ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 11-21-09, 10:53 AM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice
List of alkalizing, acidifying food / drinks and their effect on how amphetamine work

By Dr. March Schwartz
Can food affect how well amphetamines work?
There are two ways what you eat or drink can affect drug metabolism: one is by affecting how much drug is absorbed from the gut, and the other is by affecting how quickly you excrete the drug via your kidneys. In the case of the amphetamines, more acid food decreased the absorption of the medication and more acid urine increases it excretion. Exactly the reverse happens when people have foods such as antacids like Tums that make their urine alkaline.

It might be assumed that any acid food, like orange juice, would reduce amphetamine levels by both of these mechanisms. But that turns out not to be true. For example, orange juice is a highly acidic food due to its high citric acid content, but after being metabolized it causes the (body and) urine to become more alkaline. So the effects of orange juice on amphetamine blood levels are mixed, and I don't know what effect predominates.
Cranberry juice is a drink that acidifies the urine. It is possible that people who have trouble sleeping after taking amphetamines may be able to more quickly excrete it before bedtime by drinking a couple of glasses of cranberry juice or a Vitamin C pill at dinner time. I have one patient who tried Vitamin C, and it worked.

Fatty food interferes with the absorption of the amphetamines so less of each dose taken around meal time gets into the blood stream.
List of food that make the urine more alkaline or acid (note that some alkalizing foods are very acid - after the body metabolizes them, they make the body and urine more alkaline. This seems counter-intuitive but seems to be generally agreed upon by nutritionists.)

Alkalinizing Foods (Some of these are quite acid before the body metabolizes them)

Acidifying Foods

Vegetables Asparagus
Artichokes
Cabbage
Lettuce
Onion
Cauliflower
Radish
Swede
Lambs Lettuce
Peas
Courgette
Red Cabbage
Leeks
Watercress
Spinach
Turnip
Chives
Carrot
Green Beans
Beetroot
Garlic
Celery
Grasses (wheat, straw, barley, dog, kamut etc.)
Cucumber
Broccoli
Kale
Brussels Sprouts

Fruits Lemon
Lime
Avocado
Tomato
Grapefruit
Watermelon (is neutral)
Rhubarb

Meats Pork
Lamb
Beef
Chicken
Turkey
Crustaceans
Other Seafood (apart from occasional oily fish such as salmon)

Dairy Products Milk
Eggs
Cheese
Cream
Yogurt
Ice Cream

Drinks 'Green Drinks'
Fresh vegetable juice
Pure water (distilled, reverse osmosis, ionized)
Lemon water (pure water + fresh lemon or lime).
Herbal Tea
Vegetable broth
Non-sweetened Soy Milk
Almond Milk

Others Vinegar
White Pasta
White Bread
Whole meal Bread
Biscuits
Soy Sauce
Tamari
Condiments (Tomato Sauce, Mayonnaise etc.)
Artificial Sweeteners
Honey

Drinks Fizzy Drinks
Coffee
Tea
Beers
Spirits
Fruit Juice
Dairy Smoothies
Milk
Traditional Tea

Seeds, Nuts & Grains Almonds
Pumpkin
Sunflower
Sesame
Flax
Buckwheat Groats
Spelt
Lentils
Cumin Seeds
Any sprouted seed

Convenience Foods Sweets
Chocolate
Microwave Meals
Tinned Foods
Powdered Soups
Instant Meals
Fast Food

Fats & OilsSaturated Fats
Hydrogenated Oils
Margarine (worse than Butter)
Corn Oil
Vegetable Oil
Sunflower Oil

Fats & Oils Flax
Hemp
Avocado
Olive
Evening Primrose
Borage
Oil Blends (such as Udos Choice)

Others Sprouts (soy, alfalfa, mung bean, wheat, little radish , chickpea, broccoli etc)
Bragg Liquid Aminos (Soy Sauce Alternative)
Hummus
Tannin

Fruits All fruits aside from those listed in the alkaline column.

Seeds & NutsPeanuts
Cashew Nuts
Pistachio Nuts

http://healthcalls.com/QuestionsAnsw...hetamines_work_
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Josh_kelly For This Useful Post:
dag nab it (01-06-14), Kiddder (11-21-09), Lessthan3 (08-05-12), oneup (03-13-10), sinned17 (08-06-12), Twiggy (08-11-12)
Old 11-21-09, 01:14 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CptNemo is just really niceCptNemo is just really niceCptNemo is just really niceCptNemo is just really nice
Re: List of alkalizing, acidifying food / drinks and their effect on how amphetamine

I've never heard of that.It is interesting,but it seems to contradict the specific instructions,and information,provided by Shire.
They are the original producer of:
ADDERALL XR®
(mixed salts of a single-entity amphetamine)
www.AdderallXR.com

Here is a link to a really long pdf file regarding this drug:

http://www.adderallxr.com/pdf/AXR_FPI.pdf

I have included an excerpt from that pdf file,and highlighted what I thought contradicted the info in the post above.
I have also read many experiences from forum members that seem to reflect Shire's comments.

