ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-10, 11:56 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

dude102 has a spectacular aura aboutdude102 has a spectacular aura about
Mood fluctuations, adhd or bipolar?

My mood fluctuates throughout the day... every couple of hours... its really annoying. I get lots of negative thoughts... then after getting distracted... I feel better.... this cycle repeats.

Is this Bipolar or ADHD?
Old 01-17-10, 12:01 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,092 Times in 420 Posts
Archon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Mood fluctuations, adhd or bipolar?

It's a bit of a false dichotomy since it doesn't necessarily have to be either. I would argue that it's not bipolar however, since the moods are so rapid cycling. ADHD would be a better fit as it sounds like you have difficulty regulating your mood.

The Following User Says Thank You to Archon For This Useful Post:
Kunga Dorji (01-18-10)
Old 01-17-10, 12:06 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,891 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

I sure can't tell you, but in my case, my moods would swing several times a month. Bipolar generally swings once or twice a year except for ultra-rapid cycling which is still far less frequent than what you have been experiencing.

Listen 2 me, I'm a doctah already! NOT

Anyway, Strattera (on top of Pristiq) has just smoothed my moods out. So I guess it was ADHD all along.

But really, rapid mood swings are so tiresome and so wearing, so please ask your doc when you can.

As for "lots of negative thoughts" try Cognitive therapy (self talk). I like Byron Katie's "the Work" just look her up on YouTube to see how her "4 questions and a turnaround" can be so powerful in disrupting negative self talk. And best of luck, really!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-10, 10:00 AM

Thanked 10,608 Times in 5,221 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

hmmm, never seen that listed as an adhd symptom

how far up and down do they go

pristiq works on areas of the brain other than adhd
The Following User Says Thank You to daveddd For This Useful Post:
meridian (01-18-10)
Old 01-18-10, 11:33 AM

meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
hmmm, never seen that listed as an adhd symptom

how far up and down do they go

pristiq works on areas of the brain other than adhd
Yeah, I have no clue. I'm just grateful for good results!

But I did read that symptoms can look similar in ADHD and BP and that diagnosing the difference can be a challenge. Also there are likely comorbidity issues for all of us with something.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Old 01-18-10, 11:36 AM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
Yeah, I have no clue. I'm just grateful for good results!

But I did read that symptoms can look similar in ADHD and BP and that diagnosing the difference can be a challenge. Also there are likely comorbidity issues for all of us with something.
yea especially depression

is that what your pristiq is for?

yea i think the key would be treating symptoms , instead of trying to trace back everything to adhd

treat the symptoms , call it what you want ,, right?

oh and not saying it is bipolar (im about as qualified to say that as i am to say its adhd) but this was posted in the bipolar section, and ruling out bipolar for frequency of fluctuation is bad information

adhd is not a mood disorder
The Following User Says Thank You to daveddd For This Useful Post:
meridian (01-18-10)
Old 01-18-10, 12:14 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Thanked 1,092 Times in 420 Posts
Archon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond reputeArchon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
ruling out bipolar for frequency of fluctuation is bad information
Actually I think you'll find that you can probably safely rule out bipolar at that frequency.

Quote:
Correct, but it does make it more difficult to regulate your mood.

Old 01-18-10, 12:20 PM

Thanked 23,972 Times in 11,093 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Heck, even people without any mental disorders listed in the DSM-IV have mood swings. But this isn't the first time I've seen a statement that ADHD is not "a mood disorder." While it's not the primary criteria for an ADHD diagnosis, it's certainly not uncommon for those of us with ADHD to have some crazy mood swings. I found they were common when I was getting PMS, and still get them when I'm getting sick or when I have a migraine.

Quote:
Perhaps the most difficult differential diagnosis to make is between ADHD and Bipolar Mood Disorder, since they share many symptoms, including mood instability, bursts of energy and restlessness, talkativeness, and impatience.
~ William Dodson, M.D. link here

Quote:
Diagnosing Bipolar vs ADHD

Both disorders share many characteristics: impulsivity, inattention, hyperactivity, physical energy, behavioral and emotional lability (behavior and emotions change frequently) ...
~ Dr. Charles Popper, link here

So - it could be either ADHD or Bipolar, or it could be both, or it could be neither (something else entirely). I hope your doctor is able to help.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Archon (01-18-10), daveddd (01-18-10), meridian (01-18-10)
Old 01-18-10, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
yea especially depression

is that what your pristiq is for?

yea i think the key would be treating symptoms , instead of trying to trace back everything to adhd

treat the symptoms , call it what you want ,, right?

oh and not saying it is bipolar (im about as qualified to say that as i am to say its adhd) but this was posted in the bipolar section, and ruling out bipolar for frequency of fluctuation is bad information

You're right, I overstepped.

