ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 01-27-10, 01:48 PM

darkest_hour is on a distinguished road
Question Adderall and prostate problems

anyone else seem to have these problems? heres my story

i'm 22 and i've been taking adderall IR for around 8 months now, slowly worked my way from 20mg a day to 50mg and was comfortable there. things were great for a few months, but then i started having trouble going to the bathroom. sharp pains every time i would urinate, and i just had an std screening and was clean. so i slow down on my adderall intake and realize that i'm fine going to the bathroom when i'm not on it, but when i am on it, the severe pain kicks in. i keep myself hydrated, but its still there.

so i go to the urologist after this has gone on for a month, my urine comes out clean of anything that would be a sort of uti or prostatitis, which my shrink told me thats what it probably was. the urologist has given me rapaflow, which is from what i've read, a muscle relaxer aimed at the prostate and bladder neck. haven't tried it yet, he said to take it before i go to sleep, then take the adderall in the morning and see how it goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to darkest_hour For This Useful Post:
markonline (05-14-10)
Old 03-27-10, 04:51 PM
Jr Member

stretch51 is on a distinguished road
Re: Adderall and prostate problems

I notice extra prostate problems on dexedrine
Old 03-27-10, 05:14 PM

JakeG is on a distinguished road

I've talked with my doctor about similar issues, and apparently Adderall (and all amphetamines) can cause non-infectious prostatitis and/or prostatitis-like symptoms. Regular ejaculations can provide some relief. You should probably talk to your doctor to discuss whether or not you should reduce or stop your dose.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-10, 05:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

O'Doyle is just really niceO'Doyle is just really niceO'Doyle is just really niceO'Doyle is just really nice

Yes, my prostate's a little odd on Adderall, but

Strattera was actually the worst, I apparently have VERY sensitive norepinephrine pathways. In addition to inducing near-psychosis-levels of panic, the ONE (yes, one) Strattera pill I took did funky things to my junk, too. I couldn't pee except dribbles, and midway through the dribbles I'd have some weird feeling and then—I'd basically ejaculate while urinating, entirely without any sense of orgasm.

If you don't know that you're doing that, then you're going to freak directly out when you see white, gloopy, stringy stuff in the bowl when you're done peeing.

So, it's possible that you have a pretty high sensitivity to things monkeying with your norepenephrine levels. You may want to try Ritalin instead of Adderall. I had absolutely no prostate-related side effects while on Ritalin.

If you're curious about why Ritalin would very likely *not* cause prostate issues, it again has to do with norepenephrine. Although methylphenidate (Ritalin) is a (mild) dopamine agonist, it is NOT a norepenephrine agonist, it just blocks reuptake in the synapse. Adderall, Dexedrine, Vyvanse, Strattera, etc. all fiddle much more actively with the amount of norepenephrine present in your synapses. That's why Adderall is more powerful than Ritalin for many people.

Unfortunately, guys like me just can't take that much norepenephrine. Adderall still makes me "pee-jaculate" every 3 days (about the time prostate congestion takes to set in) if I'm not sexually active. My wife just had our daughter 3 weeks ago, so guess who's getting 'backed-up'...

Another possibility: do you find yourself subconsciously clenching your pelvic floor while medicated? A lot of us do that, I'd venture to say. Unchecked, that plus a little stress can induce something called Chronic Pelvic Pain Disorder, or CPPD for short. It's actually a form of myofascial knotting of the pelvic floor, and it SUCKS. There's a great book out that deals with stress-related CPPD called "A Headache in the Pelvis," by some doctors whose names escape me at the moment. Very 'relieving' to find out that I was just stressed—not 'broken.'

In men, it can cause something that looks so similar to bacterial prostatitis, that the only way to differentiate between the two is with a 'clean-catch' urine culture. I had this, and I couldn't find a urologist willing to actually DO the stupid labwork—if it gets to this point, they give you a bucket of Ciprofloxacin, which believe me, brother—you don't want to be on for the 6 weeks they make you take it for. Especially since you don't actually have the damned infection. Fluoroquinolones are nothing to screw around with!

So, to summarize (you DO have ADD, after all ):
1. Perhaps Adderall is toying too much with your norepenephrine levels—ask to try Ritalin instead.
2. You may be tensing your pelvic floor without even meaning to. Think about it every now and then and see if you're flexing your PC muscle (the one you use to stop peeing midstream).

Hope this helps. I wish someone had been there to tell me what was going on, lol. I would've lost a lot less sleep!

~andrew
ADHDTigger (03-27-10), EatAtMilliways (03-29-10), jiffyPOP (04-24-12), markonline (05-14-10), qinkin (03-28-10), SpaceBaby (07-06-13)
Old 03-28-10, 05:41 PM
Contributor

Nocturnal is on a distinguished road

Wow I never made the connection to Adderall and my prostate problems. I have issues with weak stream and I'm only 28. This has been happening for quite some time now and I do believe it could be related to the Adderall. Very interesting correalation. I never bothered to put two and two together. I also sometimes have weak stream towards the end and end up dribbling onto my pants, that really ****es me off.
Old 03-29-10, 05:50 PM

EatAtMilliways is on a distinguished road

O'Doyle, I created an account specifically for the purpose of expressing my appreciation of your post (and I suppose I can go ahead and finally join the community I've been lurking around for a year now). That may be the best forum source of helpful information, personality, and well-timed humor that I've ever seen...so, thank you.

