ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-09, 08:10 AM

sixxdixx is on a distinguished road
ADD / ADHD Repeat offender

does ADD / ADHD cause you to be a repeat offender? I often times forget I have made previous mistakes and continue to make the same mistake never learning from past expiriences.
For instance: I am asked to remember to do something everymorning yet I forget everytime. Occasionally I will remember to do a task which makes others think I only remember to do things when I want to remember.
Any similar stories out there?
Old 11-20-09, 01:33 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

dude102 has a spectacular aura aboutdude102 has a spectacular aura about
Re: ADD / ADHD Repeat offender

ALWAYS! Sticky notes are your best friend... even when it's obvious
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dude102 For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (11-20-09), sixxdixx (11-20-09)
Old 11-20-09, 01:43 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,112 Times in 541 Posts
wsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud of

Yes

I used to wonder why I couldn't stop repeating the same errors.
It's not just things like forgetting the same thing every time.. I bang my elbow on the same spot on my arm, on doorways, over-and-over.
I do have periods of time when I seem to miss the doorframe, but the pain associated with the collisions does not seem to teach me to walk through the middle of the doorway instead of veering to the same side.

At work... we have several doors I use which have those electronic keypad locksets. One of them uses 2800, a couple of others use 3100 (which is the most used combo for me at work).
I keep walking up to the 2800 door... press 3.. then 1.. then I get the flash message in my brain that says, "STUPID! You're putting in the WRONG combo AGAIN!"

Last night I did that at least a half-dozen times!

How many times have I left the electronic keyfob for my Prius in my shorts I put in the laundry basket? Too many to remember. At least I can't start the car without it, which means I don't leave it in the laundry till it gets washed!

=========
I know have a new diagnosis: Attention Difference Display / Happy Dance (ADD/HD)... I think it fits!
=========

Sometimes I worry that if I don't slow down... I'll run my batteries down and won't be able to recharge myself... powered down permanently at such a young age!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wsmac For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (11-20-09), Redneckgirl (11-24-09), sixxdixx (11-20-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-09, 01:44 PM

If I used sticky notes I would completely be responsible for funding 3ms senior management.
Plus my wall would look like someone smacked big bird up against it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixxdixx For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (11-20-09), ginniebean (11-20-09), wsmac (11-20-09)
Old 11-20-09, 01:48 PM

WSMAC that is funny stuff, I do the same thing with phone numbers and security systems at work. Thats why I love one button calling however the people outside of my favorite nine, get odd voicemail messages from me calling them by another name.
Old 11-20-09, 03:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,339 Times in 1,288 Posts
mADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond reputemADD mike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixxdixx View Post

Plus my wall would look like someone smacked big bird up against it.

Hilarious!

My wife is the forgetful one. She's more inattentive. I remember everything and am more hyperactive.

There are pros and cons to everything. She can watch a tv show or see something again as if for the first time. I see it once and I can be bored with it. I remember everything, but some things I'd like to forget in life. I may not forget this or that, but the list in my head of every single detail of what needs to be done gets overwhelming.

All or nothing thinking, a cognitive distortion we ADDers have and live all the time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mADD mike For This Useful Post:
Redneckgirl (11-24-09), sixxdixx (11-22-09)
Old 11-20-09, 06:07 PM

Thanked 13,630 Times in 5,039 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

Sixx, I see that you and I live in the same geographical space. That is important only insofar as funding 3Ms management team MIGHT have a positive impact on local economy.

Part of what ADHD fundamentally IS causes those annoying memory lapses. Post-Its are your friend as is any other form of note taking or memory boost device. I still love my paper Franklin for notes and such. I trained myself to use it years ago and still love it.

It comes down to finding the systems that work best for you. Case in point- I was learning the spinal column (Ages ago in nursing school) and the way I finally remembered it was to take different colored beads and string them to represent the spine. Then I handed the task off to rote- move the beads on the string as I recited the area of the spine and what that area affected. If I could see that string of beads, I was good to go. No memory problem at all. It ended up on my key ring for a long time.

I have a shoe bag that hangs over the door. It is a large piece of canvas with 12 pockets sewn onto it. I toss things into the pocket that corresponds to the month I will need the thing. I also have a whiteboard and cork board near the door. The whiteboard has daily reminders, the cork board has things I will need. That also works for me.

Those are just a couple of things that you may find helpful. Finding the right things for you is a process and there is just no one easy way.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (11-20-09), sixxdixx (11-22-09), wsmac (11-20-09)
Old 11-20-09, 06:57 PM

Thanked 20,034 Times in 7,221 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
does ADD / ADHD cause you to be a repeat offender? I often times forget I have made previous mistakes and continue to make the same mistake never learning from past expiriences.
For instance: I am asked to remember to do something everymorning yet I forget everytime. Occasionally I will remember to do a task which makes others think I only remember to do things when I want to remember.

Naturally I do this too, but this is not what I see as making the same mistake over and over. For me this is the random memory loss that comes with being born ADHD.

