ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-09, 01:07 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADHD Ceilidh is on a distinguished road
What does NT stand for?

I gather it is used on this forum as slang to refer to those without ADD/ADHD. However, I have no idea what it stands for, and it is not included on the acronym list. A forum search comes up empty also. I'm sure this has been asked by many new forum members so maybe an obvious sticky thread would be helpful? Is there one and I missed it? Thanks.
Of course, you should discount everything I just wrote until you independently research it on your own and verify it's validity. Nothing written by me should be interpreted as specific medical advice or replace the recommendations of your doctor. My advice on this forum is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease. If you feel you have a medical emergency, hang up and dial 911.
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHD Ceilidh For This Useful Post:
Sarai (05-26-10)
Old 12-26-09, 01:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What does NT stand for?

I understand it to mean Neuro Typical as a quick designation for one who is not ADHD.

It is not a technical term but a short cut one. Not totally accurate but useful and seen often in the context of this forum.

Dizfriz
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
ADHD Ceilidh (12-26-09), ADHDTigger (12-26-09), Marta (03-07-10), meridian (12-27-09)
Old 12-26-09, 07:19 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADHD Ceilidh is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: What does NT stand for?

Thank you much.
Of course, you should discount everything I just wrote until you independently research it on your own and verify it's validity. Nothing written by me should be interpreted as specific medical advice or replace the recommendations of your doctor. My advice on this forum is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease. If you feel you have a medical emergency, hang up and dial 911.
The Following User Says Thank You to ADHD Ceilidh For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (12-27-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-09, 07:23 PM

Thanked 13,641 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

A suggestion actually came in to another section asking about pulling together a glossary and stickying it. Good call. Took me weeks to figure out what NT meant here- to me, it was an old Microsoft operating system!

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
cwatca (01-13-10), Dizfriz (12-27-09), innaminute (12-26-09)
Old 12-27-09, 02:43 PM

Thanked 6,891 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizfriz View Post
I understand it to mean Neuro Typical as a quick designation for one who is not ADHD.

It is not a technical term but a short cut one. Not totally accurate but useful and seen often in the context of this forum.

Dizfriz
Finally! Thanks!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
The Following User Says Thank You to meridian For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (12-27-09)
Old 12-27-09, 11:21 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 2,038 Times in 577 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Here's three acronym glossary/guides...all in one thread http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11111

Hope it helps!

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew For This Useful Post:
Addr68 (01-24-10), ADHDTigger (12-28-09), Sarai (05-26-10)
Old 12-28-09, 12:38 AM

PeteM62 has a spectacular aura aboutPeteM62 has a spectacular aura about

Andrew,

I too had trouble with NT. It was only after looking at the acronym guide 3 times that I found it way at the end. Can I suggest an edit to put the really common ones at the beginning? Some I can think of besides NT would include all of the dear relatives such as DH, DS and DD (husband, son and daughter). Not sure why I never see DW Also, Dx and p-doc.
Old 12-28-09, 12:53 AM

Thanked 5,013 Times in 2,424 Posts
livinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond reputelivinginchaos has a reputation beyond repute

the easiest thing to do is go to "edit" and then "find" and you can search within the document (or post, in this case) for exactly what you're looking for.

Leonard: “You’re using chocolates as positive reinforcement for what you consider good behavior!”
Sheldon: “Very good! Chocolate?”
-The Big Bang Theory (sitcom on CBS)
Old 12-28-09, 01:16 AM

PeteM62 has a spectacular aura aboutPeteM62 has a spectacular aura about

Hmmm. Tried edit -> find on DH. Found Developmentally Handicapped not Dear Husband. While I bet some wives would claim that is the same thing, I would think that would be confusing to most.
Old 12-28-09, 05:10 AM

InfantryWifWhit will become famous soon enough

LOL. I thought I may be the only one who was hasn't jumped on the "acronym user's bandwagon" yet. I always saw where people used it in their posts, and wondered what in the he!! "NT" could possibly stand for.
Old 12-28-09, 06:39 AM

Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Beyond just meaning "person without ADHD," this term actually means "person free from any kind of psychiatric or psychologically differentiating features." So people without ADHD who have other psychiatric conditions are not "neurotypical."

It's worth noting that using this term gives implicit assent to the "neurodiversity" movement by using its terminology. I'd caution against using this term unless you are of that perspective, because using it makes you appear to be a proponent of that philosophy.

For example, I would never use this term because I do not support that social movement. I prefer the more exact "person without ADHD," which more appropriately includes a significant portion of the population (those with psychiatric disorders that aren't ADHD) that "neurotypical" does not. Meanwhile, when someone does use the term "neurotypical," I see them as supporters of the "neurodiversity" campaign, which may misrepresent their philosophy and cause me to assume they hold beliefs they may not.
Old 12-28-09, 07:31 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

AliKatski has a spectacular aura aboutAliKatski has a spectacular aura about

Neuro = (of the) brain Typical = normal/common.

So.... Normal Brain!

Normal, of course, being the term coined by people who see themselves as being the same as everyone else i.e. commonly encountered. If the majority of the population. for example, had ADHD, we'd be the NT's (interesting thought).

Bearing in mind the fact that every facet of our behaviour, personality etc. is governed by the way our mind works, the 'neurodiversity campaign' is something to which we all belong, simply by voicing the well-known fact that we are all different and unique.

I agree that on this forum, NT means 'not having ADHD or any of the other 'conditions' that are written about here'.

Ali

In Pagan times, uninspired people made sacrifices at the altar, and today, thanks to marriage, many still do. - Danny McCrossan - Northern Irish Comedian.

I didn't mean to offend you, it was a slip of the mind
The Following User Says Thank You to AliKatski For This Useful Post:
tinywiney (12-28-09)
Old 12-28-09, 08:08 AM

Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Do you hear that? That's the sound of my slow march to eventually making a megathread about the neurodiversity movement. I should probably get access to the debates forum first though.

Amusingly, the term "neurotypical" was coined by autistic people and given as a label to people outside their social group. It's almost a pejorative.

I do not belong to the neurodiversity campaign and in fact oppose it as misguided. This is despite my being an advocate for mental health in my area, and a member of the ACA and AMHCA with a dedication to positive social change and acceptance and tolerance for people with mental disorders. So I am not some reactionary **** who hates equal rights or something. I think that particular social movement is off-base.
Old 12-28-09, 08:41 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

AliKatski has a spectacular aura aboutAliKatski has a spectacular aura about

That's interesting - autism coining the phrase (btw - I know nothing about the neurodiversity campaign ) thanks for the info. I was voicing my opinion as to how the idea of neurodiversity is inbuilt into mankind and as such is something that really shouldn't need a campaign (sad to say we need to be reminded that we are all different).

I'd be interested to discuss this with you.

Ali

In Pagan times, uninspired people made sacrifices at the altar, and today, thanks to marriage, many still do. - Danny McCrossan - Northern Irish Comedian.

I didn't mean to offend you, it was a slip of the mind
The Following User Says Thank You to AliKatski For This Useful Post:
tinywiney (12-28-09)
Old 12-28-09, 10:16 AM
ADDvanced Member

Lost Focus will become famous soon enough

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks!
Closed Thread