ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 01-05-10, 06:29 PM
Contributor

stealthology is on a distinguished road
Can you concentrate on work listening to music?

Do ADD-I types generally do well with listening to music while doing work, or no?

I usually need the music off or I can't focus 100% on the work. What about everyone else?
Old 01-05-10, 06:35 PM

Chaotica has disabled reputation
Re: Can you concentrate on work listening to music?

I need the music off when I do school work. I know some people focus better with it, but I'm definitely not one of them...
Old 01-05-10, 09:52 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

rickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotica View Post
I need the music off when I do school work. I know some people focus better with it, but I'm definitely not one of them...
No. If I have music, my mind will wonder off listening to the lyrics and sometimes I will get a drug like high.

Music at work and even sometimes when I'm shopping is "noise pollution to me", depending on the music and what I'm doing.

So, I think, I'm like you in this respect.

To focus, headphones help although some of it is the psychology of having head phones on.

Music? I won't get work done.

To relax and sleep? Music is great.
Old 01-05-10, 09:53 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

JollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to all

I always needed music off when I was studying, doing homework, working on a paper/project, etc. The thing is, I really LOVE music of all types, but if I tried listening while I was working on an assignment, I'd zone out, start daydreaming (especially if listening to classical or an instrumental soundtrack).

Regardless of what other people say,
my tendency to overreact
and lose all perspective makes me a
theatrically interesting person.

Old 01-05-10, 11:15 PM
ADDvanced Member

musicpainter will become famous soon enough

I'm the opposite. I need the music on to help me concentrate. I find that if I don't have that on for half my brain to focus on while the other half works, my whole brain day dreams with silence. It's like I need to multitask in that sense to get anything done. (I don't really know how to explain what I'm trying to say so hopefully it makes some sort of sense)

I cannot work in silence. There is too much distraction. Too many ambient noises or things that catch my ears' attention. With the music I tune in to that part but the rest of my mind is then free to work on something. With silence I get nothing done. My brain has too much freedom to wander without something in the background for it to focus in on.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to musicpainter For This Useful Post:
Andenia (01-14-10), BudalaADDzena (01-24-10), RottweilerMom (02-03-10)
Old 01-06-10, 10:42 AM

Megs has a spectacular aura aboutMegs has a spectacular aura about

I don't really know... If I am writing a paper or doing something very focused, I don't turn it on because I will ignore it anyways. I find music helps with mundane tasks at work... sometimes I need to sit in from of a computer and do long repetitive tasks, the music keeps me from needing to go do something else.
Old 01-06-10, 11:40 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,622 Times in 803 Posts
Michiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichiko74 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe classical music, but I think overall I tend to better without any kind of music.
Old 01-06-10, 12:53 PM

badbrains will become famous soon enough

No music for me either. I love music and listen to it as much as I can but if concentration is required I cant have it on.
Old 01-06-10, 01:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

lostsoul has a spectacular aura aboutlostsoul has a spectacular aura about

Can someone suggest classical music? I find there is a wide variety and I'd prefer something not as colourful.
Old 01-06-10, 02:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

noodlzzz will become famous soon enough

If it's a silent room then no, however if there is a bit of noise or lots then yes I do need music. Alot easier with only one thing to get distracted by rather than 20.
Old 01-06-10, 04:10 PM
Contributor

NoReally is a glorious beacon of lightNoReally is a glorious beacon of lightNoReally is a glorious beacon of lightNoReally is a glorious beacon of lightNoReally is a glorious beacon of lightNoReally is a glorious beacon of light

It usually helps me to listen to music. I get way more housecleaning done with music playing. At my current jobs, I can't for various reasons. But at a previous job where I did a lot of number crunching and didn't have to answer phones, I would always put on headphones and play CDs during big projects. It's energizing. And seems to give my mind something to wander to, rather than going in 20 different directions.
Old 01-06-10, 04:18 PM

Phenix will become famous soon enough

Music, people talking, even the wind outside is distracting for me and I can't work. TV is the worst. I can't even have a conversation if there is a TV on in the room, at least not a focused one.

If, however, I am hyperfocused, then a bomb could go off and I wouldn't notice it.
Old 01-06-10, 05:00 PM
can't remember diddly

Thanked 6,055 Times in 3,094 Posts
EYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond reputeEYEFORGOT has a reputation beyond repute

Music is needed for doing dishes and cleaning in general. Otherwise I'm bored and it goes much too slow for me. I look for any reason to stop and do something else. Put on my showtunes and I'm dancing and singing while doing it. Lost in my own little world helps it go faster.

I like it while driving, but if I get caught up in it I could have an accident.

On the computer I like the television going.

To sleep I need white-noise, a fan is a must. Also while reading, etc, or it's too quiet. Music in these cases is very, very distracting to the point of annoyance...like a bug in my ear.

Guess I'm a bit sensitive.
Old 01-07-10, 01:29 AM
Contributor

mike91163 is a jewel in the roughmike91163 is a jewel in the roughmike91163 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicpainter View Post
I'm the opposite. I need the music on to help me concentrate. I find that if I don't have that on for half my brain to focus on while the other half works, my whole brain day dreams with silence. It's like I need to multitask in that sense to get anything done. (I don't really know how to explain what I'm trying to say so hopefully it makes some sort of sense)

I cannot work in silence. There is too much distraction. Too many ambient noises or things that catch my ears' attention. With the music I tune in to that part but the rest of my mind is then free to work on something. With silence I get nothing done. My brain has too much freedom to wander without something in the background for it to focus in on.
I'm with ya 100%! TV, no good...I'm focusing too damn much on what they're saying. Me, I'll put on some Steely Dan, Joe Satriani, Rush, some good electric blues, big band, and THEN I can get things accomplished.
Old 01-07-10, 03:14 PM
Contributor

ditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud ofditzydreamer has much to be proud of

It depends on what the Work is. Music definitely helps me get housework done, it's like I'm on automatic pilot and not 'really there'. I usually feel quite energized. Yapping on the phone gets my housework done too...I can't sit still when there is music. It takes me away...

I always had to have complete silence for schoolwork though, or tasks requiring actual thinking and concentration. Any noise at all I find completely distracting and irritating. Probably explains why I hardly ever got work done in the classroom and had mountains of homework every night.

I set up my 11 year old daughter's bedroom to have a desk, where she could work in silence...and she "can't". She has to be listening to music or watching tv, according to her. She is a top student and I can't argue with her study habits because it seems to work for her. My second daughter (9) needs more peace and quiet in order to concentrate, and even then has a great deal of difficulty.
They both "must" listen to music to get to sleep or they are up for hours after bedtime. I have to have a fan or other "white noise" when falling asleep or every sound in the house keeps me awake.