ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 11-22-09, 01:31 PM

JeanS75 is on a distinguished road
Vyvanse and Melatonin

Has anyone taken Vyvanse and Melatonin at night to help sleep? Any advsere side effects? I've always had trouble sleeping, even before taking ADHD Meds. I started on Strattera of which changed my mood and personality dramatically at the age of 28 then switched to Adderrall XR 15mg and now more recently am on Vyvanse. I crased on Adderall XR 15mg pretty hard so my Dr. switched me to Vyvanse 30mg earlier this year.

It takes me forever to fall asleep at night,even if I take my Vyvanse at 6am of which I start to feel slower by about 3pm, I still struggle to fall asleep. I take 1 3mg Melatonin an hour before bedtime and not only feel sleepy but almost always stay asleep.

Now the problems I've noticed and I don't know why I did not make the connection before.. Since I started Vyvanse I've noticed "hot flashes" that i seem to get daily. My face is flushed, I feel intense heat in my face and my heart rate is going nuts. I thought I was having some early menopausal or perimenopausal symptoms so I went to an OB/GYN. Everything there is normal. I've been taking the Melatonin now for about 3 months with my Vyvanse however started the Vyvanse in May of this year. Anyone else experience these symptoms or taking Melatonin with Vyvanse? I of course did not consult with my Dr, since I thought it was a natural supplement but after much research it does not seem to be the case.
Old 11-22-09, 11:45 PM
ADDvanced Member

The Absent Mind will become famous soon enough
Re: Vyvanse and Melatonin

Hi,

I haven't taken melatonin myself. I have taken over-the-counter diphenhydramine (benadryl) for years and it works well for me. My doc said I can take it all I want and my p-doc actually prescribed me 125mg per day to sleep with 50mg trazodone. I think they're just glad it works and I don't need to take something like Ambien or Lunesta.

It really doesn't matter to me what I take, as long as it works and doesn't screw with me. Diphenhydramine/trazodone seems to do the trick so I am alright on that front.

It's just too bad that the Vyvanse doesn't last but 4 hours no matter what dose I take. The doc has upped me to 80mg form 50, I took 10mg more for a week at a time 'til 80mg this week, and damned if it doesn't do anything different no matter the dose... it last 4 hours.
Old 11-25-09, 08:22 PM
Contributor

demo3210 is an unknown quantity at this point

I couldn't get to sleep without melatonin. I've been taking it every night for at least a year.

I think it works great, personally. It's also a great antioxidant and if you research some of the effects (using '.edu' websites of course) there is a general consensus that it is quite good for you.

The only thing is if you get time-release or extended-release, it makes me groggy in the morning and I think it is really unnecessary. I had researched before that your body can only ingest like .24mg. So 1 mg would definitely do the trick, 3mg or more is really just overkill.

For what it's worth, in your natural circadian rhythm, melatonin levels typically peak around 2 A.M. Melatonin is also produced by your pineal gland in your eye in response to darkness. So if you're sitting in a bright room or watching a bright T.V., you're not helping yourself.

A tip from my perspective, when you take melatonin, I think there is a limited time-window for you to get to sleep. I typically take it an hour before I am about to go to sleep and that seems to work well. I know if I stay up longer than a couple hours my opportunity to fall asleep has passed.

This part I am not recommending per say, but I also chew it up to get it to release as fast as possible and get it out of my system as fast as possible.
manismom (10-01-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-10, 02:26 AM
Contributor

manismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of lightmanismom is a glorious beacon of light

My daughter has developmental delays and sensory issues that occasionally cause her to have trouble sleeping. She is 5 yrs old now, but has taken Melatonin on and off since she was 3 yrs old as per her fairly conservative pediatricians instructions. She does NOT take Vyvanse or any other meds but Zyrtec (allergy). Her Ped said that it was safe for a 3 yr old and OK to crush it to give it to her.

But no one has addressed jeanS75's statement: "I of course did not consult with my Dr, since I thought it was a natural supplement but after much research it does not seem to be the case."

I hope you were kidding!! For several years, I worked for a magazine that promoted natural medicine and supplements. These can be very powerful medicines and there can be severe reactions with other supplements and prescription medicines. You really should tell your doctor or at least check with your pharmacist before you take something like this.

I don't mean to get all mom on you, but supplements aren't regulated by the FDA. They don't have to have the same warning labels as OTC medicines and the companies that make them don't have to test them as thoroughly.
Old 10-01-10, 09:27 PM

drewm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanS75 View Post
Now the problems I've noticed and I don't know why I did not make the connection before.. Since I started Vyvanse I've noticed "hot flashes" that i seem to get daily. My face is flushed, I feel intense heat in my face and my heart rate is going nuts..
Hmm I've been experiencing occasional very red cheeks which feel warm. I wonder if this is similar to what you're describing. I'm on adderall though and the red face seems to come when I take a 5-htp (i'll have to experiment a few times to make a definite link between the two)

Quote:
I of course did not consult with my Dr, since I thought it was a natural supplement but after much research it does not seem to be the case.
Never hurts to tell the doc about natural supplements you are on. It has been my experience that they mostly usually don't know anything about them. I wonder if a pharmacist would be better to talk to about it. Then again I can't see having much more dialogue with my pharmacist than "hi I need to get this filled" and "ok it will be about 10 minutes".

BTW can you point me towards the info you found about melatonin not being natural? I've always understood it to be a naturally occuring chemical or something or another that your body makes. I would be very interested in reading up on it.
Old 10-01-10, 10:06 PM
Contributor

mimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nicemimi'sdreaming is just really nice

Quote:
Has anyone taken Vyvanse and Melatonin at night to help sleep? Any advsere side effects? I've always had trouble sleeping, even before taking ADHD Meds. I started on Strattera of which changed my mood and personality dramatically at the age of 28 then switched to Adderrall XR 15mg and now more recently am on Vyvanse. I crased on Adderall XR 15mg pretty hard so my Dr. switched me to Vyvanse 30mg earlier this year.

