ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-10, 10:26 PM
Jr Member

.Nick has disabled reputation
Nick - Iowa

Hello,

I'm Nick and I currently attend college in Iowa.

Throughout my life I've suffered from devastating social anxiety, difficulty keeping focus, procrastination, and variable academic achievement among other things. However, due in part to my mother having mental health problems when I was young, I managed to convince myself that my troubles were normal, though I seemed to suffer more than everyone else. I distracted myself with video games and other mindless activities. It was only winter break when things got low enough that I started to take more seriously a comment someone made when I was younger that I might have ADHD. It was then that I found this forum, and everything just seemed to fit...

I'm currently seeing a psychiatrist at school. I've shared my concerns, but he thinks we need to work first on my social anxiety because of its prevalence and the impact it could have on testing. I'm inclined to agree (it took me a half hour to write this post, most of it spent worrying about how it will be received), and started on sertraline last Friday.

Whatever I end up having, I'm glad I found this forum. Your stories helped me to know that I'm not as alone as I feel.
The Following User Says Thank You to .Nick For This Useful Post:
novagal (02-02-10)
Old 02-02-10, 11:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,969 Times in 2,474 Posts
novagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant futurenovagal has a brilliant future
Re: Nick - Iowa

Hi Nick, it's good to meet you!

I know exactly what you mean about taking so long to write posts and being concerned about they might be recieved. I've spent over an hour on posts before only to delete them, feeling unsure about how I come accross. I'm finally getting over that, and it's great being around so many others that understand. You're right, you're not alone.
Even if I didn't use it in the house?
- Bill Waterson (Calvin and Hobbes)
Old 02-03-10, 06:57 AM

carmendioxide is on a distinguished road

Welcome, Nick!

-Carmen
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-10, 02:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

Lost Focus will become famous soon enough

Welcome!

Until recently, I didn't share your concern about how a message will be received. Due to the blunt, direct nature of my posts on web forums, as well as our local newspaper online comments section, I've become rather known for how bold I speak, and the fact that I put my real name behind those posts (on the news site). These days, I'm getting better about recognizing the need to change 'tactics' so to speak, in order to get my point across.

It can be a learned skill, with the key being one's own awareness of the need to exercise a little more caution. So long as you aren't attacking anyone here, speak your mind. It's all good.