Am I misinterpreting something?
Thanks

(From pdf file mentioned)
Drug Interactions: Acidifying agents—Gastrointestinal acidifying agents
(guanethidine, reserpine, glutamic acid HCI, ascorbic acid, etc.) lower
absorption of amphetamines.

Urinary acidifying agents—These agents (ammonium chloride, sodium acid
phosphate, etc.) increase the concentration of the ionized species of the
amphetamine molecule, thereby increasing urinary excretion. Both groups of
agents lower blood levels and efficacy of amphetamines.
Adrenergic blockers—Adrenergic blockers are inhibited by amphetamines.
Alkalinizing agents—Gastrointestinal alkalinizing agents (sodium bicarbonate,
etc.) increase absorption of amphetamines. Co-administration of ADDERALL
XR® and gastrointestinal alkalinizing agents, such as antacids, should be
avoided.
Urinary alkalinizing agents (acetazolamide, some thiazides) increase
the concentration of the non-ionized species of the amphetamine molecule,
thereby decreasing urinary excretion. Both groups of agents increase blood
levels and therefore potentiate the actions of amphetamines.
Proton Pump Inhibitors – act on proton pumps by blocking acid production
thereby reducing gastric acidity. In the presence of a proton pump inhibitor,
the median Tmax of ADDERALL XR was shortened from 5 hours to 2.75
hours. Therefore, co-administration of ADDERALL XR and proton pump
inhibitors should be avoided.
Antidepressants, tricyclic—Amphetamines may enhance the activity of
tricyclic antidepressants or sympathomimetic agents; d-amphetamine with
desipramine or protriptyline and possibly other tricyclics cause striking and
sustained increases in the concentration of d-amphetamine in the brain;
cardiovascular effects can be potentiated.

Edit: healthcalls.com has this disclaimer:" Do not use the information on this site to diagnose or treat yourself or others."

Shire does not have a disclaimer. They have millions(billions?) of dollarsriding on their info,right?

Not trying to be a pain in the *****,but I feel this is important.
Old 11-21-09, 02:40 PM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice
Re: List of alkalizing, acidifying food / drinks and their effect on how amphetamine

Well These are studies by MDs, nutritionist and actual lab studies.

Anyways, that does not mean that it is true but I am inclined to believe that Orange juice causes the urine to be alkaline. The body metabolizes orange juice in a way that produces alkaline urine.

Orange juice is acidic, it will lead to acidic solution if you add it to distilled water. But the body is not only water, there are many chemicals that interact.

same thing with Acid rain. Over the years so much acid rain entered into the ocean but fortunantly ocean water has a huge buffering capacity (carbonate) to resist the change in pH (becoming more acidic). That's why deep oceans have a pH of 8 or so (alkaline) but there is a limit of course on how much nature can take from us.

STUDIES OF URINARY ACIDITY.
I. SOME EFFECTS OF DRINKING LARGE AMOUNTS OF ORANGE
JUICE AND SOUR MILK.

BY
N. R. BLATHERWICK AND M. LOUISA LONG.
(From the Chemical Laboratory of the Potter Metabolic Clinic

"The effects on the urine of drinking large amounts of
orange juice are the following: a marked increase in the pH value
(less acidity)"
http://www.jbc.org/content/53/1/103.full.pdf

from study
Influence of various beverages on urine acid output
"Orange juice (pH 3.64) and tube feeding (pH 6.78) both led to alkaline urine pH and significantly decreased urine acid output compared to the control group"

"orange juice is a highly acidic food due to its high citrus acid content, but after being metabolized it will cause urine to become alkaline"

"Other contradictions with the acid/alkaline theory:

Acid in doesn't necessarily mean acid out. Metabolism of foods is a highly complicated process, one that we really don't know everything about yet. Orange juice, when metabolized is alkaline while cranberry juice metabolizes to an acid form. Of course both can be trigger foods for IC.