It takes me forever to fall asleep at night,even if I take my Vyvanse at 6am of which I start to feel slower by about 3pm, I still struggle to fall asleep. I take 1 3mg Melatonin an hour before bedtime and not only feel sleepy but almost always stay asleep.

Now the problems I've noticed and I don't know why I did not make the connection before.. Since I started Vyvanse I've noticed "hot flashes" that i seem to get daily. My face is flushed, I feel intense heat in my face and my heart rate is going nuts. I thought I was having some early menopausal or perimenopausal symptoms so I went to an OB/GYN. Everything there is normal. I've been taking the Melatonin now for about 3 months with my Vyvanse however started the Vyvanse in May of this year. Anyone else experience these symptoms or taking Melatonin with Vyvanse? I of course did not consult with my Dr, since I thought it was a natural supplement but after much research it does not seem to be the case.
Ok, I'm on Vyvanse 80mg (for the last two months) and no melatonin. I do take Klonopin at bedtime. I have recently noticed hot flashes, dry skin and hair (which I love) along with extra hair loss. I've wondered if it's stress or the beginning of menopause. No heart rate increase, though.

I've also hard a hard time remembering and keeping things together. I really thought it was the beginning of menopause or the extra stress I've been under. Now, I wonder.......

No sleep problems whatever!

ADD mom to a 7 year old with ADHD combined type.
We both have the privilege of adding "Anxiety" into the mix!
Old 12-16-10, 12:18 AM
Jr Member

jdi411 is on a distinguished road

Hey Jean, I have had very bad reactions with my adderall the day after taking melatonin. I've noticed that with supplements, many people react differently to their interactions with supplements. I can not say this is true for everyone but the combination was not good for me. I have heard similar anecdotal reports from others. I know there are many people who take it with stimulants to help them sleep without a problem and under the guidance of a physician.
Old 12-16-10, 08:11 PM

shelly7783 is on a distinguished road

My doc said it's ok for me to take melatonin with my adderall. Otherwise I can't fall asleep until really late and sleep worse than I do with it, which isn't that great anyway. You probably want to ask your doc before you do, though.
Old 12-16-10, 11:57 PM

hithere is on a distinguished road

Melatonin is not recommended for anyone prone to depression! That means most adult ADD patients. I use Valerian, which is where the drug Valium comes from. Regular exercise also helps.
Old 12-19-10, 07:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

Nickis2legit will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hithere View Post
Melatonin is not recommended for anyone prone to depression! That means most adult ADD patients. I use Valerian, which is where the drug Valium comes from. Regular exercise also helps.
Can you please post a reliable source on your argument, your brain naturally produces melatonin, which regulates your sleep schedule and it produces most of it around 2 AM. So sleeping is not recommended for anyone prone to depression? I don't mean to bash your post but I just don't like false information being passed without a source.
Source:
Quote:
Melatonin (pronounced /ˌmɛləˈtoʊnɪn/ ( listen)), also known chemically as N-acetyl-5-methoxytryptamine,[1] is a naturally occurring compound found in animals, plants, and microbes.[2][3] In animals, circulating levels of the hormone melatonin vary in a daily cycle, thereby allowing the entrainment of the circadian rhythms of several biological functions.[4]
Many biological effects of melatonin are produced through activation of melatonin receptors,[5] while others are due to its role as a pervasive and powerful antioxidant,[6] with a particular role in the protection of nuclear and mitochondrial DNA.[7]
In mammals, melatonin is secreted into the blood by the pineal gland in the brain. Known as the "hormone of darkness", it is secreted in darkness in both day-active (diurnal) and night-active (nocturnal) animals.[8]
It may also be produced by a variety of peripheral cells such as bone marrow cells,[9][10] lymphocytes and epithelial cells. Usually, the melatonin concentration in these cells is much higher than that found in the blood but it does not seem to be regulated by the photoperiod.
Melatonin-rich plant feed, such as rice, ingested by chicks has been shown to reach and bind to melatonin receptors in their brains.[11] No food has been found to elevate plasma melatonin levels in humans.[12]
Products containing melatonin have been available over-the-counter as a dietary supplement in the United States since before 1994.[13] In many other countries, sale of the hormone remains illegal or requires a prescription, and the U.S. Postal Service lists melatonin among items prohibited by Germany.[14]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

"They claim their labors are to build a heaven, yet their heaven is populated by horrors. Perhaps the world is not made. Perhaps nothing is made. A clock without a craftsman. It's too late. Always has been, always will be. Too late."
Old 01-16-11, 05:23 PM

AllieT is on a distinguished road

I've been taking Vyvanse for nearly 4 years and it gives me insomnia, loss of appetite, anxiety, tachycardia, and I start to clean and organize anything and everything which is not me at all. I can sit down and read/draw/study/whatever for hours and not realize it. Whoever recommended it for sleep.... isn't very smart since a side effect is insomnia.
Old 01-22-11, 03:10 PM

Microwench is on a distinguished road

Ok, first, please please pwease talk to your doctor about your 'hot flashes' Those are symptoms of high blood pressure. I know because I am very closely monitoring mine since starting Vyvanse (seems to raise mine a bit too high)

Second, check with your doc about the Melatonin, just because it is a VERY good idea to run even natural stuff by the doc.

Now, in my experience, Melatonin is awesome. I have taken it for years for my sleep issues. I also take 100mg Trazadone at night as well. As demo3210 said, I have notices I have a limited window to zonk out. Mine is about 30 minutes. If I fight it for whatever reason (usually a good book) it doesn't seem to work at all.