ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 02-06-10, 05:56 AM
Jr Member

ghostinator is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Mallinckrodt generics! NDC number so you can special order!

This is half the list, the other half is for generic Adderall IR. Which i will post in it's respective forum. All of them should be in production, I couldn't find any reference to recalls, stopping production, or unable to get ordered.

Make sure you get the NDC number to the Pharmacist so they can order the correct dosage and pills. Sometimes these numbers won't be in their computers so simply telling them what the drug is, isnt' enough. I've underlined the numbers you need. Every NDC number stands for a bottle of 100 pills

Mallinckrodt Generic Dexedrine tabs (IR)&(ER)

NDC 00406-8958-01 5MG TABLET Generic Dexedrine (in production)
NDC 00406-8959-01 10MG TABLET Generic Dexedrine (in production, according to state of idaho's medicaid system. It did not show up as discontinued, as of 12/9/09)
NDC 00406-8960-01 5MG TABLET Generic Dexedrine (In production, Extended Release)
NDC 00406-8961-01 10MG TABLET Generic Dexedrine (In production, Extended Release)
NDC 00406-8962-01 15MG TABLET Generic Dexedrine (In production, Extended Release)

Last edited by ghostinator; 02-06-10 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: had to add an icon to the post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghostinator For This Useful Post:
empty (02-07-10), salleh (02-22-10)
Old 02-07-10, 05:46 PM

empty is on a distinguished road
Re: Mallinckrodt generics! NDC number so you can special order!

Thanks so much for finding this!

I plan to call Mallinckrodt on Monday to confirm these NDC numbers.

Then I'll ask my doctor write a one week script specifically for the Mallinckrodt 5mg and/or 10mg tablets, so I can compare them to the GSK Dexedrine Spansules. I'll have him explicitly write "only fill with Mallinckrodt brand, NDC code XXX" on the prescription itself, so some moron at the pharmacy doesn't assume "generic" always means Barr.

You said your local Walgreens was willing to special order the Mallinckrodts via their NDC codes, right?

I was going to go to a locally owned non-chain pharmacy instead, since they usually understand special requests like this. Unfortunately even these small pharmacies often use the same distributor (invariably McKesson), and I was told McKesson wouldn't honor special orders by NDC numbers, so I may be stuck.

Do you have any ideas what I should do if both Walgreens and the locally owned pharmacies tell me McKesson won't special order it for them? I thought I had the legal right to demand that they order a specific brand when I give them my script (on which the doctor indicates a specific brand and/or D.A.W.), but in the past they've rebuffed my requests (although that was before my doctor wrote the brand name right on the script itself, so maybe it will work this time).
Old 02-10-10, 11:13 PM

empty is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately not - this was probably recently discovered back stock near expiration

Unfortunately it looks like these Mallinckrodt tablets may have been a fluke, not an ongoing product.

I just called Mallinckrodt's specialty pharmaceuticals division to enquire about these NDC numbers (00406-8958-01 and 00406-8959-01 for the 5mg and 10mg, respectively).

The representative looked up these NDCs in her database, and told me both were "obsolete items", which means they're no longer in production.

She explained that one or more major distributors (like McKesson) probably just discovered an older lot of Mallinckrodt tablets in its warehouse that wasn't expired yet (i.e. it could have been up to 3 years old). The distributor selected a box from this lot (totally by chance) and shipped it to the pharmacies where people have reported receiving Mallinckrodt instead of Barr, several years after Mallinckrodt stopped manufacturing all dextroamphetamine products.

That being said, I tried and failed to specifically request these NDC codes from several different drug stores, most of whom use McKesson (the Walgreens distributor), and every time I was told they were out of stock with no return date specified.

The bottom line is simple: if you've received Mallinckrodt instead of Barr in the past few months, consider yourself extraordinarily lucky, since there are probably very few pills remaining at this point, and once they're gone, they're gone forever.

Amusingly, the Mallinckrodt lady asked me why I was so interested in this specific drug that they no longer even manufacture, when other generics were available. I told her about the growing sentiment that the only other option - Barr Labs - was practically worse than a street drug, and surprisingly, she said several other people have called her with the exact same complaint!

Maybe there's still hope Mallinckrodt will really resume manufacturing generic Dexedrine, if enough patients call them to register their interest. You can call Mallinckrodt at 800 778 7898 (main number for patients), or 800.325.8888 (specialty pharmaceuticals).

Note that the specialty pharmaceuticals rep may ask for your account number. If this happens, just tell them your doctor advised you to call this number to see if Mallinckrodt still makes the medication you were prescribed, since other generics caused problems.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-10, 11:29 PM

demitriden will become famous soon enough

called wallgreens. they said they don't have it... any ideas?
Old 02-11-10, 07:36 AM

Josh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really niceJosh_kelly is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by demitriden View Post
called wallgreens. they said they don't have it... any ideas?

i did that already. no dice
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75267

procentra

http://www.procentraadhd.com/

and for people who are asking that procentra because its in a liquid form is easier to abuse. the answer is no

the liquid is sugar (bubble gum flavor) its not free base.
so for the junkies they have to get rid of the sugar which complex for the average person.

plus its expensive $300 a bottle

For the average ADDer you need two bottles a month minimum

1 mg of dex per 1 ml
475 ml per bottle so that's 475 mg of dex per bottle

475 mg divided by 30 day = approx. 16mg per day

so one bottle will supply you with 16 mg of dex a day

http://www.drugstore.com/pharmacy/pr...616&trx=1Z5006

finally, if you open the bottle you have to consume it within max two months just like juice because it would spoil and dex is stable for 1 month in liquid form.

capsules lasts longer
and tablets last the max

personally, i think that within 5-10 years no IR will be available.