The big thing to remember is that body pH and urine pH are two entirely different things."

http://www.pure-hope.org/BodypHvsUrinepH.htm
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-09, 03:29 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CptNemo is just really niceCptNemo is just really niceCptNemo is just really niceCptNemo is just really nice

Ah hah...I see my mistake.
When I read your response post,I agreed with everything you said.(And I remember you mentioning in a post awhile back,that this area is one of your interests).

When I say that "I agreed",I mean only to say that your reply post agrees with my interpretation of what Shire says,I have no personal knowledge here.

So I went back to your initial post:

"It might be assumed that any acid food, like orange juice, would reduce amphetamine levels by both of these mechanisms. But that turns out not to be true. For example, orange juice is a highly acidic food due to its high citric acid content, but after being metabolized it causes the (body and) urine to become more alkaline. So the effects of orange juice on amphetamine blood levels are mixed, and I don't know what effect predominates."

I misread the first part of the above reference,and I admit my mistake.

That said,I strongly suggest that the above paragraph
just plain sucks,as far as being clear and easily understood. (I have an excuse,and I know you didn't write it)

Unless it is not read with more scrutiny than I feel is needed,it seems to suggest that the pH doesn't affect the stimulant upon initial digestion.
This disagrees with Shire.

The last part of it says:

"So the effects of orange juice on amphetamine blood levels are mixed, and I don't know what effect predominates.""

Well,I think it is clear that Shire believes their scientists *do* know the answer to this.

Bottom line,imho: acid, as well as base (ie orange juice vs Tums) will affect its potency upon initial ingestion.

Once the drug is metabolized, ie an hour or two before bedtime,drinking an acid(OJ) will metabolize itself into a base,to help reduce any lingering metabolized stimulant. So it can be helpful to induce sleep then.

Is that about right?
Old 11-21-09, 04:38 PM

I understand your point of view CPtNemo, the paragraph is kinda of confusing and maybe I should have re-wrote it to be more clear but I wanted to quote the source so nothing is lost in "translation".

But the other studies I mentioned also that orange juice does not acidify the urine and maybe even makes it more alkaline.

If your urine is alkaline, more amphetamine will be absorbed by your body and into your blood stream (activated) . Acidic solution have an access of H+ ions (protons) which causes hurt burn, that's why you use nexuim) "proton" pump inhibitor to treat it.

anyways, As you see from the amphetamine molecule has hydrogen which has a positive charge also. The leads to repulsion because they are of the same charge + +

So the amphetamine molecule passes thru without being metabolized (have you heard of these drug flushing drinks so it wont be detected in urine?)

But when you have alkaline urine, you have more negative charges so the amphetamine molecule gets attracted to the negative and stays does not pass with the urine (absorbed)

Thats how I see it that explains why alkaline increases the effects of amphetamine. I can be wrong.

I tried orange juice (It had not effect on me)
next day had cranberry juice, felt tired 30 minutes later.

To be on the safe side, at least all sides agree that cranberry juice acidifies the urine, gets rid of left over amphetamine so you will be able to sleep better and also not to develop tolerance. Been on the same dose for a while now.

my goal is to inform, but if i am wrong i will benefit also from knowing whats right.
The Following User Says Thank You to Josh_kelly For This Useful Post:
sinned17 (08-06-12)
Old 11-21-09, 04:50 PM

Brookeslost will become famous soon enough

ALL....... and I mean ALL OF this is WAY too confusing for me....Should I only drink water and eat egg whites lol??? Im SOOOO confused Im so sorry! When I read all of this I hear blah blah blah in my head.....again so sorry!
Old 11-21-09, 04:56 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

I quasi-understand,and agree with your reasoning.

My only goal was for others to not be confused like me.

It comes down to this for me:

Shire doesn't want a patient to introduce anything near the ends of the pH scale,when they swallow the pill.

I'm sticking with the people that have the most to lose,if wrong.
Old 11-21-09, 05:07 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookeslost View Post
ALL....... and I mean ALL OF this is WAY too confusing for me....Should I only drink water and eat egg whites lol??? Im SOOOO confused Im so sorry! When I read all of this I hear blah blah blah in my head.....again so sorry!
I know what you mean.Me too.
I can't even tell if we're disagreeing.

Its frustrating to read a bunch of stuff,that I can't just skip to the end for the answer.

How about,don't drink juice,or eat anything that causes you heartburn,within 1 hour of taking meds.
This will prevent them from not taking full effect.

