ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-09, 01:22 PM
Jr Member

Mikaylas_Mommy will become famous soon enough
Question My daughter has what?!?!

Well the headline says it all lol. My name is Kristy I am a mother of a darling 7 year old named Mikayla. Last month I had a parent teacher conference with Mikayla's teacher due to her failing 1 subject which was math. I never thought he would suggest that she has ADD/ADHD, She excels in every other subject in fact has a perfect 100 on report cards in reading. Mikayla is not a hyperactive child, she likes to talk a lot but most kids do. She minds and has never had behavioral problems at home or at school. The teacher stated Mikayla knew how to do math , her problem was not paying attention to details or spacing out in class. He said he gave her a math worksheet on Monday and she made a 100 then on Tuesday just to see what would happen gave her the SAME worksheet and she made a 40. Well I wanted to cry when he suggested that my child had a learning disability (excuse the term but thats how everyone perceived it). I had cousins when I was younger that had ADD/ADHD and they were horrible rambunctious little kids always in trouble, I simply thought they needed to get their butts beat!. Well then their mothers started them on medicine and they were "doped up" all the time, they didn't wanna play or do anything just lay around. They failed in school and ended up dropping out, so in my horror I was thinking not my darling baby girl. I thought she is going to end up like my little cousins and do horribly in school and be "doped up" all the time. Well I made a appointment for the next day. I explained the situation to the doctor which asked a lot of questions, about her behavior and such. Then was given a form for the teacher to fill out and one for me. We followed up yesterday and the doctor confirmed that in fact it was inattentive. I did my research and realized the reasons my little cousins were so out of it was they were not on the correct dose of medicine or the wrong type all together. I also researched the diets and we followed them while waiting to hear from the doctor, and there was no improvement. So reading a couple of blogs and message boards and research from several websites, most said that Adderall was best for inattentive. Well I explained to the doctor if we were going to try medicines I would like to start off with the Adderal XR. So thats what we did, we started it yesterday morning at around 10am. Well yesterday was probably not a good day to start it as the results would be invalid, She started running a fever and like most kids when she has a fever she just wanted to lay around and not do anything. Well I gave her medicine for the fever and it went away and has not appeared again. The first dose was about 10 or so and around 11 she seemed to be very figity couldn't stop moving and was talking really fast. I was not sure if this was a side effect or if its just basically her body needs to get used to the medicine. Today she had her second dose, well a hour later she was talking really fast again. She took her medicine about 8am, had breakfast and has been laying in bed ever since. My child hates to lay in bed! On lazy days I would try to get her to nap and lay in bed with me and she wanted nothing to do with it, and now she has been laying in bed for the past couple of hours. She is on the lowest possible dose of Adderall XR thats 5mg once per day. I am thinking maybe she has insomnia from it too cause she woke up about 3am, after a drink of water I sent her back to bed.(rather she went to sleep or not I have no clue as we went back to bed too) So I am thinking maybe the medicine isn't going to work out for her, or maybe it just needs time to get in her system. I am not sure how long I am supposed to wait for that or when to see results. They are out of school due to the holidays right now so I wanted to get it right before school started. Sorry this is long its kinda my introduction and I need help with medicines!! lol Are these normal side effects? How long before she adjusts to the medicine? Also I was thinking that with Adderall and such thats supposed to calm the "hyperactive" form, wouldn't it make a inattentive tired? Mikayla is not hyperactive at all at most she talks too much lol. So I am not sure about the meds,I surely can't send her to school like this wanting to sleep all day. Anyways I am going to stop babbling now and hope for any advice or suggestions!
Old 12-31-09, 02:06 PM

badbrains will become famous soon enough
Re: My daughter has what?!?!

Hi Mom, Welcome to the board. One thing that I think you'll notice here is that we with ADD have a horrible time with reading longer posts especially if they're not broken down a bit I hope that your journey with Mikayla and what seems to be a meds issue works out for the best many of us here are traveling the same path looking for the same answers. Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to badbrains For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (01-01-10), RedHairedWitch (12-31-09)
Old 12-31-09, 02:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 23,962 Times in 11,087 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaylas_Mommy View Post
Well the headline says it all lol. My name is Kristy I am a mother of a darling 7 year old named Mikayla.

Last month I had a parent teacher conference with Mikayla's teacher due to her failing 1 subject which was math. I never thought he would suggest that she has ADD/ADHD, She excels in every other subject in fact has a perfect 100 on report cards in reading. Mikayla is not a hyperactive child, she likes to talk a lot but most kids do. She minds and has never had behavioral problems at home or at school.

