ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-10-10, 06:12 PM

SydneyBristow is on a distinguished road
Does anyone order Adderall through Mail Order?

I just started taking Adderall XR and I think I've found the right dosage (40mg), so I want to try to get it thru mail order so that I don't have to get a refill every month.

I already use Walgreens so I want to use Walgreens.com for the mail order prescription. I have CatalystRx as insurance.

Has anyone had any problems with mail order prescriptions since Adderall is a controlled substance? You have to send in the actual prescription, instead of just having your doctor fax it in?

Any info in appreciated!
Old 01-10-10, 09:21 PM

SilentCat will become famous soon enough
Re: Does anyone order Adderall through Mail Order?

Hello, Sydney...

Essentially all AD/HD neurostimulants are classified as C-II under the U.S. Controlled Substances Act. C-II is the most heavily restricted class of prescribable meds (C-I exists, but is a category of substances deemed by the U.S. DEA -- rightly or wrongly -- to have no medical usefulness whatsoever. Under virtually all circumstances, C-I substances are prohibited from being prescribed at all.)

C-II, also called "Schedule II" (it's a Roman numeral, thus would be read as "C-2" or "Schedule 2") prescriptions are subject to far more stringent controls and record-keeping requirements for both doctors and pharmacies than the requirements which apply to C-III, C-IV, and C-V.

In addition, with mail-order pharmacies it can become somewhat complicated because you're dealing not only with U.S. Federal drug control law, but also the drug control laws of the state you (and presumably, your doctor) are located, as well as the state laws applying to the state in which the particular mail-order pharmacy is located. Believe me, it can get confusing.

But the basic rules are that there is no federal prohibition on mail-ordering C-II medications. However, C-II prescriptions may not be FAXed to the pharmacy (unlike C-III, IV and V, which allow FAXed prescriptions.)

International importing is also strictly prohibited (can't have 'em shipped in from Canada, etc. -- not without breaking some serious laws, at least.)

In terms of how many days' supply of a C-II med may be 1) prescribed by a doctor, and 2) dispensed by a pharmacy, that also depends on both Federal and applicable state(s) law(s). At the end of 2007, the DEA enacted some modifications in federal policy (which, for all intents and purposes, used to be that C-II prescriptions weren't to be written or filled for anything more than a single 30-day supply -- period.) That's been changed, but the wording's a bit confusing. Here's the link to the DEA's comments and discussion of the 30-day vs. 90-day supply issue, and the reasoning behind the changes they chose to make:

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/fe...007/fr1119.htm

Now, just as before, C-II prescriptions may not be written with refills, though the wording of the recent changes create some rather creative (or, depending on your point of view, just plain silly), er... "workarounds..." in that policy. You'll see what I mean when you read the DEA information. But at the same time, I've had out-of-state mail-order pharmacies tell me on the phone that they would be more than happy to fill a single 90-day C-II prescription for me, if my doctor elected to write one -- my intuitive impression, though, is that most M.D.'s won't write for 90 days on a C-II med, since the DEA is also looking over their shoulders. But as I said, it all really does become rather confusing.)

Some states allow 90-day fills, others don't. Offhand, I don't know what California's story is -- nor do I know to which state's laws apply to Walgreens.com. Both of those bits of information should be easily obtainable either by phone inquiry or via a little targeted web searching.

Another state-to-state variable is how many days after the date shown on the prescription the patient has to get the hard copy into the pharmacy's hands, before the pharmacy considers it "expired", and thus null and void. For example, a mail-order pharmacy in Alabama told me they had to receive the script within 7 days (!) of the date it was written. Pennsylvania, 30 days. (30 days seems to be more common for C-II scripts. If I recall correctly, most other prescriptions for "less" controlled medications expire six months after they're written -- but they also allow for refills, may be FAXed in, etc.)

If you have other questions, Sydney, just let me know... Good luck, on your mission!

Regards,
--SilentCat
Clarke corrected him: "Chief Geek... Geeks get it done. Nerds don't."

"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called Research."
A. Einstein
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SilentCat For This Useful Post:
Louder Than Love (09-16-14), SydneyBristow (01-11-10)
Old 01-13-10, 01:41 AM

greylochdruid will become famous soon enough

I had been taking the generic XR and I got mine mail order from United Health Care/Medco. I just had to physically mail it in is all. I got 90 day supply. No problems whatsoever.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-10, 08:43 AM

twofast2s is on a distinguished road

i had medco for past couple of years through a compnay that i worked for and they required me to do mail-order for long term medication. In the state i'm in, i'm only allowed to get 60days of XR. I did have to send in my prescription every time.

however, i recently changed to CVS/Caremark and because they do not require mail-order for long term Rx, they will not ship out more than 30 days even though the Rx was for 60days. i'm trying to figure out if this is in fact true. my PCP is about an hour away and it's a hassle.
Old 01-20-10, 09:31 AM
Modulated

Thanked 6,893 Times in 2,971 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofast2s View Post
they will not ship out more than 30 days even though the Rx was for 60days. i'm trying to figure out if this is in fact true. my PCP is about an hour away and it's a hassle.
Explain this to you doctor over the phone and ask your doctor to write 2 scrips dated a month apart or ask the office to mail you the second prescription. HTH

