ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 11-29-09, 06:38 PM

Lillian2011 is on a distinguished road
Adderall & Dehydration

Hello,
I'm new to these forums. I'm on Adderall XR 25mg/day, with 2 other medications.

I've noticed that I've been dehydrated quite frequently and it's getting worrisome and annoying. I do try to drink water as much as I can, but most of the time I'm not even thirsty. Besides, it makes no difference since my temperature is always lower than normal. Nurses told me that a below-normal temperature usually means you are dehydrated.

I've read about how Adderall can cause dehydration and lack of thirst. Is that true? I try not to drink during school hours because I hate leaving the classroom.

Right now, I feel very tired and sluggish and yes, I got enough sleep. I told my dad I'm dehydrated, he wouldn't listen. He says I'm just self-diagnosing myself, which isn't true. Nobody listens to me! I hate dehydration. I gotta get off this stupid med. What should I do about it?
Old 11-29-09, 07:52 PM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice
Re: Adderall & Dehydration

Adderall raises your body temperature and speeds up your metabolism.

because of the increase in temperature your body responds by increasing water intake to cool it down.

its very dangerous not to drink lots and lots of water while on adderall.

anyways, I always find my self going into so much detail without even realizing. Damn you OCD!!

but I didn't want for all I wrote to go to waste. so read below for FYI.

====================================
you might feel cold at your extremities. because adderall throws off the internal body temperature balance little bit.

your body thinks that you are in fight or flight because of the adrenaline produced as a result of adderallso you are in survival mood so your body starts to increase energy production to escape "danger". To produce energy your body consumes extra heat to burn fat and turn it into sugar (quick source of energy).

Your body grabs the extra heat from the least important places in your body (hands and feet). Your core temperature has to stay the same (thats where your organs are) which is the most important.

But actually your temperature is little bit higher than normal (core temp).

a student died during football practice because of dehydration while on adderall XR. I think his coach was pushing them too hard and didn't allow water breaks in the middle of the summer in Florida. the coach was prosecuted but was proven innocent and of course blamed it on adderall.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5300870.shtml

You produce less saliva while on adderall. saliva protects the teeth from bacteria by keeping your mouth moist. So less saliva will dry up your mouth and that is the perfect environment for bacteria to breed and multiply. leads to tooth decay and bad breath. bad breath is a hydrogen sulfide gas produced by the bacteria that is eating the food between your teeth and produce acids that eats up your teeth! (plaque) have you heard of meth mouth?

so more water means you keep your mouth moist.

if you dont wanna go to the bathroom too much. drink sugary juices or better Gatorade to replenish all the electrolytes you lost during dehydration.
one gram of sugar or salt holds three grams of water in your body. that's why they say if you wanna lose weight fast for a party of something is to cut the sugar for a week. because when you lose the sugar, you lose the water weight and look less bloated.

salt is the same thing. I dont know if you saw guys in bars sometimes sprinkle salt on the beer so they dont have to go to the bathroom too much (not recommended cause it will raise your blood pressure).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Josh_kelly For This Useful Post:
dejoke (11-29-09), FrazzleDazzle (12-01-09), Louder Than Love (11-29-09), nomoredenial (05-11-12), rockydaydreamer (08-19-12)
Old 11-29-09, 08:02 PM
Forum Guru

Louder Than Love is a jewel in the roughLouder Than Love is a jewel in the roughLouder Than Love is a jewel in the rough

That...... was VERY informative, indeed. thanks Josh.

And yeah, unless i forget a bottle , I usually drink 3 quarts of water a day.
Old 11-29-09, 09:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,628 Times in 881 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of

My son feels dehydrated on his Adderall too. Along with drinking lots of water throughout the day just to feel okay, when he comes home from school, or after some good physical activity, he drinks a glass of V8, which helps replenish electrolytes and other good stuff that the Adderall seems to deplete.
The Following User Says Thank You to FrazzleDazzle For This Useful Post:
dejoke (11-29-09)