The teacher stated Mikayla knew how to do math , her problem was not paying attention to details or spacing out in class. He said he gave her a math worksheet on Monday and she made a 100 then on Tuesday just to see what would happen gave her the SAME worksheet and she made a 40.

Well I wanted to cry when he suggested that my child had a learning disability (excuse the term but thats how everyone perceived it). I had cousins when I was younger that had ADD/ADHD and they were horrible rambunctious little kids always in trouble, I simply thought they needed to get their butts beat!. Well then their mothers started them on medicine and they were "doped up" all the time, they didn't wanna play or do anything just lay around. They failed in school and ended up dropping out, so in my horror I was thinking not my darling baby girl. I thought she is going to end up like my little cousins and do horribly in school and be "doped up" all the time.

Well I made a appointment for the next day. I explained the situation to the doctor which asked a lot of questions, about her behavior and such. Then was given a form for the teacher to fill out and one for me. We followed up yesterday and the doctor confirmed that in fact it was inattentive. I did my research and realized the reasons my little cousins were so out of it was they were not on the correct dose of medicine or the wrong type all together. I also researched the diets and we followed them while waiting to hear from the doctor, and there was no improvement.

So reading a couple of blogs and message boards and research from several websites, most said that Adderall was best for inattentive. Well I explained to the doctor if we were going to try medicines I would like to start off with the Adderal XR. So thats what we did, we started it yesterday morning at around 10am. Well yesterday was probably not a good day to start it as the results would be invalid, She started running a fever and like most kids when she has a fever she just wanted to lay around and not do anything.

Well I gave her medicine for the fever and it went away and has not appeared again. The first dose was about 10 or so and around 11 she seemed to be very figity couldn't stop moving and was talking really fast. I was not sure if this was a side effect or if its just basically her body needs to get used to the medicine. Today she had her second dose, well a hour later she was talking really fast again. She took her medicine about 8am, had breakfast and has been laying in bed ever since. My child hates to lay in bed! On lazy days I would try to get her to nap and lay in bed with me and she wanted nothing to do with it, and now she has been laying in bed for the past couple of hours.

She is on the lowest possible dose of Adderall XR thats 5mg once per day. I am thinking maybe she has insomnia from it too cause she woke up about 3am, after a drink of water I sent her back to bed.(rather she went to sleep or not I have no clue as we went back to bed too) So I am thinking maybe the medicine isn't going to work out for her, or maybe it just needs time to get in her system. I am not sure how long I am supposed to wait for that or when to see results. They are out of school due to the holidays right now so I wanted to get it right before school started.

Sorry this is long its kinda my introduction and I need help with medicines!! lol Are these normal side effects? How long before she adjusts to the medicine? Also I was thinking that with Adderall and such thats supposed to calm the "hyperactive" form, wouldn't it make a inattentive tired? Mikayla is not hyperactive at all at most she talks too much lol. So I am not sure about the meds,I surely can't send her to school like this wanting to sleep all day. Anyways I am going to stop babbling now and hope for any advice or suggestions!
I don't have much experience with meds - my granddaughter takes Concerta and hasn't had any similar side effects with that. She is more hyperactive than inattentive, but we've seen similar things with work and tests where she may ace it one day and fail it the next week - same basic work. She's generally done that across the board until this year, sixth grade middle school, where she is getting A's in every subject except one.

She's even getting A's in math, which has always been more difficult for her. But she's failing an English class which she's always done well in.
We think probably this teacher gives more homework and our kiddo is still struggling with being organized and turning in the homework, even forgetting to do some of it.

We just started the youngest granddaughter on Risperdone to treat her Anxiety disorder (she's Autistic) and it's also making her fall asleep after lunch. She's been taking it for about three weeks and still falls asleep, and school starts back up next week, so the doctor may have to give a different medication a trial.

My hubby's nephew was diagnosed with ADHD back in the late 80's and his meds also turned him into a zombie. There are a lot more options in medication these days, so please don't think your daughter has to be either a non-stop talker or a zombie. It just takes some experimentation to find the right med at the right dosage.

I'm primarily Inattentive ADHD myself and I've found Omega 3 (fish oil) to be really helpful. Have you considered any supplements?

I'm one of those who finds it impossible to read a Wall-O-Text. Please don't change your writing style or worry about editing as you go - just take a minute when you finish to add some paragraph breaks and some spaces between the paragraphs to make it easier to read and assimilate, please.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
badbrains (12-31-09), Mikaylas_Mommy (01-02-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-09, 02:55 PM
Jr Member

We tried the fish oil.....when we left the parent teacher conference I came home and started googling lol and seen that it helped......We did the diet and fish oil for 2-3 weeks while waiting for the dr to diagnose.....neither helped.......