If you think your meds are keeping you from falling asleep at night,drink cranberry juice . Or OJ an hour before bedtime.
It will lessen the effects.
Old 11-21-09, 05:17 PM

Sorry for being confusing, I guess that part of me being ADHD

If you want to get rid or flush adderall from your system, say Near bed time or if you think that the dose you already took is too high and feeling anxious,.... Drink cranberry juice (or any acidifying agent mentioned in the table above).

If you think that "you are not feeling adderall" or you think your dose "does not kick in early enough" take alkalizing agents also mentioned in the table above. That will make the effects of adderall more strong (more potent).
The Following User Says Thank You to Josh_kelly For This Useful Post:
eh+dub (09-28-12)
Old 11-21-09, 05:28 PM

Brookeslost will become famous soon enough

THANK YOU! To both of you. I couldnt really tell if yall were agreeing or not either hahaa! When its a super long post sometimes I just skim it, reading is not my thing but on the internet its a bit easier, just not in this type of thread lol not that any of you were not clear.....just me!
Old 08-04-11, 05:21 AM

jackrabbit is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: List of alkalizing, acidifying food / drinks and their effect on how amphetamine

This is an old thread but I'm going to clarify the questions here for any other readers that may happen upon it.

The distinction to make is that you have 3 parts where the pH of your body is important and each one can actually be quite different.
1)stomach
2)bowels
3)urinary tract

So, it is possible and in fact true that when you consume lemon juice it is acidic in the stomach but upon passing to the urinary tract those metabolized products are more base (alkaline).

I can't say what or how each food breaks down, but you can consider something like: if you take your stimulant with a glass of acid liquid then you are acidifying the stomach and the efficacy will be reduced since they- juice and pill- are co-mingled in the same sack. The ions/molecules cannot be absorbed as easily in the bowels (where the first level of absorption takes place) and so your good no-more-day-dreaming drug goes right down the toilet, really. Acid stomach = bad.

In having an alkaline stomach or at least a neutral one (as the manufacturer and Dr. expect you to have) then as the drug enters the bowels some amount of it is absorbed. The thing with this drug is that it isn't all absorbed at all. It is known that some percentage of your dose will go right out without passing Go.

You can increase absorption with increased pH levels but this has exponential effects, as I'll explain or you'll see yourself first. After some of your molecules are absorbed into the blood, they circulate and do their thing. Eventually they get filtered out and are put on their way to the yellow juice maker just like your happy body does with other things. However, it is the case that the condition of your urinary tract makes another impact on how well your response to this drug is. It is assumed again that your urinary tract will be of a normal pH and therefore those molecules will have some level of re-absorption based upon that.

Now if you p!ss acid, then your re-absorption will be low and therefore plasma levels drop.

But, if you've got enough base in your stream to mix a house cd, then you get extra re-absorption rates and plasma levels increase above what is predicted/expected based on your prescription. Result, increased effects.

If you're powers of reasoning are awake at this hour, then you might have figured out already that if you set yourself up to absorb more in the bowel and then to re-absorb more from the urine that you are increasing the available amount of this drug twice.

So, it is actually very important to consider your nutritional and dietary intakes while consuming these drugs.

Now if you are just looking for the best ways to get loaded from these pills, then I'm not helping you but probably hurting you. If you, like me, are trying to understand how it works so that you can have some consistency and reliability on your response and the overall effectiveness of your treatment schedule and program, then think about all this carefully. If you take your pill at 8am and down a glass of OJ at 9, you most likely are going to create a more alkaline urinary environment yet not impact the initial absorption condition, leading to potentiation.

Likewise, if you have a bowl of yogurt within 20 minutes of your dose, then you may have a reduced level of absorption due to stomach and bowel acidity.

Okay? I hope that helps. I've only just begun taking generic adderall about 2 months ago. I'm 33 and after all my years of struggling through school, 10 years of undergrad and a persistent inability to read a book, someone finally asked me if I was ever evaluated for adhd. I'm primarily inattentive type and I felt both a sense of relief at knowing that my failures weren't because I wasn't trying hard enough or that I was doing something wrong, but also there is a great sense of regret for never knowing what I could have done with all that time if I had been given the chance to treat and learn about this condition sooner. I'm extraordinarily detailed as a result of all those years of feeling like I had to know everything - a type of adhd paradox I think, but whatevs don't judge. So I had read some of this a while ago and I'm still having trouble getting consistency with the drugs. A food list of alkaline/base levels is just what I wanted, like above, thanks.

