ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 11-23-09, 10:00 PM

Cosmic Dust is on a distinguished road
30 MG Adderall XR = ? MG Adderall IR

(I'm sure that this has been discussed before and the answer is somewhere, but I couldn't seem to find it, so I apologize in advance.)

I was originally prescribed Adderall IR - 20mg 3x a day. I started out taking 10mg 3x a day, but as my body started to build a tolerance, I increased my dosage up to 25mg 3x a day and would take days off so that my prescription wouldn't run out because of the increased daily dosage.

I asked my doctor if I could get my dosage increased, because as I am taking it now, I can't make it through the entire day on 60mg.

He decided to switch me to 30mg of XR - 1x a day (which should last from 8 - 5pm), and an additional 20mg of IR to take around 5pm if I needed it.

He claims that 30mg of XR - 1x = 20mg of IR - 3x for some unknown scientific reasons. I'm a bit skeptical.

Has anyone had any experience with a switch like this?

Thanks.
Old 11-24-09, 07:11 AM

OrangeFootball is on a distinguished road
Re: 30 MG Adderall XR = ? MG Adderall IR

Adderall XR is designed to approximate two doses of IR taken at four hours apart. For example, a 20mg XR is meant to be equivalent to two 10mg IR doses taken four hours apart. Thus, one 30mg XR equals two 15mg IR.

For whatever reason, some people respond better to one over the other, so straight dose equivalency may not be the only factor.
Old 11-24-09, 08:51 AM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice
Re: 30 MG Adderall XR = ? MG Adderall IR

- Adderall XR conversion to IR is 1:1
So 30 mg XR = 30 mg IR
http://www.adderallxr.com/pdf/AXR_FPI.pdf

- your doc said that 30 mg XR= 60 mg IR does not make sense so I would get a second opinion.
- 30 mg adderall XR capsule, releases 15 mg instantly and 15 mg 4 hours later so that's still 30 mg.
- maybe he is trying to lower your dose, if it works, that's a good thing.
Sponsored Links