ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-02-10, 07:01 PM
ADDvanced Member

cinfid12 is on a distinguished road
Adderall and brain damage??

Is there any proof that adderall doesn't cause brain damage? I know there is proof that it does. I feel like now that I have been on adderall it is much harder to concentrate when I don't take it than it was before I ever took it. I honestly don't think many doctor know what they are talking about unless they have taken it themselves for at least a few years consistently. The doctors who say "no long term side affects" I think are full of BS. There is no way that taking a stimulant/speeding our bodies up constantly isn't bad for us. By the way I am a pre-med student, I've shadowed many doctors and worked with many medical professionals and have never heard the ones I know well > NOT my doctors say that adderall is a wise decision.

I'm in college now and I'm just afraid that I'm going to kick my self in the @$$ years from now. Yes my grades are better with adderall but I'm going to try to only take it when I'm studying rather than for in class.

Sorry for ranting Im just concerned anyone have any thoughts?

Anyone notice anything while off the meds differrent from when you started?
Old 01-02-10, 07:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

ZiggyFry has a spectacular aura aboutZiggyFry has a spectacular aura about
Re: Adderall and brain damage??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinfid12 View Post
Is there any proof that adderall doesn't cause brain damage? I know there is proof that it does.
Well it either does or it doesn't. If there is proof that it does (however reliable that information is) then there is no proof that it doesn't.

Sin.Ziggy.
Old 01-03-10, 09:56 AM
ADDvanced Member

Greenjuice is an unknown quantity at this point

There's always natural healing for the transition phase off your medicine, for when the time comes. I'd say you'd be "kicking your *****" later for not taking a medicine that aids you in getting what you want out of life. My father became a pharmacist then a doctor and he's as playful and knowledgeable as they come...all in thanks to dexadrane. Just remember our bodies, with the help of nutrition and exercise, will always balance back out.

We are all works in progress.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greenjuice For This Useful Post:
cinfid12 (01-04-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-10, 09:39 AM
ADDvanced Member

cinfid12 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I'm going to take it but only when necessary. Im just afraid of putting foreign chemicals into my body
Old 01-04-10, 12:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,384 Times in 3,281 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinfid12 View Post
Is there any proof that adderall doesn't cause brain damage? I know there is proof that it does. I feel like now that I have been on adderall it is much harder to concentrate when I don't take it than it was before I ever took it. I honestly don't think many doctor know what they are talking about unless they have taken it themselves for at least a few years consistently. The doctors who say "no long term side affects" I think are full of BS. There is no way that taking a stimulant/speeding our bodies up constantly isn't bad for us. By the way I am a pre-med student, I've shadowed many doctors and worked with many medical professionals and have never heard the ones I know well > NOT my doctors say that adderall is a wise decision.

I'm in college now and I'm just afraid that I'm going to kick my self in the @$$ years from now. Yes my grades are better with adderall but I'm going to try to only take it when I'm studying rather than for in class.

Sorry for ranting Im just concerned anyone have any thoughts?

Anyone notice anything while off the meds differrent from when you started?
Normally I would not get into the nature of science but you are premed and I thought it important.

First off, science does not "prove" anything in that it is inductive in nature and can only support or disprove. We cannot "prove" there are no long term effects but we can say we have not seen any of any significance in the 72 years of history on this type of medication when taken as directed.

I do not know of anyone who would say definitively that there are none. That would be a foolish statement that could not be backed up. It is an integral part of the nature of science to keep in focus the idea that new data could always be found that could cause changes in what we know. All scientific theories are works in progress...always.

Now having gone through all of that, what can be said is that there is a history of 52 years for Methylphenidate (Ritalin) and 72 years for Amphetamines (Adderol and similar medications). They are considered to be among the safest and most effective medications used for any mental disorder. Also the degree of improvement in symptom control is among the largest of any drug for any psychiatric disorder.

referance: I cited the source here.
http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...era#post822547

It is, as it should be, your choice to take or not take ADHD medications. It is a decision in which you have to weigh the advantages and disadvantages and make for yourself.

Do keep in mind that sometimes the negative effects of not taking the medication are greater than negative effects of taking it.

Research, think on it, and make the decision that is right for you.

Dizfriz