I do not mind the talking a lot or anything at all this is why I was shocked when the teacher suggested that she had ADD because she is not a hyper child......which at that point I thought the only form was hyperactivity but now I know better.....

I would have to agree that she does have the inattentive but I am not so sure that the medicines are the best thing due to they are not overly hyper.....

Mikayla is the kid that is happy sitting and watching movies or playing video games or on the computer......of course we don't let her do it but if it were up to her she would be a couch potato! But then again when I read online most inattentives said the adderall worked for them so maybe it just takes time.
Officially Diagnosed With Inattentive 12/30/2009
Adderall XR 5mg Once A Day 12/30/2009
01/04/2010 switched to vtvanse 30mg
ADD Daughter...ADHD Husband
The Following User Says Thank You to Mikaylas_Mommy For This Useful Post:
badbrains (12-31-09)
Old 12-31-09, 03:39 PM

Much more betterer I too was a quiet child happy to just be. Was often reffered to as a carefree and happy little boy, and I was, that didn't mean that I wasn't about to be introduced to a world that was often rejecting or intolerant of the way that I thought and learned.

Appearances aren't always the best judge. Talk to her and see what kind of struggles she has and how she sees the world how her thoughts work. It may be tough to get solid answers at age seven but my guess is that as you study and talk you will see patterns forming if she is indeed ADD.

And if she is be happy for her because even though she is going to possibly have a tougher time with fitting in as many of us do, she also will have all the many wonderful benefits which come from ADD.

I am happy to be me and if ADD is a part of me than so be it.
The Following User Says Thank You to badbrains For This Useful Post:
Mikaylas_Mommy (01-02-10)
Old 12-31-09, 04:27 PM
Jr Member

I am happy to be me and if ADD is a part of me than so be it.[/quote]

My husband tends to agree with there are advantages of having ADD he excelled in school due to hyper focusing......He never took medication because his mom wouldn't allow it, but he said he would of probably rather taken it then to try and deal with it on his own.......He said he would be reading a book for school and just pace and walk in circles in order to complete homework.....

Or the fact if he was bored with a subject he would simply not pay attention or make and play paper football in class but was very smart and would ace a test just never completed class assignments......But he seems to think that most ADDers ( I don't like that term but its shorter to use lol makes me think of drug addicts when I say it no clue why lol) are very smart and have a unique mind which I find true but its my husband and daughter so I could just be tooting my own horn!

My daughter has a habit of hearing something and acting like way....for example when she was 4 she had cat scratch fever(yes its a real medical condition lol)......well she ran a really high fever of 105 as we were in the hospital room she had hallucination......She totally freaked out and screamed until I carried her out of the room and if attempted to go back in the room she would scream.....This was the one and only time it has ever happened to her.....but my mother brought up the subject about her hallucinating due to the high fever and well......the next time Mikayla got sick she faked having hallucinations.....

She was in the parent/teacher conference and heard the teacher explaining her spacing out....and suggesting that she had ADD.....Well Mikayla heard all the talk about it and started acting the symptoms to the extreme....We were sitting in the library and she started pretending to follow the ceiling fan or hanging objects and such......I have known my child for her whole life and knew it was typical of her and later she admitted to faking it.....

So with that being said I am not sure rather the symtoms are something that are in fact happening to her or if it is something that she heard me talking to the doctor or pharmacist about.....I do believe there are symptoms just not sure which ones are true this early on.....I do know dry mouth I can tell that.....her lips are dry and her tongue is like sand paper and she wants nothing but water to drink.....taste has changed too..... she tried to eat french fries and thought they were way too salty when they were perfectly fine.......

I guess we will see in a week if Adderall is the medication for her or not!
Old 12-31-09, 05:36 PM

Diggin the multi colors btw
The Following User Says Thank You to badbrains For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-09, 05:57 PM
Jr Member

lol figured it would help with ADDers......My daughter doesn't have the issue with reading long passages.....She loves reading but I am assuming thats because it isn't boring to her its always a different story or different subject.....but with math its the same numbers over and over again! She is in 2nd grade and reading novels and autobiography's not fairy tales like most 7 year olds.
Old 12-31-09, 06:29 PM
ADDvanced Member

whorton will become famous soon enough

My son has ADHD. I would call your child's doctor office ASAP and let the doctor know of the personality and behavioral changes you have seen in your daughter. Remember there are several different medications now that are used for ADD/ADHD.

