ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 12-30-09, 07:06 PM

formychildren is on a distinguished road
Unhappy A system for remembering to take meds, scared right now, please help?

I take Adderall XR 20mg (generic form) in the morning and in the afternoon. My morning dose is fine, I don't forget but the afternoon pill sometimes gets forgotten or I take it but then an hour or two later I can't remember if I took it or not. It has only happen two other times but that was when I was able to count the bottle to know how many were left. Since that time, I haven't always taken both the pills each day so I have extra in the bottle and I can't tell if I took the afternoon pill today or not. Anyway, I didn't realize this until I took my "second" pill about 1/2 an hour ago. Then a few minutes after taking that I started to panic because I THINK I already took that second pill--- ugh. So now I might have an extra dose in me and I am scared. Should I go to the hospital? Should I call the pharamacy? I am scared... I am pretty sure that I did already take that second dose because I can feel it kicking in and am sure it's not the one I just took because that would be too soon for it to kick in. I am worried for nothing. I am scared...
Old 12-30-09, 07:14 PM

~~DayDreamer~~ has a spectacular aura about~~DayDreamer~~ has a spectacular aura about
Re: A system for remembering to take meds, scared right now, please help?

IDK, but I'd at least call the pharmacy or your dr!!
Old 12-30-09, 07:26 PM

Okay, called the dr and spoke to the receptionist, they left a message w/the dr, waiting for them to call back. I hung up and called the pharmacy and they said I will be fine. He said that it'll be like taking a new dose, maybe feel tired or anxious, depends on how I react, but he assured me that I'll be fine. I feel a bit better now. I can relax. Maybe I will be really tired like I was the first few wks when I began taking the meds...

Anyone have any advice for me so this doesn't happen to me again? I feel so stupid not to remember/forget to take that second dose. I am an adult but yet feel like I need a mom to keep track of it for me. ugh
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-09, 07:40 PM

~~DayDreamer~~ has a spectacular aura about~~DayDreamer~~ has a spectacular aura about

I'm glad you'll be okay!

When my kids are sick and I have to keep track of what time I gave them meds, I keep a piece of paper on the fridge with a magnet and write down the date & time of each dose for each child. Of course, part of the problem is remembering to write it down! lol But you can be trained!

Or, since you only struggle with the second dose, how about setting an alarm specific to that time of the afternoon? You could use an alarm watch or a clock or whatever works for you.
Old 12-30-09, 07:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,334 Times in 2,020 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have this issue with stimulants (one long-acting pill usually gets me through the better part of a day) but I have had similar issues with sleep meds.

The best method I've found is to count out the dose for each day (or week, if that works for you) into a pill case. If you put two pills in, then take one in the morning, you know that one pill left means you need to take your medication--if both pills are gone, you've already taken it.

Certainly, there's a bit of remembering involved, but generally if you establish a certain time of day to do it, it should work fine. Even if you just set aside one single pill when you take your morning dose, you can't really take extra doses unintentionally.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trishcan For This Useful Post:
mollymae76 (08-21-14), wsmac (01-01-10)
Old 12-30-09, 08:03 PM

Thanks everyone, so far the dr hasn't called back but it's been about an hour or so and I feel the same as any other day. So for so good.
I take two ER's one in the morning usually right when I wake up, w/breakfast but before my coffee. I take two XR's because they only last about 6 hours for me. My second usually is during my lunch break at work but I have been off of work for almost 2 wks so it's been more difficult w/my schedule and remember the meds. I think that I will do a pill box, but overall at work I don't forget my doses.
Thanks!
Old 12-30-09, 08:17 PM

Thanked 11,251 Times in 5,495 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

one of them blue boxes

youll be fine just grab a toothbrush and start scrubbing your house , take advantage of it
The Following User Says Thank You to daveddd For This Useful Post:
mollymae76 (08-21-14)
Old 12-31-09, 09:47 AM
ADDvanced Member

innaminute will become famous soon enough

I have one of those blue boxes. Only problem is I have no idea where it is

This happened to me a about 8 years ago when I was on an antidepressant. I knew that if I took the whole dose it would be more than the safe dosage. But, if I took half of it, I'd still be okay.

It happened to me the other day - wasn't sure if I took my 200mg Provigil, so I ended up taking one... Still not totally sure if I took one or two, but my focus sure was good.

What I've done in the past is this: If I can, cut the pill in half and take just half of it. Especially depending on the medication and the dosage. With the antidepressant I mentioned, if I took half a pill, I'd still be fine. But if I took the whole thing, I'd be above the safe dose. That way, I either had half the dosage, or was still at the safe dosing level.

Once (that same antidepressant) I took the whole pill and then like two minutes later made myself sick because I was totally freaked out that I may have taken the whole thing. I wanted more than anything to get that pill out of my body.

It's also happened with my anti-anxiety medication. I'll end up taking another pill because I know I'm still in the safe dose range.

Ah, good times, aren't they?

The only other suggestion that I have that I'm about to put in place, is to draw up a weekly chart on an index card, leave it and a pen in the cabinet where I keep my meds, and then check the box for the day and the med. Then you've got PROOF!

I'll post back how it works!
Old 01-01-10, 01:32 AM

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

40mg is a completely safe dose. You might see more side effects.

Consider getting a pill fob for a keychain, and putting a pill in it when you take your first dose. Then take the second dose from the fob. If there's no pill in the fob, you took it!
wsmac (01-01-10)
Old 01-01-10, 06:49 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,114 Times in 541 Posts
wsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud of

I'm another one for the pill container/box/dispenser whatever you want to call it.

I have seen ones with one box for each day, two or more boxes for each day.

I've just used the single row model with one box for each day.
I do like Trishcan suggests... put in two pills... if they are both there, then I need to take one
If only one pill is there, that's my second dose
IF none are there, I have taken everything I need to that day.

My only problem with that system came on the occasion I forgot to fill up the boxes at the beginning of my week.
I had to remember the next day not to fill up all the boxes, leaving yesterday's box empty.

=========
I know have a new diagnosis: Attention Difference Display / Happy Dance (ADD/HD)... I think it fits!
=========

Sometimes I worry that if I don't slow down... I'll run my batteries down and won't be able to recharge myself... powered down permanently at such a young age!
Old 01-04-10, 03:07 PM
Contributor

andyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to allandyum is a name known to all

I bought a watch that has multiple alarms that I can set to remind me to take my meds. Works for me.