ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-26-10, 02:27 PM

seas is on a distinguished road
Long term use of Adderall and weight gain

I'm a 37 year old female and have been taking regular Adderall 20 mg 2x day for over 10 years for ADHD. Up until a couple of years ago I lost weight as one of the side effects of Adderall which for once was a good thing. I've noticed within the past couple of years that I just can't seem to keep my weight down. I gained quite a bit of weight and struggle lose it. I go to the gym on a regular basis and try to eat healthy. What I'm wondering is that due to the long term use of Adderall if it's causing my metabolism to slow down and therefore causing weight gain. Has anyone experienced this?
Old 01-26-10, 02:55 PM

mhoveybyrd is on a distinguished road
Re: Long term use of Adderall and weight gain

Well...you have been on Adderall for quite sometime it seems. If anything your body could be used to the dose that you are taking. Weight loss is a main side effect of any amphetamine, but a lot of that can subside the longer you take it. I do know that as you get older your metabolism slows down, so maybe that's why you are starting to gain weight. I'm only 28, but I do see how some diets that I tried before that made me shed off tons of weight rather quickly just don't work the same as they used to. I just started back on Adderall after being taken off of Vyvanse and have already started losing some of the weight that I gained during the months that they had me off of Vyvanse. Vyvanse made me lose about 25 really quickly, but once they took me off of it I gained it all back and then some. I know it's frustrating to still gain weight even though you have changed your eating habits and incorporated exercise into your daily life.
I can't give you a straight answer on whether or not long term use of Adderall causes weight gain, but I can't see why it would. If anything talk to your doctor about it, that's all I can really say. It may be something else.
Old 01-26-10, 03:07 PM

Thanks for your input. I know that taking the Adderall does stop my appetite so I'm not eating as much and careful what to eat when it wears off. I have tried talking to my doctor and he doesn't think it could cause weight gain. I'm not sure how much he really knows about the drug
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-10, 03:20 PM

mhoveybyrd is on a distinguished road

There's something else that's frustrating! Having a doctor that doesn't know anything about the meds you've been prescribed!!! Especially when it concerns you! I hate not getting a straight answer out of my doctor...but then again, I go to a doctor that basis their rates from your income....meaning, I never get the answers out of them that I need!
Old 01-26-10, 04:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

Roserazzle has a spectacular aura aboutRoserazzle has a spectacular aura about

You might have a peptic ulcer, which causes you to feel hungry all the time.
Adderall can give you peptic upset that can lead to ulcer.
That might be what causes your weight gain.

I am hungry all the time, like most people LOL but I try to make good choices for snacks. I find that adderall has made me less impulsive with my eating habits. I think before I grab now.

Adderall effects people differently over time.
Best thing might be to make a serious diet plan and stick to it.
You can do it

maybe you can ask your doc for some bloodwork. Maybe there is something else going on.
Old 01-26-10, 04:54 PM
Contributor

CalmTheChaos has a spectacular aura aboutCalmTheChaos has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by seas View Post
Up until a couple of years ago I lost weight as one of the side effects of Adderall which for once was a good thing. I've noticed within the past couple of years that I just can't seem to keep my weight down. I gained quite a bit of weight and struggle lose it. I go to the gym on a regular basis and try to eat healthy. What I'm wondering is that due to the long term use of Adderall if it's causing my metabolism to slow down and therefore causing weight gain. Has anyone experienced this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by seas View Post
I know that taking the Adderall does stop my appetite so I'm not eating as much and careful what to eat when it wears off.
Hey seas,

I battle with this exact same thing. It's not the Adderall that is slowing your metabolism and causing you to gain weight...directly.

Your problems are caused by not eating enough, which forces your body into starvation mode, slowing your metabolism and making you gain weight.

Appetite suppression only aids weight loss while your metabolism is still fast (and thinking you are getting enough nutrients). After your metabolism compensates, appetite suppression will cause you to gain weight.

I know it's hard, but you need to eat more! You want small meals (balanced in carbs, protein, and healthy fat) every 3-4 hours.

When I first discovered this, I was quite surprised. My trainer/nutritionist easily pinpointed the problem and after I changed my eating habits to eat more, I started losing weight.

Hope that helps!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalmTheChaos For This Useful Post:
Roserazzle (01-26-10), sunnydaysahead (10-20-12)
Old 01-27-10, 03:49 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

Your metabolism does not slow "With age" because of age, but from loss of lean muscle mass. It just so happens most people's activity levels go down with age, which leads to a loss of lean muscle mass, which lowers metabolism. Easy way to increase your metabolism? - lift some weights. A pound of muscle needs 3x the calories over a day than a pound of fat to maintain.
Old 01-27-10, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalmTheChaos View Post
Hey seas,

I battle with this exact same thing. It's not the Adderall that is slowing your metabolism and causing you to gain weight...directly.

Your problems are caused by not eating enough, which forces your body into starvation mode, slowing your metabolism and making you gain weight.

Appetite suppression only aids weight loss while your metabolism is still fast (and thinking you are getting enough nutrients). After your metabolism compensates, appetite suppression will cause you to gain weight.

I know it's hard, but you need to eat more! You want small meals (balanced in carbs, protein, and healthy fat) every 3-4 hours.

When I first discovered this, I was quite surprised. My trainer/nutritionist easily pinpointed the problem and after I changed my eating habits to eat more, I started losing weight.