XR is the way to go for companies because:

1. XR way more expensive than IR because of the sophisticated tech they use for drug delivery
2. less pressure from FDA and less law suits from people who abused the drug and "coincidently" Over dosed.

time line

meth was sold over the counter just like Advil in the 50s. for weight loss and energy booster
then became prescription only weight loss/depression medication obetrol (old name for adderall) which had "meth"amphetamine salts
then replaced the meth salts with amphetamine salts in adderall
then made it in the XR form
Then made it in 99% non abusable form (Vyvanse)

so i dont think they are going to go in the opposite direction because customer demand.making IR companies care for their reputation because that's more profitable in the long run

I expect that even generic companies will stop selling IR. Generic adderall XR approx. ($400+) generic adderall ($30)

so you see the price gap here

for the ADHDer, if there is not IR available only option is XR

so its even better for them to stop making the IRs. There is no one single advantage for companies to keep manufacturing IR. except if only one company makes it, where ADDers have to choice because its the only IR available
AKA (Teva/Barr) gang

my two cents!
Old 02-22-10, 05:40 PM

pudge72 will become famous soon enough
Re: Unfortunately not - this was probably recently discovered back stock near expirat

Quote:
Originally Posted by empty View Post
Unfortunately it looks like these Mallinckrodt tablets may have been a fluke, not an ongoing product.

I just called Mallinckrodt's specialty pharmaceuticals division to enquire about these NDC numbers (00406-8958-01 and 00406-8959-01 for the 5mg and 10mg, respectively).

The representative looked up these NDCs in her database, and told me both were "obsolete items", which means they're no longer in production.

She explained that one or more major distributors (like McKesson) probably just discovered an older lot of Mallinckrodt tablets in its warehouse that wasn't expired yet (i.e. it could have been up to 3 years old). The distributor selected a box from this lot (totally by chance) and shipped it to the pharmacies where people have reported receiving Mallinckrodt instead of Barr, several years after Mallinckrodt stopped manufacturing all dextroamphetamine products.

That being said, I tried and failed to specifically request these NDC codes from several different drug stores, most of whom use McKesson (the Walgreens distributor), and every time I was told they were out of stock with no return date specified.

The bottom line is simple: if you've received Mallinckrodt instead of Barr in the past few months, consider yourself extraordinarily lucky, since there are probably very few pills remaining at this point, and once they're gone, they're gone forever.

Amusingly, the Mallinckrodt lady asked me why I was so interested in this specific drug that they no longer even manufacture, when other generics were available. I told her about the growing sentiment that the only other option - Barr Labs - was practically worse than a street drug, and surprisingly, she said several other people have called her with the exact same complaint!

Maybe there's still hope Mallinckrodt will really resume manufacturing generic Dexedrine, if enough patients call them to register their interest. You can call Mallinckrodt at 800 778 7898 (main number for patients), or 800.325.8888 (specialty pharmaceuticals).

Note that the specialty pharmaceuticals rep may ask for your account number. If this happens, just tell them your doctor advised you to call this number to see if Mallinckrodt still makes the medication you were prescribed, since other generics caused problems.
I just called and registered my complaint at the number given in the post above. I called Jennifer in Product Monitoring (800-778-7898) and she confirmed that they had stopped production on the 5mg and 10mg IR Dextroamphetamine Sulfate tablets. I told her how all the other generics on the market were god-awful, and that I wanted to officially register my complaint over Mallinckrodt's decision to stop production on their generic.

She confirmed that the only way the message would reach 'top decision-makers' at the company is if a substantial number of people called with the same complaint.

So, I urge everyone to call Mallinckrodt at that same number and register your complaint over their decision to discontinue production. Make sure to tell them that if they restarted production, there would be no shortage of customers.

If you need specifics, the following website has comprehensive info on Mallinckrodt's 10mg & 5mg Dextroamphetamine Sulfate tablets:

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed...fo.cfm?id=6523

Let's get calling!! It's our only chance of escaping the awful shackles of the sub-par generics that have put a stranglehold on the market.
Old 02-22-10, 07:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,529 Times in 3,010 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be on the phone to Jennifer tomorrow !!! thanks for the info ......

and frankly, not having the IRs terrifies me, the caps barely work for me at all, I shudder to think how much I'd have to take for it to be effective.....and I pay for my own meds too , no insurance ..hmmm seems to be a lot of us around here that have to pay for their own meds.....

....as someone who HAS to have meds to be able to function at all....being held hostage by drug companies is truely frustrating and completely wiothout power to direct my own life.....

........If you make it to age 50 without growing up, you don't have to ......

.....After all, the business of life is the acquisition of memories....in the end, that's all we have .....Words of wisdom by the Downton Abbeys' butler
Old 03-27-10, 01:35 PM

narcosleepy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info! I'll be placing a call as well- the discontinuing of mallinckrodt dextroamphetamine has basically left those with narcolepsy in the same boat (stuck with Barr/Teva's garbage product). I would rather sleep through the day than have to take medication from Barr that made me feel like I was insane! I would happily pay $$$ out of pocket monthly if mallinckrodt brought back their product- it would be well worth it (and I assume that a lack of profitability due to manufacturing costs was what caused them to stop manufacturing- perhaps they couldn't in good conscience compete with the S*** Barr pumps into their generics to keep their costs low). I will be happy to inform them that I don't mind paying more for a quality product!
Old 04-18-10, 04:51 AM
Contributor

muldoon has a spectacular aura aboutmuldoon has a spectacular aura about

Mallinckrodt made the best generic dexamp capsules hands down. Those things changed my life.

According to their website, they don't manufacture any form or strength of dexamp anymore. This is relatively old news as it was rumored Barr bought out the rights to be the sole generic manufacturer.