ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Education
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Education This forum is to discuss issues related to ADD and higher education.

Old 05-25-04, 09:44 AM
Forum Guru

smooch has disabled reputation
Question "I think I have ADHD..."

The following article was found through the Monmouth College site:

Frequently Asked questions about Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

What is Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder?

Otherwise known as ADHD, it is a neurological condition that affects learning and behavior. Symptoms tend to change throughout one’s lifetime. Adults with ADHD may have problems with tardiness, impatience, and may be disorganized. Mood swings and problems sleeping are especially common in college students.

If I wasn’t diagnosed as a child, can I be diagnosed in college?

Yes, if a student is academically successful as a child, parents and teachers may not have identified them as in need of assessment, but college students can be tested for ADHD.

I have the symptoms, Do I have ADHD?

Most college students report difficulties concentrating at one time or another. A large number of medical and psychiatric conditions cause problems with attention and concentration. Anxiety and depression are common conditions that cause concentration problems. However, ADHD that is left untreated my also produce symptoms of anxiety and depression. Disordered eating, sleep disturbances, and substance abuse frequently cause symptoms of inattention. Interpersonal relationships and family conflicts are especially common sources of inattention for college students.

What can I do if I think I have ADHD?

You must first be sure that your symptoms are not secondary to depression or anxiety. Thus, it is crucial that you see a professional trained in ADHD who has worked with college students. A misdiagnosis may result in an exacerbation of inattentive symptoms and will only make matters worse. If you think you need to be tested you can call Edited out--irrelevant contact information. Find a doctor!

How is ADHD treated?

If you are diagnosed with ADHD, there are a variety of ways in which you can reduce the severity of the symptoms. Medication is frequently recommended. However, modifying organizational and study behaviors, participating in counseling or support groups, and seeking accommodations through the college can also be helpful. Because students with ADHD often experience interpersonal difficulties outside of school, participation in therapy is strongly encouraged.

smooch
Old 04-29-05, 01:55 PM
Banned

mccoffee is on a distinguished road
I would talke it over with a medical professional before you are thnking you have add all thease syptomps posted in advertisments could fit the majority of the people in the Unitied States, when there is more to dignoising it then those syptomps they advertise.
Old 04-29-05, 02:12 PM
Contributor

jlscott252 has disabled reputation
I agree, with mccoffee. There are other factors that can cause ADHD-like symptoms. The best thing you could do, is to talk to a medical professional about the symptoms you are experiencing.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-05, 02:32 AM

subliminal has disabled reputation
i didn't think i had it. i was talking to the doctor about something else entirely, and she wanted to see some bloodwork results i was supposed to have... and i said, "oh yeah, that must of been that peice of paper i carried around in my pack for most of the year last year... i guess i never got around to it" and so she asked me some more questions, and bingo! i had to fill out some stupid forms (the bane of my existence...)
i had been given rittalin before at my previous university, but i didn't believe i had ADD, i just liked drugs..
Old 12-04-07, 12:49 AM
ADDvanced Member

amnorvend is on a distinguished road
Re: College Student -"I think I have ADHD..."

One other point I would like to add here...

In most colleges, there are plenty of resources available to you. Use them! They may not be able to give you everything you need, but they can very well give you the resources to find them. For example, my school has a counseling center (student counseling services). I went to them telling them I thought I had ADD. They weren't able to do the testing (shame, it would have saved me a few hundred dollars), but they referred me to an excellent psychologist. And now I'm going to the on-campus clinic to see a psychiatrist about treatment.
Old 02-27-08, 12:42 AM

Via Chicago is on a distinguished road

I believe there is more of a tendency to recognize these sorts of things nowadays and that it is certainly is a good thing that more and more people are encouraging people who exhibit these tendencies to get tested.
Old 04-17-08, 09:06 PM

rbrennan is on a distinguished road

I have recently been diagnosed and being a college student without good health insurance, can't afford to go to a psychologist or someone like that. Is there anything I can do to help myself?
Old 04-22-08, 06:27 AM
ADDvanced Member

Zerbinetta is a jewel in the roughZerbinetta is a jewel in the roughZerbinetta is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrennan View Post
I have recently been diagnosed and being a college student without good health insurance, can't afford to go to a psychologist or someone like that. Is there anything I can do to help myself?
Hey there!

One thing I've found, both for myself and for one of the sixteen-year-olds I tutor for a living, is that as long as your motivation doesn't have to come from inside you, things could work out just fine. Find someone to poke you when you need it. This might take the form of an individual, one-on-one study buddy, but full-on support or peer coaching groups could provide a wealth of further tips and, well, support.

I expect most US colleges will have their own student-run AD/HD coaching groups already, but if need be, you can seek out fellow diagnosed students and start one yourself.