For me, the making the same mistake is really making 'similar' mistakes and not generalizing from one situation to the other. I do learn not to do the identical mistake ever again, but one 'similar' nope, I'll walk right into it.
ADHDTigger (11-20-09), sixxdixx (11-22-09)
Old 11-20-09, 09:56 PM
Contributor

la girl is a jewel in the roughla girl is a jewel in the roughla girl is a jewel in the rough

Please.....first off, this is the second time I am writing this as I hit the wrong button, and it's not the first time I've erased everything. Second, I have three different sets of keys all with different colored chains so that I can count them and know that I can be on my way.....but of course I still loose them at least once a day....panic sets in...complete freak out at work as I can focus on nothing else...and then complete calm as I look over near my purse and say "oh there they are". Third, I will admit that I hit my elbow or head or foot at least three to four times a week getting out of the shower.....and finally I will put dinner in the oven to finish off in an oven proof pan....knowing that I need a towel of some sort to take it out of the oven so that I don't burn my hand again......but I know you can guess what's coming.....of course I grab the pan....drop it and wait for the blisters to arrive on cue. I wish I could say that I've only done this a couple of times, but I still don't seem to have learned.....so I guess what I am trying to say is none of us are perfect....some of us are more clumsy (speaking for myself )....and imperfection is just the way things are....however....I did get recently diagnosed and started meds two weeks ago....so I am hoping my hands will thank me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to la girl For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (11-20-09), sixxdixx (11-22-09)
Old 11-20-09, 10:05 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,112 Times in 541 Posts
wsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by la girl View Post
Please.....first off, this is the second time I am writing this as I hit the wrong button, and it's not the first time I've erased everything.

Second, I have three different sets of keys all with different colored chains so that I can count them and know that I can be on my way.....but of course I still loose them at least once a day....panic sets in...complete freak out at work as I can focus on nothing else...and then complete calm as I look over near my purse and say "oh there they are".

Third, I will admit that I hit my elbow or head or foot at least three to four times a week getting out of the shower.....

and finally I will put dinner in the oven to finish off in an oven proof pan....knowing that I need a towel of some sort to take it out of the oven so that I don't burn my hand again......but I know you can guess what's coming.....of course I grab the pan....drop it and wait for the blisters to arrive on cue.

I wish I could say that I've only done this a couple of times, but I still don't seem to have learned.....so I guess what I am trying to say is none of us are perfect....some of us are more clumsy (speaking for myself )....and imperfection is just the way things are....however....

I did get recently diagnosed and started meds two weeks ago....so I am hoping my hands will thank me.

You reminded me of when I used to shoe horses up in Alaska.
It was winter and I was hot-shoeing a client's horse.
I had two shoes to shape and had my gas forge going.
The outside temp was probably between -10 to -20 (I really didn't like trying to shoe in colder temps.. at least on horses that weren't kept in very warm barns).

I had one shoe in the forge and pulled it out to hammer on, finished and set it aside while I put the second shoe into the forge.
I then proceeded to reach for the first shoe without checking the temp and burned my fingers (I can't remember if I had my glove off - possible - or just my thin cotton gloves but it left blisters anyway).

After feeling like a total d@psh@t, I pulled the second shoe out and hammered that one. Put it aside, checked the first shoe.. more carefully this time... then went and grabbed the second shoe and burned my fingers a second time!

Luckily I don't hurt myself that much... in such quick succession as that experience.

=========
I know have a new diagnosis: Attention Difference Display / Happy Dance (ADD/HD)... I think it fits!
=========

Sometimes I worry that if I don't slow down... I'll run my batteries down and won't be able to recharge myself... powered down permanently at such a young age!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wsmac For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (11-20-09), sixxdixx (11-22-09), tinywiney (11-21-09)
Old 11-21-09, 02:20 AM
Jr Member

amhealy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I often make the same mistakes, even though I can engage in whatever activity in which I produced the mistake without making any mistake whatsoever.

My recommendation is to create a routine in which you always do the same thing. I find that when I vary from routine, I am more prone to making mistakes.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to amhealy For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (11-21-09), ginniebean (11-24-09), sixxdixx (11-22-09), tinywiney (11-21-09), wsmac (11-21-09)
Old 11-21-09, 05:13 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 14,577 Times in 5,766 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My recommendation is to create a routine in which you always do the same thing. I find that when I vary from routine, I am more prone to making mistakes.
This is the method I use myself. especially during transition preparation times such as getting ready to leave home for work or leaving work for home. Using routine helps me not forget necessary items I will need as well as not forget very necessary task such as feeding the cats - who by the way won;t let me out the door with my purse unless there is food in their bowls - They have lived with ADDers for to long to let that happen

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (11-21-09), sixxdixx (11-22-09)
Old 11-21-09, 07:57 PM

Thanked 10,591 Times in 5,580 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

for over a year my photocopy code, has been 2173. the job number I use, is 2100. It is not the other way around! For the past 7 years, I generally leave my originals on the photocopier.
I'm not helping 3M too much but I'm keeping whoever makes those yellow legal pads in business...
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
sixxdixx (11-22-09)
Old 11-24-09, 10:45 PM
Jr Member

Redneckgirl will become famous soon enough

Im the exact same way. what adhd meds are you on, do they not help with the forgetfulness?
Old 11-25-09, 07:46 AM
Jr Member

VaporAction will become famous soon enough

For 5 or so years it has been my task to feed the dogs. I'm lucky, to this day, if I remember to do it 10% of the time.

My wife would remind me and I would stop and head towards the kitchen to feed the dogs. By the time, 20 feet later, I get to the kitchen I had forgotten what I was doing and would just get a cup of coffee.