ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-05-10, 12:42 PM

carissa_lee will become famous soon enough
Adderall and cold medicine/decongestants?

I managed to catch an annoying little head/chest cold that has me all congested. Usually I just suck it up and wait for it to pass, because I don't like even taking medication unless I have to, but I am literally having to blow my nose every 5 minutes. Since I am at work, and I have a busy work day at that, I can't really stop every 5 minutes to blow my nose and wash my hands. I'll never get anything else done.

Can I take a decongestant of some sort? Will that have any effect with Adderall? Is there anything I should avoid? I rarely ever get sick so I have yet to "experiment" with any type of over the counter cold medications.
Old 01-05-10, 12:54 PM
ADDvanced Member

Greenjuice is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Adderall and cold medicine/decongestants?

If you have high blood pressure then stay away from ephedrine and get the phenylalanine substitute. I'd go that route.

We are all works in progress.
Old 01-05-10, 01:01 PM

No high bp. It's actually naturally on the low side. It's been so long since I've taken any OTC stuff... didn't the cold meds with ephedrine get banned or something?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-10, 01:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

Greenjuice is an unknown quantity at this point

No but they constrict blood vessels, inorder to stop the blood flow to mucus membranes for stopping the production of mucus. Adderall already does this, so its odd your congested..maybe from built up mucus at night..hmmm..anyway ask the pharmacist if you'll be okay with the ephedrine.

After the medication, get a netti pot or saline rinse bottle so you can keep your nasal membranes moist and clean of debri and bacteria.

We are all works in progress.
Old 01-05-10, 01:39 PM
Contributor

CalmTheChaos has a spectacular aura aboutCalmTheChaos has a spectacular aura about

You will be fine taking OTC cold/flu products. Just make sure you stay away from anything with Pseudoephedrine HCL. Typically, these are labeled as the "D" version (but not always, so just check the ingredients).

Mucinex works great for congestion, drainage, and mucus. It contains Guaifenesin. They also make Mucinex DM, which has Guaifenesin + Dextromethorphan HBr as a cough suppressant, if you have a cough too. Both of these ingredients are fine with stimulant meds.

As always, the pharmacist can give you tips on any products and their interactions.

Hope you feel better soon!
Old 01-05-10, 02:49 PM

When I originally posted I had yet to take my Adderall because I didn't want to mix. It seems to have helped some with the congestion, but not a lot. I think it is from exactly what you mentioned, though, the build up overnight. I know it woke me up numerous times overnight, trying to breath through my nose and not being able to do so. I can't take the meds that make me drowsy at night time to help my congestion. I have difficulty waking to my alarm as it is. Adding something that knocks me out only makes it more difficult.

I now notice this irritating little tickle in the back of my throat, though... I go to cough, because it feels like I should, but all that comes out is this pathetic little "eh" that I wouldn't consider a cough. I just hope that isn't a prequel to a nasty cough in a few days! Yesterday I actually had high hopes the cold had passed through the weekend, after 3 days straight of sleeping through the beginning of the new year. Guess not.

Thank you both for the help. I will definetely look for what was mentioned and stay away from what was mentioned also.
Old 01-05-10, 05:40 PM

Chaotica has disabled reputation

I'm not sure about Mucinex, but my sons doctor had told us not to give him any of the regular decongestants while he was on Adderall. Instead, we should try the one(s?) specific for people with high blood pressure (for the life of me, I cannot remember the name, but I found it right with all of the typical cold meds at the pharmacy). He doesn't have high BP to begin with (neither do I...mine also tends to run low), but I've taken the advice for both of us...just in case.
Old 01-05-10, 06:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,300 Times in 1,320 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

I take pseudoephedrine and Adderall at the same time. Then again, I also smoke and drink caffeine, so my heart is probably going to explode.

Look for Sudafed PE. It contains phenylephrine instead of Sudafed, so it'll be less likely to blow your heart up.

Mucinex (guaifenesin) is an expectorant. It will help you with productive coughs if your lungs are full of ****, but won't do anything for nasal decongestion.
Old 01-05-10, 08:36 PM

Thanked 4,331 Times in 2,019 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a pharmacist tell me that it was perfectly appropriate to take sudafed and amphetamine medication at the same time. A rise in blood pressure would be the biggest concern, it seems.
Old 12-16-13, 06:51 PM
Jr Member

OrendaQuest is on a distinguished road

I was told to avoid MAO's. I almost always had to take Pseudoephedrine when I got sick and/or had a sinus infection before I started taking Adderall, it was the only thing that would work because I have a deviated septum from having my nose broken a few times. I was told not to take it now. I have been doing a LOT better with my sinuses since taking the Adderall! I just got a cold though and I can feel my sinuses trying to gear up to get a sinus infection. I guess I will have to go get antibiotics after I get sick since I am not supposed to take anything that would work. I was also told no Nyquil! I do not know how that is going to work! Nyquil is my best friend when I am sick! If anyone has any advice I would LOVE to hear it! I have abnormally LOW BP! To the point where there are meds that I can not take because they might lower it more. I am feelling pretty miserable right now.
Old 12-16-13, 08:31 PM

Nate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud ofNate W has much to be proud of

Amphetamines act as decongestants. It is the vasso-constricting action that does this (and causes cold extremities). Pseudoephedrine works the same way and is a sympothetic amine (as is amphetamine). I notice I get stuffy when my dextroamphetamine wears off. I don't know if you build a tolerance to the decongestant effects or not.

Pseudoephedrine is more noradreanalin/adreanalin specific, so it may clear up your sinuses better than Adderall.

--Nate
Old 12-17-13, 04:34 AM

Thanked 14,989 Times in 6,777 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

When I am that sick it wouldnt matter if I took my adderall or not, i woud still be f**ked so I dont bother.

AND **bleep off**

I carried a watermelon?
Old 12-17-13, 08:17 AM
Forum Guru

purpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud of

Me too. skipped meds most of this weekend because I was sick and why waste perfectly good c-ii meds. For congestion, I used prescription steroid nasal spray so I could breathe well during sleep. It would have been OK to use the nasal spray with stimulants.

If life was like the Walking Dead then stupid people are like the zombies. They eat your face and slowly walk all over the place and get in your way.

--sarahsweets

I'm oblivious.
Old 12-17-13, 02:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

Allegra113 will become famous soon enough

I feel like Im dying today, but have had to choose....I have 3 important meetings and cannot breathe, hear, or speak. I had to choose the Adderall because of the IEPs. We only have 4 school days left this year and I need them locked. If this were any other profession, I think I would have taken a sick day!

I cannot wait until 3pm to take some real meds. My cough drops are not working for $***!

Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude. ~Ralph Marston

Grab your greatness. ~Lakey Peterson