ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & Fibromyalgia
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-09, 08:17 PM
Contributor

leapofaith is just really niceleapofaith is just really niceleapofaith is just really niceleapofaith is just really nice
Started new fibro medication today...Leary but hopeful.

Hi, I just wanted to post this experience for others who are ADD with firbro too. If you have tried this medication, let me know what you think, Please.

I am 37 y/o diagnosed w/ ADHD a little over 2 years ago. Just recently have I found the correct medication and dosage for my ADD. (20mg ritalin 3x a day)

I was diagnosed with firbro last winter after every test known to man kind. The doctor that diagnosed me is one of the hospitals leading docs for her dept. at U of M. She admitted that she was very confused by some of my test results. Like having a really high anti-body count for Lupus but no other positives that she would expect to see with that anti-body count. She put me on prednisone (sp) and diagnosed me with the fibro. She said come back if this doesn't help. I know, that was a year ago, in typical ADD fashion I haven't been back yet...

I took the steroids for 4 months and quit due to extreme weight gain. 70lbs in 4 months!!! It got to the point where the extra weight canceled out the benefits of the steroids. I have just been living with it since. Until last week that is. Now that I am on the correct med/dosage for my ADD, I have alot less anxiety and am thinking much clearer. I went in to see my family doctor(who prescribes my ritalin too) and told him it was time to address all this pain I have. And the weight that never came off after quitting steroids. He has sent me for another round of blood work for my thyroid, he suspects it is low and will start me on meds for it when results come in. As for the fibro, he started me on a 4 week Titration Pack of Savella. Its fairly new in the US. He said he has heard wonderful things about it. I took my first dose this evening. It takes four weeds to get up to the optimal dosage. In the mean time I am also titrating down and eventually off of Effexor. I have been taking it for 5 years and it isn't working anymore. I never quit taking it because the withdrawal is HE*LL. Shouldn't be that bad with the Savella though.

Ok, I'll stop now, sorry. I will update from time to time......
Old 12-30-09, 01:22 AM
Forum ADDvocate

sarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of lightsarey is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Started new fibro medication today...Leary but hopeful.

hope it goes well.

I am who I am, and sweetie, your approval isn't needed, no matter how much you think it is!
The Following User Says Thank You to sarey For This Useful Post:
leapofaith (12-30-09)
Old 05-06-10, 03:12 PM

pumibel is on a distinguished road

Steroids are so scary! I guess they have their place in treating the most difficult conditions, but they come at a high price. The only time I ever took them was when I had a nearly deadly reaction to penicillin. That was a titrated dose for about 2 weeks, so no significant weight gain or damage. I have read that prednizone can cause diabetes and bone loss, on top of many other conditions. my mom took the for her extreme inflammation from arthritis and fibromyalgia, just as you said. She gained 30 lbs pretty quick, but it took longer to take it off.

I wish you luck in getting back to feeling good again. It is great that your ADD is being treated successfully now, so maybe everything else will also fall into place.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-10, 04:41 PM

kimmie31075 is on a distinguished road

Hi there Leapofaith. I have very good news for you! I have Fibromyalgia (also have recently been diagnosed with ADD) and am taking Savella and it is the miracle drug that I prayed for. I hope that it works for you too. It did take a little while to kick in, I don't remember exactly how long. I have been on Savella for a little over a year and it has helped me so much with the pain and even the exhaustion. I have a three year old and wasn't able to carry her anymore before the Savella. My life was in shambles, my Hubby did everything, I slept all weekend long and then on Monday when I had to go to work I would cry because I was in so much pain and still so exhausted. Now the pain is manageable, it isn't completely gone, I still have flare ups here and there. But it's not constant and that is such a miracle for me.

One thing that you should know is that for some reason it's difficult to find in pharmacies. The pharmacy that I use (Target) only had the sample packs and were selling them as a prescription, which wouldn't have worked because it's different mgs. So, make sure you give yourself enough time to have the RX filled before you run out of your sample pack. It's very important that you don't miss a day or stop while waiting for a prescription to be ordered, especially in the beginning.

I really hope it helps you out. Stay in touch and let me know how it goes.

Kim