My son was first put on Strattera to try and control his ADHD. He was experiencing both emotional and behavioral issues. The Strattera worked for him to control hies emotional outburst but not his focus issues.

The doctors next add Adderall that was like give a 5 year 2 mountain dews adn letting him loose. He was a bundle of nothing but pure energy and he would not eat. We had him on the Adderall for about 3 days before we stopped that.

They then tried Concerta which is methylphenidate AKA (Ritalin) type of medication just a different formulation of the active ingredient in a sustained release format.

Concerta worked for my son but it took about 3 months to get the dosing of the medication correct because everyone body chemistry reacts differently to these medications.

To us ADDer's the medication allows us to focus and calms our racing minds down.

Were in NT's it would just speed up your systems.

Just hang in there it will take time but your daughter we be fine. You just need to her advocate and inform the doctor's of any changing in her behavioral patterns.

I also try to get a note from my son's teacher when we go in for a medication refill just so the doctor can get another persons prospective on how effect the medication it for my son.

Hopefully this helps.
Old 12-31-09, 06:59 PM
Jr Member

ElfMusic will become famous soon enough

"Also I was thinking that with Adderall and such thats supposed to calm the "hyperactive" form, wouldn't it make a inattentive tired? Mikayla is not hyperactive at all at most she talks too much lol."

This is a common misperception about ADHD meds- that for some reason stimulants have an opposite effect on children. What it does (or should do, if you can find the right medication and dosage) is stimulate the portions of the brain involved with executive function- the driver of the vehicle- to be able to organize and order the functions of the rest of the brain. So it takes more mental energy for a child with mixed (Hyperactive) ADHD to sit still than it does to bounce around the room; It takes more energy for an Inattentive to process all of the information coming in around them than to create another world in his/her head.

So Adderall shouldn't make an Inattentive tired. I would see if that persists after her fever and illness have passed. What I have noticed with myself and ADD friends is that many of us experience insomnia because it seems our brains aren't able to shift gears and go through the processes necessary to sleep until we are so exhausted we can barely move. At times a stimulant like coffee (I am on a non-stimulant ADD medication) can let my brain work enough to start shifting into sleep.

So although her medication might change sleep patterns, it's not because it's working as a "downer," as such, but because all her brain's parts are trying to be in sync with each other, which takes a while on new meds even at the right dosages. Adult ADDers who have been on stimulants like Adderall have told me that they felt ovestimulated by the meds for at least a week before it started to work right for them. It must be difficult adjusting dosages with someone so young.
The Following User Says Thank You to ElfMusic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-10, 05:49 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,210 Times in 12,814 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

wow! well maybe it's the wrong medication in the first place...?
Check out "dyscalcula", it's specific problems with math and numbers.

I'm sure you're surprised with all this but I wish i had known about inattentive ADD when I was young rather than at 40 yrs old!
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-10, 07:49 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
wow! well maybe it's the wrong medication in the first place...?
Check out "dyscalcula", it's specific problems with math and numbers.

I'm sure you're surprised with all this but I wish i had known about inattentive ADD when I was young rather than at 40 yrs old!

Thanks I checked out the link and, going by the symptoms listed I do not think she has Dyscalculia. She knows how to do the math with no problem, she can ace one test but fail the other the has the same material. We do flash cards and I make it fun for her and she spits the answers off with ease.

I did read some tips online such as highlighting the sign(= - / and x) to where it stands out. This is supposed to help a inattentive, with paying more attention to signs and such since they make common mistakes by simply adding when should be subtracting. I emailed her teacher about it, so that maybe we can do that with tests. I don't think its any form of cheating its just different colors on her worksheets, so that the it stands out for her. I even volenteered to come to the school and do this to all of her worksheets so that it didn't take up the teachers time. I even offered to buy any of the highlighters, or extra supplies that would possibly help her.

I am hoping he will be as helpful with this matter, but I think a lot of teachers just want to medicate the kids. When we had our parent/teacher conference I explained I would have her tested, but I was not sure about putting her on medication. The teachers aid replied with "well I don't see the need in testing if your not going to medicate her". Boy was I mad with that comment! I said "well theres other options to try, before simply throwing pills down your kids throat!" My daughter has never been in trouble at school, or disruptive in the classroom so its not like she is taking up class time for a teacher to want her to be medicated.

I think I am going to give the medication until Monday, when the doctors office opens back up. If she has not adjusted by then, it clearly is the wrong medication. You can read my blog for all the side effects, or issues she is having if you want.