Thanks for being apart of this thread, good luck and if you are able to accept performing your limitations instead of limiting your performances then you will be golden. peace.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jackrabbit For This Useful Post:
eh+dub (09-28-12), illusione (09-25-11), Jericho (08-04-11), sinned17 (08-06-12), zumba_chick (08-28-11)
Old 08-05-12, 06:41 PM

Lessthan3 is on a distinguished road

What about the use of Proton Pump Inhibitors and vyvanse?
Old 08-05-12, 09:47 PM
ADDvanced Wookiee ADDvocate

Thanked 6,148 Times in 2,886 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessthan3 View Post
What about the use of Proton Pump Inhibitors and vyvanse?
No. That's one of the benefits of Vyvanse. Food doesn't interact the same way... at least not in regards to this thread.
What is true for diet, is essentially true for protein-pump inhibitors; it would change the acidity and therefor the absorption rate.
But, that is not an issue with Vyvanse.
Quote:
As a prodrug, VYVANSE is converted to its active form by the body’s natural metabolism. This conversion takes place minimally in the gastrointestinal tract and primarily in the blood. Additional pharmacokinetic studies have demonstrated that the conversion of VYVANSE to active medication is unlikely to be affected by alterations in GI transit times and does not rely on gastric pH. ADDERALL XR has a drug delivery system which utilizes immediate release and pH dependent release beads. This pH-dependent delivery system has one type of bead designed to be released immediately and the other type to be released approximately four hours later in the lower intestine where pH levels are higher.

The drug interactions section of the ADDERALL XR product labeling states that coadministration of ADDERALL XR and proton pump inhibitors should be avoided, as these medications act on proton pumps by blocking acid production thereby reducing gastric acidity.
http://www.shire.com/shireplc/en/inv...irenews?id=267

However, be aware:
Quote:
Food does not affect the observed AUC and Cmax of dextroamphetamine in healthy adults
after single-dose oral administration of 70 mg of Vyvanse capsules but prolongs Tmax
by approximately 1 hour (from 3.8 hrs at fasted state to 4.7 hrs after a high fat meal).
After an 8-hour fast, the AUCs for dextroamphetamine following oral administration of
lisdexamfetamine dimesylate in solution and as intact capsules were equivalent.
Source: http://pi.shirecontent.com/PI/PDFs/Vyvanse_USA_ENG.pdf

Quote:
7.6 Agents that May Reduce the Effects of (Vyvanse)Amphetamines

Chlorpromazine -Chlorpromazine blocks dopamine and norepinephrine receptors, thus inhibiting the central stimulant effects of amphetamines, and can be used to treat amphetamine poisoning.
Haloperidol -Haloperidol blocks dopamine receptors, thus inhibiting the central stimulant effects of amphetamines.
Lithium Carbonate -The anorectic and stimulatory effects of amphetamines may be inhibited by lithium carbonate.
If there was an issue with PPIs, it would be in the paperwork linked above.

You can compare this to similar information regarding Adderall XR... (a MUCH longer list)

For one, there is a specific mention of PPIs in the official paperwork from Shire

Quote:
7.7 Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPI)
PPIs act on proton pumps by blocking acid production, thereby reducing gastric
acidity. When ADDERALL XR (20 mg single-dose) was administered concomitantly
with the proton pump inhibitor, omeprazole (40 mg once daily for 14 days), the
median Tmax of d-amphetamine was decreased by 1.25 hours (from 4 to 2.75 hours),
and the median Tmax of l-amphetamine was decreased by 2.5 hours (from 5.5 to
3 hours), compared to ADDERALL XR administered alone. The AUC and Cmax of
each moiety were unaffected. Therefore, co-administration of ADDERALL XR and
proton pump inhibitors should be monitored for changes in clinical effect.
http://pi.shirecontent.com/PI/PDFs/A...XR_USA_ENG.PDF

Quote:
Food does not affect the extent of absorption of d-amphetamine and l-amphetamine, but prolongs Tmax by 2.5
hours (from 5.2 hrs at fasted state to 7.7 hrs after a high-fat meal for d-amphetamine and 2.1 hours (from
5.6 hrs at fasted state to 7.7 hrs after a high fat meal) for l amphetamine after administration of
Adderall XR 30-mg. Opening the capsule and sprinkling the contents on applesauce results in comparable
absorption to the intact capsule taken in the fasted state. Equal doses of ADDERALL XR strengths are bioequivalent.
Quote:
Drug Interactions: Acidifying agents -Gastrointestinal acidifying agents (guanethidine, reserpine, glutamic acid
HCI, ascorbic acid, etc.) lower absorption of amphetamines.