I too suffer from the same problem, and it's hilarious to see someone else you the term "pee-jaculate" as it happens to me all of the time. Have you (or anyone else) ever experienced an orgasm that left you feeling like you had some sort of blockage afterward? I refer to it as "having a round stuck in the chamber", and it's really the only thing that truly bothers me about this specific side-effect. The gloop drops in the toilet kind of freaked me out at first, but I got used to them fairly quickly. However, this side effect that I first mentioned is almost unbearably uncomfortable and I have no idea what I do to relieve it.

I've noticed that bending down and stretching will most often help relief a bit of the build up under normal circumstances, as well as (dare I say) gently massaging the prostate in extreme scenarios. Niether of these work to help the chamber blockage though...and it's driving me nuts! Has anybody else ended up feeling like, regardless of it's after sex or mastubation?

Thanks again, and it's nice to finally join everyone
markonline (05-14-10), O'Doyle (03-30-10)
Old 03-30-10, 01:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

O'Doyle is just really niceO'Doyle is just really niceO'Doyle is just really niceO'Doyle is just really nice

Quote:
Have you (or anyone else) ever experienced an orgasm that left you feeling like you had some sort of blockage afterward?
Without exception, sadly. It's been like this ever since I first developed the Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome 5 years ago. I haven't had entirely 'clean pipes,' so to speak, in all that time. Some days are better than others, I've noticed it gets particularly bad toward the end of a semester—no surprise, when you consider how much more Adderall (on average) I end up taking for the 16-hour paper-writing days, etc. When combined with the increase in baseline stress around exam/paper time, CPPS flare-ups are virtually a given. Nothing like incomplete peeing & ejaculation to really make the end of a school-year as pleasant as possible, eh?

Sigh.

BTW, I misspoke in my first post—it's CPPS, not CPPD. Also, the book I mentioned—"A Headache in the Pelvis"—is authored by Drs. Wise & Anderson of Stanford, and is now in its 5th edition. I can't recommend it highly enough!

Welcome to the forums, Milliways
(excellent Douglas Adams reference btw...)
EatAtMilliways (03-30-10)
Old 03-30-10, 03:26 PM
ADDvanced Member

KnewItAllAlong will become famous soon enough

Pee-jaculate...that's hilarious. It happend a lot on Adderall, only twice so far on Vyvanse; yesterday and today. I'm wondering if it's going to start being a regular thing again. Don't care at all. Vyvanse is saving my life.
Old 03-30-10, 05:44 PM

Ah, thank you as well sir. Nice to meet a fellow Adams fan.

On the topic at hand...I do notice it flair up worse on days that I have taken more of my adderall than others. The process usually involves a late night writing session with the band, come home to girlfriend asleep, she wakes up and offers sex, I think "Yes! I love this woman!", I end up wanting to cry afterwards. Heh, it really sucks not being to enjoy such an awesome evening as completely as I could.

KnewIt ...I noticed a fair amount with Vyvance during the two months my Dr switched me over to that as well. I had to be switched back to Adderall due to a strange heartburn sensation I developed after taking it for a while. Once it starts, it doesn't really stop I'm afraid (at least not with me anyways).
KnewItAllAlong (03-31-10)
Old 03-31-10, 10:04 AM
ADDvanced Member

KnewItAllAlong will become famous soon enough

EatAtMilliways....your quote "Talk fast! You've only got about 5 seconds before I start thinking about guitars!" just summed up my existence. Did you make that up, or did you read it some where. I love it.
Old 03-31-10, 01:04 PM

Ha, that's actually an original. Also...it's completely true
Old 04-02-10, 01:53 AM

MrCowbell will become famous soon enough

Avodart will help with prostate problems and it has the side effect of regrowing hair! They are trying to get it FDA approved as a cure for male pattern baldness.

Old 04-03-10, 11:04 PM
Contributor

Nocturnal is on a distinguished road

Do you guys notice your orgasms on Adderall are bland? I notice if I take Adderall and then having an orgasm within a few hour period that the orgasm is severely lacking.
Old 04-06-10, 11:23 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Do you guys notice your orgasms on Adderall are bland?
Sometimes at higher doses, yes. In addition to the extra round in the chamber that Mill was talking about, higher amounts of norepinephrine can cause retrograde ejaculation—total or partial.

Half out, half into your bladder to be peed out awkwardly later. Hooray, science.
Old 04-07-10, 03:21 PM

Yes, with emphasis on O'Doyle's "awkward" sentiment. On higher doses (and depending on my dose/happy time schedule), I have noticed orgasms can be bland from time to time. That said, I have experienced some of the best of my life whilst on my meds. It's really a win some/lose some situation with me, but this is still entirely focused on the sexual side of things. I wouldn't trade in my adderall for anything.