Thanks everyone for help and advice and links....The more I learn the better prepared I am for this journey!
Old 01-01-10, 01:13 PM

Thanked 23,962 Times in 11,087 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Thanks I checked out the link and, going by the symptoms listed I do not think she has Dyscalculia. She knows how to do the math with no problem, she can ace one test but fail the other the has the same material. We do flash cards and I make it fun for her and she spits the answers off with ease.

I did read some tips online such as highlighting the sign(= - / and x) to where it stands out. This is supposed to help a inattentive, with paying more attention to signs and such since they make common mistakes by simply adding when should be subtracting. I emailed her teacher about it, so that maybe we can do that with tests. I don't think its any form of cheating its just different colors on her worksheets, so that the it stands out for her. I even volenteered to come to the school and do this to all of her worksheets so that it didn't take up the teachers time. I even offered to buy any of the highlighters, or extra supplies that would possibly help her.

I am hoping he will be as helpful with this matter, but I think a lot of teachers just want to medicate the kids. When we had our parent/teacher conference I explained I would have her tested, but I was not sure about putting her on medication. The teachers aid replied with "well I don't see the need in testing if your not going to medicate her". Boy was I mad with that comment! I said "well theres other options to try, before simply throwing pills down your kids throat!" My daughter has never been in trouble at school, or disruptive in the classroom so its not like she is taking up class time for a teacher to want her to be medicated.

I think I am going to give the medication until Monday, when the doctors office opens back up. If she has not adjusted by then, it clearly is the wrong medication. You can read my blog for all the side effects, or issues she is having if you want.

Thanks everyone for help and advice and links....The more I learn the better prepared I am for this journey!
Sounds like your daughter's teacher is as ignorant - and uncaring - as the one my granddaughter had last year in 1st grade. She knew absolutely nothing about Autism and freely admitted it. So it's as much the IEP team and the principle at fault as it was the teacher.

Speaking of which ... have you asked for an IEP for your daughter? That's where you can discuss things like using a highlighter to help her. Some of the counselors at school might have other helpful ideas too. And once it's in her IEP, the teacher has to do it.

IEP = Individual Education Plan

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-10, 01:54 PM

Thanked 3,790 Times in 1,932 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I do not mind the talking a lot or anything at all this is why I was shocked when the teacher suggested that she had ADD because she is not a hyper child......which at that point I thought the only form was hyperactivity but now I know better.....
Talking a lot is a form of hyperactivity.

Phaedrus

The Following User Says Thank You to Imnapl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-10, 02:20 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

rickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nice

Hi Mikaylas_Mom

I'm not going to say medicine is bad but I don't think medicatiuon as an immediate solution to your kids problem made sense. She had great marks in eveything else? Why not focus on why she is bored with math and what if any aspects of math she finds difficult.

You shouldn't have cried at the possibility you kid might have ADD; its far from the end of the world, even if some people don't understand it. Mostly, you should be proud you have a bright kid who has only problems in ONE subject.

I got a math degree and I apparently have unmedicated ADD without hyperactivity. Your kid could be me. I sucked at manual boring calculations and I still do. She had awesome grades in other subjects, she must be rather interested in. I can't tell you about meducation but it is only one approach. An alternative is to learn to channel her ADD to her advantage. I prefer the later but I'd didn't deal with my organization problems.

My suggestion is to talk to your kid. Ask her about what bores her with math!!! What does she understand? What doesn't she understand!!! She is only 7 and I assume you know 100% of what she is learning.

In addition, present it to her in a different visual way, if this is necessary. Getting a 100 percent on a test and then getting 40 indicates the test is boring her. Mindless memorization is boring You seem to have a bright kid. She probably can memorize but you might have to coach her alot and/or encourage her to do it to make it interesting. More important is mapping the mathematics to its meaning.

Here are some things I might suggest:
1) Examine the test. Does it involve any mapping of the math to reality? For example word problems? For some kids these are harder but they might in fact make the test more interesting for some. What
2) How much of the class is really relavant to her life? Does a summary of what is taught in class exist?

P.S. You post was kind of long in one huge chunk. Communication style seems to be important in dealing with ADD. Most of my tools have resolved around building good communication skills. Things that other people pick up naturally, we don't. Sometimes we have to be told. I'd immediately by a good book on effective communication. Active listening has improved my life a lot. Further more, your kid is naturally creative; she brains storms better than anybody. Getting her to learn to do that and use it to her advantage might be a great idea.