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
Old 11-06-12, 12:58 PM

coryphaena is on a distinguished road

I've been trying to figure out the laws regarding Adderall rx in Alabama for more than a year. I have been seeing a Dr. who requires me to see him once a month ($125, cash out of my pocket, takes about two hours) in order to get another 30 days of it. The stuff is expensive enough to begin with, and adding $125 every month sucks. This doc tells me it's a law, but I can't believe it's true. Is this guy just trying to squeeze money out of me, and where can I find out the actual laws in Alabama?
Old 06-05-13, 09:01 PM
Jr Member

Peggy576 is a jewel in the roughPeggy576 is a jewel in the roughPeggy576 is a jewel in the rough

I am in VA and have been able to get a 4 month supply this way. I first established with my physician that I handle C2 medications responsibly. It is based on trust and I am blessed to have found a physician that is caring and hasn't been betrayed by abusive patients. 2 Rx dated a month apart are written and I make each one last 2 months apiece. Good luck, be truthful and trustworthy. Abusive clients have made it very difficult for people who need the medicine. My ADHD treatment was delayed for many years because of this.
Old 09-13-14, 03:29 PM

orangello is on a distinguished road

Bumping this old thread. I'm on Dex, which is similar to Adderall. My insurance is setup such that after the first two prescriptions, if you're going to continue with a med ongoing, it has to be done through mail order.

My doctor has said he'd be willing to write a prescription for a 3month supply, but I just found out that apparently the mail order will only send 30 day supplies at a time. Is it common for doctors to get around this by writing 3 scripts, one with the current date, and the other two of them post-dated (IE: Oct 1, Nov1, Dec 1) to be mailed by me when the times arrive?

I'm looking above at posts #5 and #7 which are essentially suggesting that.

(I have an email into my doctor, but he takes a while to write back, so I'll post the question here too)
Old 09-13-14, 03:43 PM
supermoderator

Thanked 23,014 Times in 10,355 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

Some people's doctor will write three prescriptions for thirty days each. In California, or my pharmacy at least, you must present valid photo ID and sign a drug log to receive schedule II prescriptions, so I can't have them sent through the mail. Everything else could be though.

I'm shocked at those who are able to receive them through the mail from a legitimate pharmacy. I think your doctor, since that's done in your state, or someone else from your area (since things can vary by state) will have encountered this insurance glitch before and be best able to help you sort it.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
orangello (09-13-14)
Old 09-14-14, 11:58 AM
mADDhatterator

Laserbeak is a jewel in the roughLaserbeak is a jewel in the roughLaserbeak is a jewel in the rough

Unless something has changed recently, you can order Schedule iI drugs from mail order pharmacies, but you have to send them the paper prescription and with the mail times back and forth and their processing time, it's not very practical you may go periods without meds due to problems with timing of getting them. I have never done this with Schedule II drugs, but I've done it with Schedule IV drugs, and it's basically the same issues, but the doctors are more likely to give you 90 day prescriptions which helps.

If you have insurance, which I have now, you shouldn't have to worry about it though, the only reason to get them filled through mail order pharmacies is that they can be much cheaper cash price, but you can also usually find a cheap pharmacy local to you such as Walmart, Target, Sam's Club, Costco, K-mart, etc.
Old 09-16-14, 12:27 AM
Jr Member

NeedDirection has a spectacular aura aboutNeedDirection has a spectacular aura about

I tried this with medco in 2005 by mailing in a written script. I called after a month wondering what was up. The response was they lost my prescription. I called and called to no avail. They never filled it. My doctor suggested doing this as he had other patients doing it in my state.

A few months after, I received the prescription in the mail with no letter or message/communication of what happened.

From that point, NFW was I going to try that again. Besides, it is illegal to have more than 1 months supply, per FDA. That is part of the "control" in the controlled substance process
Old 09-16-14, 12:59 AM
mADDhatterator

Laserbeak is a jewel in the roughLaserbeak is a jewel in the roughLaserbeak is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedDirection View Post
Besides, it is illegal to have more than 1 months supply, per FDA. That is part of the "control" in the controlled substance process
No, it's not. You can get 90-day prescriptions and if you have leftovers and then get a new refill on time, that doesn't make you a criminal.

edit:

Plus it's the DEA that makes such rules not the FDA. The DEA and Congress make such rules about scheduling drugs and how many can be dispensed at once etc The FDA only rules on whether a drug is safe and effective or not.

Congress has forced drugs to be scheduled against the wishes of the DEA, most notably anabolic steroids.
Old 09-16-14, 01:33 AM
Jr Member

NeedDirection has a spectacular aura aboutNeedDirection has a spectacular aura about

FDA is the food and drug administration. The DEA is within FDA. They are on the same "team".

It is certainly your choice to have 3 months worth of adderall. It is unlikely to be an issue unless you carry more than 1 months worth of it with you (like in the car/traveling and get searched)
Old 09-16-14, 01:40 AM
mADDhatterator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedDirection View Post
FDA is the food and drug administration. The DEA is within FDA. They are on the same "team".
No it is not, they are in completely different departments of the federal government. The FDA is part of the Department of Health and Human Services and the DEA is part of the Department of Justice.
Old 09-16-14, 01:53 AM
Jr Member

i stand corrected on the departments (FDA & DEA).