The doc initially put me on Lamictal, but I was allergic and instead of lithium went for Pristiq which began to help with what I have always thought was chronic depression and PTSD from decades of caregiving and loss of two partners to cancer, but then he suggested ADHD and started me on Strattera and that has really helped.

But you are right, I'm no doctor. I mean seriously have seen the size of my brain!?!

Old 01-18-10, 01:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

GiGi3 is on a distinguished road

What meds are you taking? Are you taking Strattera and Pristiq?
Old 01-18-10, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi3 View Post
What meds are you taking? Are you taking Strattera and Pristiq?

If you mean me (meridian) then yes, also prozac and klonopin.

If you mean the OP, I don't know.

BTW, daveADD brings up a good point. I'm not sure my diagnosis is complete!

Old 01-18-10, 04:44 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

dude102 has a spectacular aura aboutdude102 has a spectacular aura about

Most of my mood fluctuations occur very rapidly... it hits rock bottom then comes back up and levels out, then goes up... and when it's rock bottom, I feel dissociation... like no one really wants me around... I don't have any close friends... etc... Is this a common feeling among those with bipolar disorder or ADD? Maybe there is another underlying disorder combined with either ADD or Bipolar..
Old 01-18-10, 05:09 PM

Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,781 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
It's a bit of a false dichotomy since it doesn't necessarily have to be either. I would argue that it's not bipolar however, since the moods are so rapid cycling. ADHD would be a better fit as it sounds like you have difficulty regulating your mood.
I'd second you on that Archon- wildly fluctuating moods are part and parel of ADHD. Every ADDer who I have spoken to face to face says the same. I still find that my ability to get carried away by one or two "hot button" issues can be quite overwhelming. I have been working so hard on this- but a few spot fires persist.

Now I have had Bipolar 1- 2 episodes brought on by sleep deprivation and extreme stress at work - and it is NOTHING like the ADD mood fluctuations. That was an experience of awesome force- one I never want to repeat.

As an aside- I think the old psychotherapeutic concept of "manic defence" has real currency- I know when I went off I was pushing so hard to deal with a couple of threatening issues that a disaster was almost inevitable.

I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.

both by:
Max Planck: Nobel Prize 1918 for inventing quantum physics.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
Archon (01-18-10)
Old 01-18-10, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barliman View Post
I'd second you on that Archon- wildly fluctuating moods are part and parel of ADHD. Every ADDer who I have spoken to face to face says the same. I still find that my ability to get carried away by one or two "hot button" issues can be quite overwhelming. I have been working so hard on this- but a few spot fires persist.

Now I have had Bipolar 1- 2 episodes brought on by sleep deprivation and extreme stress at work - and it is NOTHING like the ADD mood fluctuations. That was an experience of awesome force- one I never want to repeat.

As an aside- I think the old psychotherapeutic concept of "manic defence" has real currency- I know when I went off I was pushing so hard to deal with a couple of threatening issues that a disaster was almost inevitable.
im sorry, yes add ers can get grumpy, but you are coreect it s nots like the fluctuation of someone with bipolar

and you cannot rule out bipolar because of that fast of a cycle
Old 01-18-10, 10:28 PM

[quote=Lunacie;831397]Heck, even people without any mental disorders listed in the DSM-IV have mood swings. But this isn't the first time I've seen a statement that ADHD is not "a mood disorder." While it's not the primary criteria for an ADHD diagnosis, it's certainly not uncommon for those of us with ADHD to have some crazy mood swings. I found they were common when I was getting PMS, and still get them when I'm getting sick or when I have a migraine.

~ William Dodson, M.D. link here

i see where your coming from but

1. both those sources are biased, ive yet to see any true studys or test on mood instability in adhd
2 it says all moods are brought on by a life experience
3. it seems more likely that mood swings around pms or migraines were caused by those events

and other poster bad information was the wrong way to put it

rapid (daily) mood shifts have been seen in bipolar 2 or cyclothymic

meds can also cause it

so even the source says being overdramatic (not by choice) and unexplained mood fluctuations are the difference

also daily mood instability is seen in personality disorders

thats why i said just treat the symptoms and who cares what they call it