Hope that helps!
I'm sorry to hear you've experinced the same thing. I do try to eat small meals when I can but when I take the Adderall it prevents me from eating. I know this sounds strange but if I try to eat something I get an odd feeling and just can't eat. I understand in general how not eating can slow metabolism down but for all the years I've taken Adderall I had the same problem with not eating and definitely did not gain weight just lost it. Also, I didn't really have to exercise. It's just the past few years that it's the reverse.
Old 01-27-10, 10:01 AM

Benjamin2840 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhoveybyrd View Post
Well...you have been on Adderall for quite sometime it seems. If anything your body could be used to the dose that you are taking. Weight loss is a main side effect of any amphetamine, but a lot of that can subside the longer you take it. I do know that as you get older your metabolism slows down, so maybe that's why you are starting to gain weight. I'm only 28, but I do see how some diets that I tried before that made me shed off tons of weight rather quickly just don't work the same as they used to. I just started back on Adderall after being taken off of Vyvanse and have already started losing some of the weight that I gained during the months that they had me off of Vyvanse. Vyvanse made me lose about 25 really quickly, but once they took me off of it I gained it all back and then some. I know it's frustrating to still gain weight even though you have changed your eating habits and incorporated exercise into your daily life.
I can't give you a straight answer on whether or not long term use of Adderall causes weight gain, but I can't see why it would. If anything talk to your doctor about it, that's all I can really say. It may be something else.
I've heard so many people say they gained all their weight back plus some when they go off add meds. Did you feel this was because you couldn't control your newly restored appetite, or your metabolism had slowed down? I wonder if there is a way to prevent this.
Old 01-27-10, 11:01 AM

My appetite while taking the Adderall hasn't changed. While it's in my system I don't have any appetite which I could see why it causes the weight loss as I'd be eating less.
Old 05-03-11, 05:09 AM

lovinight is on a distinguished road

Take a 3 month drug holiday and I bet it will have a re-boot affect. I had the same problem, beginning great weight loss, I could eat anything and lose. After years of use, started gradually gaining and nothing (even fasting for days) made any difference. 3 months off, I was back to new as far as the affect the drug had on my weight. I know 3 months seems like a long time, but it is worth it.
Old 05-03-11, 01:52 PM

tired tired is on a distinguished road

two factors: if you have been taken it for ten years. body loss occurs initially (adderall was used for weight loss (obestrol)) then your body fights to go back to normal increaseing your appetite until it wins over. then you start gaining weight like before adderall. if you stop adderall that appetite is even higher (kinda like ciggartes).

the other factor, is that with age your body tends to gain fat /lose muscle naturally. same as wrinkles or baldness. genes are involved also in this. so what you need to do is increase your physical activity, increase water consumption, eat more veggis, less carbs, less fat. dont starve your self becuase your body would think that there is a famine and start storing more fat and sugar giving you even less energy. tired, lethargic, depressed (kinda like adhd). dont follow a certain fad diet. because if u lose some weight initially you will go it out of the diet eventually and go back to your self. just make a small but constant change to your habits and nutrition. in away that is fun and natural. like eating more healthy natural food that gives you energy to go outdoors. instead of junk food that makes you feel stuffed and lazy.
Old 05-03-11, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinight View Post
Take a 3 month drug holiday and I bet it will have a re-boot affect. I had the same problem, beginning great weight loss, I could eat anything and lose. After years of use, started gradually gaining and nothing (even fasting for days) made any difference. 3 months off, I was back to new as far as the affect the drug had on my weight. I know 3 months seems like a long time, but it is worth it.
Thanks for the advice. Did you take a different medication during that time? My concern is that the Adderall does help with my ADHD. If I miss a dosage for a couple of days or take a lesser one my concentration is really bad.
Old 05-03-11, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tired tired View Post
two factors: if you have been taken it for ten years. body loss occurs initially (adderall was used for weight loss (obestrol)) then your body fights to go back to normal increaseing your appetite until it wins over. then you start gaining weight like before adderall. if you stop adderall that appetite is even higher (kinda like ciggartes).

the other factor, is that with age your body tends to gain fat /lose muscle naturally. same as wrinkles or baldness. genes are involved also in this. so what you need to do is increase your physical activity, increase water consumption, eat more veggis, less carbs, less fat. dont starve your self becuase your body would think that there is a famine and start storing more fat and sugar giving you even less energy. tired, lethargic, depressed (kinda like adhd). dont follow a certain fad diet. because if u lose some weight initially you will go it out of the diet eventually and go back to your self. just make a small but constant change to your habits and nutrition. in away that is fun and natural. like eating more healthy natural food that gives you energy to go outdoors. instead of junk food that makes you feel stuffed and lazy.
Thanks so much the the information/advice. I'm sure age and metabolism is a factor. What I find frustrating is that over the past few years I've been more active then ever. I do a lot of walking at work and walk for an hour every day weather permitting. I also go to the gym a few times a week. I have been trying to eat better which can be difficult as I'm a very picky eater. The other issue is that when I take the Adderall I can't eat.
Old 05-04-11, 01:32 PM
Contributor

jennyjay has a spectacular aura aboutjennyjay has a spectacular aura about

Seas I am in a similar situation. I am 30 and have taken adderall for 10 years. In the past year I have had a weight gain of 25 pounds. I am not doing anything differently now then I was before the weight gain. It is very upsetting. I went to my primary care doc and told him I could not handle seeing the scale move up any further. I was actually convinced I had Cushings disease. The only symptom I didn't have was the excessive facial/back hair growth. So my doctor (who did not think I had Cushings) humored me and we did the test (you must collect ALL your urine for 24 hours and keep it refrigerated--it was kind of gross). I don't have Cushings. So at my next visit with him I asked about Phentermine. He said he would RX it if my psychiatrist was OK with it (since I am on adderall ... etc.). I got the Phentermine and it does not do much for me, my psychiatrist thinks that is due to the fact that I have been on adderall for so long and since both drugs are CNS's my body is already used to having a stimulant in my system. I have continued to take them and for some odd reason they do give me motivation. I have lost 10 pounds since mid April. I still have a LONG way to go to reach my goal weight though.fficeffice" />>>