Urinary acidifying agents -These agents (ammonium chloride, sodium acid phosphate, etc.) increase the
concentration of the ionized species of the amphetamine molecule, thereby increasing urinary excretion. Both
groups of agents lower blood levels and efficacy of amphetamines.

Adrenergic blockers -Adrenergic blockers are inhibited by amphetamines.

Alkalinizing agents -Gastrointestinal alkalinizing agents (sodium bicarbonate, etc.) increase absorption of
amphetamines. Co-administration of ADDERALL XR™ and gastrointestinal alkalinizing agents, such as
antacids, should be avoided.

Urinary alkalinizing agents (acetazolamide, some thiazides) increase the
concentration of the non-ionized species of the amphetamine molecule, thereby decreasing urinary excretion.

Both groups of agents increase blood levels and therefore potentiate the actions of amphetamines.

Antidepressants, tricyclic -Amphetamines may enhance the activity of tricyclic antidepressants or
sympathomimetic agents; d-amphetamine with desipramine or protriptyline and possibly other tricyclics cause
striking and sustained increases in the concentration of d-amphetamine in the brain;
cardiovascular effects can be potentiated.

MAO inhibitors -MAOI antidepressants, as well as a metabolite of furazolidone, slow amphetamine metabolism.
This slowing potentiates amphetamines, increasing their effect on the release of norepinephrine and other
monoamines from adrenergic nerve endings; this can cause headaches and other signs of hypertensive crisis. A
variety of toxic neurological effects and malignant hyperpyrexia can occur, sometimes with fatal results.

Antihistamines -Amphetamines may counteract the sedative effect of antihistamines.

Antihypertensives -Amphetamines may antagonize the hypotensive effects of antihypertensives.

Chlorpromazine -Chlorpromazine blocks dopamine and norepinephrine receptors, thus inhibiting the central
stimulant effects of amphetamines, and can be used to treat amphetamine poisoning.

Ethosuximide -Amphetamines may delay intestinal absorption of ethosuximide.

Haloperidol -Haloperidol blocks dopamine receptors, thus inhibiting the central stimulant effects of
amphetamines.

Lithium carbonate -The anorectic and stimulatory effects of amphetamines may be inhibited by lithium
carbonate.

Meperidine -Amphetamines potentiate the analgesic effect of meperidine.

Methenamine therapy -Urinary excretion of amphetamines is increased, and efficacy is reduced, by acidifying
agents used in methenamine therapy.

Norepinephrine -Amphetamines enhance the adrenergic effect of norepinephrine.

Phenobarbital -Amphetamines may delay intestinal absorption of phenobarbital; co-administration of
phenobarbital may produce a synergistic anticonvulsant action.

Phenytoin -Amphetamines may delay intestinal absorption of phenytoin; co-administration of phenytoin may
produce a synergistic anticonvulsant action.

Propoxyphene -In cases of propoxyphene overdosage, amphetamine CNS stimulation is potentiated and fatal
convulsions can occur.

Veratrum alkaloids -Amphetamines inhibit the hypotensive effect of veratrum alkaloids.
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsa...303s005lbl.pdf

Last edited by Drewbacca; 08-05-12 at 10:14 PM..
Old 08-05-12, 11:39 PM
ADDvanced Wookiee ADDvocate

Thanked 6,148 Times in 2,886 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_kelly View Post
It is possible that people who have trouble sleeping after taking amphetamines may be able to more quickly excrete it before bedtime by drinking a couple of glasses of cranberry juice or a Vitamin C pill at dinner time. I have one patient who tried Vitamin C, and it worked.
This is BS by the way.
Once the amphetamine salts cross over into the blood, stomach acidity will no longer have any effect. Acidity affects the rate of absorption into the blood so unless you are drinking cranberry juice within a 3-4hour time frame prior to taking the amphetamine (or 3-4hours prior to the second release of amphetamines in the case of the XR formula), it won't have an effect.

If you follow the links that I provided in the above post, you can see exactly how the absorption of Adderall will change due to acidifying agents. If you are having trouble sleeping, take a smaller dose of amphetamine or look into the IR version. Drinking cranberry juice and/or orange juice won't make a difference unless you time it just right (during the absorption period) in order to change the Tmax.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
Amtram (08-06-12), BR549 (08-05-12), sinned17 (08-06-12)
Old 08-20-12, 03:37 PM

tenko is on a distinguished road

Wrong. Amphetamine is stored in urine. Drinking cranberry juice acidifies your urine, increasing its excretion.