If you need to be reminded, I could PM you about it.
Old 08-10-09, 09:54 PM

Location: Body: Idaho, USA/ Mind: In a Fantsy World You Claim Doesn't Exist
Phyra is on a distinguished road

I think there are many productive people out there who don't realize that school is a lot harder for them than it should be - I was certainly in that boat. I started looking into ADHD because of social problems that I didn't seem to be growing out of - talking to loud and fast, not being able to stay on topic, and not being able to wait my turn in conversations. It wasn't until later that I realized just how hard I had to work in school. I'm on medication now and the results are amazing and my grades have soared!! I'm actually halfway enjoying school now.

I just wish that I'd been diagnosed BEFORE my senior year of college...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phyra For This Useful Post:
IloveBillHicks (05-14-13), tmblwd53 (08-05-11)
Old 12-16-09, 10:58 AM

PaigeNMEM is on a distinguished road

I am 40 and have returned to college. Thank God for my Psychology professor and a lecture on ADD/ADHD. I swear, that lecture was all about me!! I am the one in class who blurts out answers, asks tons of questions, and interrupts. I am afraid I will lose my thought it I don't. After speaking with my professor he suggested that I see a psychiatrist for an evalution and read about the diagnosis so I can go into the office informed. Well I did yesterday and low and behold, I was diagnosed with ADHD and placed on Adderall xr 20mg a day.

All I can see is that you have absolutely noting to lose by talking with a professional. You are not crazy, airheaded, or uncaring. There are definitely treatments to help with symptoms. The first step is recognizing it. Good luck to everyone!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaigeNMEM For This Useful Post:
lawmac (04-24-12), Savvy2b (09-12-10), TheRealMcCoy (10-17-11)
Old 06-10-11, 06:14 PM

nad123 is on a distinguished road

Nice share, I will be going of to college soon. and hope i get properly diagnosed soon.
Old 08-05-11, 09:54 PM

tmblwd53 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyra View Post
I think there are many productive people out there who don't realize that school is a lot harder for them than it should be - I was certainly in that boat. I started looking into ADHD because of social problems that I didn't seem to be growing out of - talking to loud and fast, not being able to stay on topic, and not being able to wait my turn in conversations. It wasn't until later that I realized just how hard I had to work in school. I'm on medication now and the results are amazing and my grades have soared!! I'm actually halfway enjoying school now.

I just wish that I'd been diagnosed BEFORE my senior year of college...
Hi Phyra- I can totally relate to this...I looked around in my final year of school and wondered to myself, why is this so much harder for me than my peers? I would leave everything for the last minute, I couldn't ever get my thoughts straight or be as effortless in my organization of papers as other students. Everything seemed like more of a task/chore. I felt like I spent more time getting assignments done to just say they were done, and not any time "learning". I made the decision to go to graduate school and I knew I had to get an assessment done because I did not want to jeopardize this new program.
So this summer I went to a psychologist and this week I was officially diagnosed. I have to meet with my family doctor to discuss medication, but I feel so much better knowing that there is a reason I was feeling like it was such a struggle. I am looking forward to addressing this and hopefully, I will see a change come this September.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tmblwd53 For This Useful Post:
IloveBillHicks (05-14-13), Lea Ann (12-14-11), yellowflowers (07-25-12)
Old 12-14-11, 11:35 PM

Lea Ann is on a distinguished road

Badda bing, this is what I want! Read this in a post on this site! "Dr. Theodore Mandelkorn of Seattle says that ADDers on (proper) "medication IMPROVE their attention span, concentration, memory, motor coordination, mood,and on-task behavior. At the same time they DECREASE daydreaming, hyperactivity, anger, immature behavior, defiance, and oppositional behavior. Medical treatment allows intellectual capabilities that were already present to function more appropriately." College would be so much more enjoyable as well as work and daily personal interactions!
Old 12-14-11, 11:39 PM

Lea Ann is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmblwd53 View Post
Hi Phyra- I can totally relate to this...I looked around in my final year of school and wondered to myself, why is this so much harder for me than my peers? I would leave everything for the last minute, I couldn't ever get my thoughts straight or be as effortless in my organization of papers as other students. Everything seemed like more of a task/chore. I felt like I spent more time getting assignments done to just say they were done, and not any time "learning". I made the decision to go to graduate school and I knew I had to get an assessment done because I did not want to jeopardize this new program.
So this summer I went to a psychologist and this week I was officially diagnosed. I have to meet with my family doctor to discuss medication, but I feel so much better knowing that there is a reason I was feeling like it was such a struggle. I am looking forward to addressing this and hopefully, I will see a change come this September.
I feel the same as you! I could not understand why everything was SO hard! I will be going back to my Dr. next week to discuss medication , i do hope that next semester will be so much better and that graduate college will be enjoyable for me. Best of luck to you!