussing is a chemical solid.
We're talking about only a few days -- not months. And unless you're in Alaska, recently it hasn't even been that cold.

So you needn't worry, in the least. Your Adderall XR should be just fine -- perfectly intact
Clarke corrected him: "Chief Geek... Geeks get it done. Nerds don't."

"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called Research."
A. Einstein
Sponsored Links