ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 01-13-10, 08:58 AM
Committee of One

Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,774 Posts
Retromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond reputeRetromancer has a reputation beyond repute
Question Life After Employment

Since ADDers are in the "last hired, first fired" category" the shape of the emerging economic landscape -- the "new normal" -- urgently needs to be discussed. It is time to get past the "it will all work out" denial. (FYI: The wonder drug of the day is totally irrelevant to this discussion.)

How are you surviving? What do you see in your future?

New Hiring May Bypass Long-Term Unemployed

By KATHLEEN MADIGAN

NEW YORK -- No matter whether Friday's job report shows a small loss or gain in December jobs, millions of unemployed workers will have difficulties finding work in 2010 because their former positions no longer exist.

As Bruce Springsteen sang, "These jobs are going boys, and they ain't coming back."

Structural employment may be a far bigger challenge to policymakers than turning around the economy. Workers laid off in a shrinking industry may not have the talents needed in an expanding sector. (Does a mortgage broker have the right skills and temperament to be a nurse?) And constrained federal and state budgets mean less money for education, so even those workers who can make the transition will be stymied to get the proper training.

The minutes of the Dec. 15-16 policy meeting show Federal Reserve officials were concerned about the need to reallocate labor across different sectors and the loss of skills among the long-term unemployed. These factors "could limit the pace of employment gains," said the Fed.

For individual households, long-term joblessness is devastating. For the economy, the loss of labor skills represents another wedge between actual and potential growth in output and income.

Certainly, labor markets are on the mend. New filings for jobless benefits came in at a better-than-expected 434,000 in the Jan. 2 week. But that only shows part of the story.

"Initial claims tell us something about pace of firing," says Dan Greenhaus of Miller Tabak, "continuing claims tell us something about the pace of hiring."

Reported continuing claims, however, have been skewed by the extremely long duration of unemployment in this recession (more than a third of the unemployed have been out of work for at least a half-year.) When these workers exhaust their state-provided checks, they fall off the benefit rolls.

Washington and some state governments have responded with additional help. Basic extended benefits provide up to 13 additional weeks of benefits (in some cases up to 20 weeks) when a state is experiencing high unemployment. And the federally funded emergency unemployment compensation program grants benefits up to another 20 weeks.

To better gauge unemployment, economists have begun to add up all three claims programs. There are variations to the calculations depending on seasonal adjustments and timing, but the numbers ranged between 10.2 million and 10.5 million in late December, up from about 7.2 million a year ago.

Many of those long-term unemployed won't find work even when payrolls grow again. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, more than two-thirds of those laid off saw their positions permanently ended (as opposed to those on temporary layoff until their employers' business picks up again).

That represents a permanent change in labor needs. Economic research has shown a structural labor shift could result in a situation of high unemployment at the same time as many businesses are seeking workers with specific skill sets.

Retraining programs could help many transition into new careers. But right now, Washington seems more interested in holding down spending than in providing more funds for education.

As a result, even when businesses start to hire again in 2010, permanent job losers may not possess the skills wanted by employers. They will remain unemployed longer, exerting a tremendous drag -- financially and psychologically -- on the consumer sector.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...591273944.html
-- Oscar Wilde
Old 01-13-10, 10:35 AM
Contributor

NickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Life After Employment

Some other 'reasons' weren't stated:

1) You have to be young & 'cute' to hired -- ugly people need not apply

2) Bad credit is a deal breaker

3) Any gaps in employment or unstable job history --- the ONLY way to get an interview is to lie. Figure you 'may' get fired later on, but if you are unemployed and have not had steady employment for the last few years you have zero chance if you are honest
Old 01-13-10, 05:08 PM
ADDvanced Member

atrain will become famous soon enough

You should never lie in an interview because they will find out eventually when they call your old employers. When your unemployed try volunteering and taking classes so their is no gaps in employment.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-10, 05:34 PM
Forum ADDvocate

xraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud of

My Hospital will let twenty people go tomorrow....
The posistions will not be filled, yet elliminated...
Patients will suffer...Longer wait times...

I am afraid this is just the beginning...

I am truly sorry for anyone dealing with this crisis...I see it daily and daily it gets worse...What as a society can be done...?
A LOT...I will keep my opinions silent, as political issues are not up for debate...

For those who must say goodbye...my heart is aching for you.

Old 01-13-10, 11:47 PM
Contributor

NickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of lightNickL30 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrain View Post
You should never lie in an interview because they will find out eventually when they call your old employers. When your unemployed try volunteering and taking classes so their is no gaps in employment.
They may or they may not. In the last few years with all the layoffs & such the old employer may no longer be around.

Many adults with ADHD have a unstable employment history including myself. The average corporate job is very ADHD unfriendly especially in the accounting & financial world.
Old 01-14-10, 02:01 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

JollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to allJollyBadger is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL30 View Post
They may or they may not. In the last few years with all the layoffs & such the old employer may no longer be around.

Many adults with ADHD have a unstable employment history including myself. The average corporate job is very ADHD unfriendly especially in the accounting & financial world.
And insurance.

(ask me how I know)

Regardless of what other people say,
my tendency to overreact
and lose all perspective makes me a
theatrically interesting person.