ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 11-22-09, 12:04 PM

ashfeather is on a distinguished road
Question After adderall wears off, help?

Immediately after it starts to wear off at night, my head starts swirling, I am impulsive and a bit agressive, paranoia a bit, and I don't know how to aid in that. Adderall helps my life so much, but my husband and I have noticed thiis, is there anything anyone has done to aid in this type of situation, where it needs to wear off for bedtime, yet, you are a bit anxious? Vitamins? Anything or any advice, experience, please respond, thank you much!
Old 11-22-09, 12:12 PM
Jr Member

ADD_gal is on a distinguished road
Re: After adderall wears off, help?

Who is the maker of your adderall? Look at your bottle and it should tell you who the drug manufacture is.
Old 11-22-09, 12:16 PM
Contributor

rd_wnc is a jewel in the roughrd_wnc is a jewel in the roughrd_wnc is a jewel in the rough

How long have you been taking it? I had some of these symptoms early on but they lined out.

Now I just have to make sure I stay hydrated because it has a tendency to dehydrate you and that can exacerbate side effects.

A little light exercise can help too and too much alcohol makes it worse.
Old 11-22-09, 02:01 PM

ashfeather is on a distinguished road

I don't know where on the bottle it says it.. I looked. I know it is generic amphetamine salts.Is there a "code number" or something?
Old 11-22-09, 03:18 PM
Jr Member

jimtim is on a distinguished road

ADD gal, you asked this in my post as well-- I'm curious how what that signifie?
Ashfeather, I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm having some circulatory problems now so I'm gonna stay off it for a bit... for the paranoia, I would strongly recommend seeing a therapist or psychotherapist-- even if just for the duration of this period. You'll find paranoia wears off of most people as its a common withdrawal symptom. However for myself and others, I let it develop into a more severe anxiety that now requires more intensive treatment.

In all honesty, aside from medication, I use these resources the most:
1) BREATHING. This actually helps a ton... Try different exercises, body positions, and distractions (such as music)
2) Call someone or talk to someone. I find even though I still have the feelings, they aren't as bad and I have a good chance of getting distracted
3) Warm fluids... just calms me down. Stay in one place and don't go all over, or you may be overwhelmed. If I'm home and I become very paranoid, I try and just stay in my room or office and focus on one single task. Otherwise, my mind could take me to another place.

Stay positive-- you'll get through this! Best of luck.
Old 11-22-09, 03:40 PM
Contributor

rd_wnc is a jewel in the roughrd_wnc is a jewel in the roughrd_wnc is a jewel in the rough

There are probably several companies (Barr is the one I had used).

I went back to the name brand because the generic seemed inconsistent but I'm worried that it might also be the dosage....

Breathing is simple but does work. I walk my dogs or just hang out with them in the yard and it usually helps. Any distraction might be enough to get over the hump. don't come straight home and dive into doing stressful things (easier said than done I know).

If you've been on this a while (several weeks) I'd talk to the doctor about dosage or trying something else.

take care.
Old 11-22-09, 04:31 PM
Jr Member

ADD_gal is on a distinguished road

Please bare with me because this is long!
I guess I should give you a little background of where I'm comming from. I have had symptoms of ADHD as a child and as an adult I knew that my brain wasn't wired right. I always knew that I was ADD but I was in denial because I didn't think that I should be medicated. Well, I'm a senior in college and I'm also in nursing school and one of my instructor noticed that I was somewhat off and suggested that I talk to my doctor about symptoms of ADD. I went to the doctor and took some test and she did an assessment on me and of course I was diagnosed with ADD. She wrote me a script for adderall 20mg and I went to walgreens and got my medications filled. I then got my medication and of course it was generic and it was the pink pills made by Corepharma. I started taking 5mg twice a day and then slowly inched up to 10mg twice a day.

I first noticed that I was jittery and that I couldn't focus so I continued taking the medications as directed. I knew that adderall wasn't suppose to make you feel that way, from what I heard from others like me, but I thought that maybe it was just me because I was clearly stress out because of nursing school. I then did some research about generics vs brand name (I also had one semester of pharmacology) and I pulled up the chemical components and compared them side by side.

The orginial patented Adderall was made by a small company named Shire and they were recently bought out by Barr because they lost a large amount of money when the generics were avaliable. The company then changed their chemical formula but they were still making both the generic and name brand but the chemical formula were somewhat different. I digged deeper and found out that they were making adderall cheaper so they could make a larger profit.

I then looked up Corepharma, the generic adderall that I was taking, and I found that it had the bare minimum amount of "required" active ingredient in it so the binders and fillers were different. I found that the binders and fillers in the medications were the ones making me feel jittery and unfocused. Corepharma is owned by Teva and they are the biggest generic drug manufacturer in the world.

Then I compared the generic adderall made by Sandoz. I found that the formula was almost identical to the orginal Adderall made by Shire. They are a company based out of Germany and most of their products are held to the highest standard and they go through several testing before they introduce their products to consumers. The reason that it is soo hard for most people to get their products is that most chain drug pharmacies are bound by contract to use only a handful of generic drug companies.

I then found this fourm and found that there are several people like me who was going through the exact same thing that I was going through because of the Corepharma generic adderall. I didn't want to write anything yet until I tried the generic Sandoz and what a difference it made. It was night and day because I felt like my head was fuzzy and I didn't feel right when I was taking the pink generic Corepharma but the generic Sandoz was different. I told my doctor about this and I told her that I wanted another script for adderall but I had to look for a small independent pharmacy that carried the generic Sandoz. It took a while but I found one and I have been taking it for several days now. I didn't have the huge crash associated with the other adderall and I could focus without being overstimulated. I didn't feel jittery and I could actually sleep at night. Sandoz adderall is almost 95% as the orginial formula made by Shire and their binders and fillers are almost the same.

Right now I'm taking 20mg (10mg in the am and 10mg around noon) and I feel like I could actually focus. I hope this helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to ADD_gal For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (11-22-09)