ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 02-06-10, 11:24 PM

Galileo will become famous soon enough
Questions re taking multiple daily doses of vyvanse

I take two 50mg doses each day, first at 6am and the second usually around 11 am. (Also taking 300 mg Bupropion daily) Been doing this for a few months now. For those of you taking multiple vyvanse doses each day:

How many mg do you take for each dose and when do you take them?

I'm still playing around with the timing between doses and realized I don't really know how long a single does lasts for me because I moved quickly into the second dose when I started vyvanse a few months ago for better coverage.

Now that I've been doing this for a few months, and kind of settling in nicely with vyvanse, I'd like to fine tune the time between doses. So I think I might try skipping my second dose for a few days just to get a sense for when a single dose peaks and wears off. This might inform to determine when to take the second does.

I've tried anywhere from 3 hours apart to 7 hours apart but haven't paid enough attention to what works best. No matter what I've done, it has all worked pretty well, but I can't help tinkering a bit so that I know I'm dosing in the most optimal way. What have you guys found? Any advice?
Old 02-07-10, 03:21 AM
Contributor

CalmTheChaos has a spectacular aura aboutCalmTheChaos has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Questions re taking multiple daily doses of vyvanse

I take 60mg Vyvanse in the morning (usually with 10mg Adderall IR) and 2.5 hours later, I take another 60mg Vyvanse.

For me, if the second dose is any later than 3 hours, I will already be crashing from the first too much for the second to compensate (which it never does very well).

It causes a big rollercoaster effect, which does not allow consistency or maximization of effectiveness. Even 3.25-3.5 hours later yields noticeably bad results compared to 2.5.

A single dose of Vyvanse takes 1-1.5 hours to kick in, peaks around 2.5-3 hours, and is totally gone around 5.5-6 hours.

If I need extended coverage, I'll take another 10mg Adderall IR 2-3 hours after the second Vyvanse. But, in general, I try to avoid the Adderall because it exacerbates my irritability.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalmTheChaos For This Useful Post:
BellaVita (08-21-12), Galileo (02-07-10)
Old 02-09-10, 10:06 PM

MildRage is on a distinguished road
Re: Questions re taking multiple daily doses of vyvanse

I had been taking 60mg of Vyvanse once a day. I told the Dr. that it wasn't lasting long enough so he went with 40mg twice a day. The 40 in the morning seems like things don't quite come into focus for me and then when I took the second 40 around 11:30 it felt like way too much when it kicked in. The 60 was ideal as far as symptom control. I wonder if he would consider Adderall IR in the morning or afternoon to extend my symptom control. Does anyone else that's dosing twice on Vyvanse have any trouble with the time of overlap?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-10, 01:55 AM

Galileo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MildRage View Post
I had been taking 60mg of Vyvanse once a day. I told the Dr. that it wasn't lasting long enough so he went with 40mg twice a day. The 40 in the morning seems like things don't quite come into focus for me and then when I took the second 40 around 11:30 it felt like way too much when it kicked in. The 60 was ideal as far as symptom control. I wonder if he would consider Adderall IR in the morning or afternoon to extend my symptom control. Does anyone else that's dosing twice on Vyvanse have any trouble with the time of overlap?
How far apart are your two 40 mg doses? Have you tried making them further apart? You may have to take the first dose quite early so the second dose doesn't last too late in the day for for you and interfere with sleep. Also you could try what I did:

Take only the one 40mg on a day where you don't mind experimenting. Record exactly how you feel every few hours. Does the 40 reach a good peak level for you at all? It might not, if 60mg was working well for you originally. 40 mg alone might not do much for you. Find out. If it doesn't you might consider trying 50 mg twice a day or even 60. While some doctors think this is a lot, (the pharmacist and insurance company may) if you need extended coverage and a single dose only lasts you 6-8 hrs, then I think another full dose is needed, just not overlapping too much with the first. I don't know, this just seems to be a theory which is growing with me. I think other's here have expressed similar findings.

If 60mg does in fact work well for you, I can see how your doc would be reluctant to simply double your dose from 60 to 120. That would appear extreme and your insurance company and pharmacy might give you issues.

I did the experiment over the weekend which I mentioned above and took just the one 50mg in the morning and skipped the second dose. I wanted to see just how I reacted without the second overlapping dose. Since I went pretty much straight to the 2x daily dose, I didn't really know how the timing of a single does worked for me. It was like this:

9am: 50mg
10:30 working very well (peaking) until about 1pm
3pm working well though I can feel that it's maybe 50% less than peak
5pm working, but at about 1/4 strength that it had at peak, almost gone. So maybe it lasts approx 8hrs for me with the last 2 hours ok, but definitely less than optimal. I did notice that 50mg does, in fact work very well for me, just not long enough. This is good to know. So it made sense not to overlap the two doses too much, potentially getting more than I need.

So I then resumed the second dose 5 hours after the first, which is what I'd been intuitively doing all along. I had tried anywhere from 3 to seven hours apart, but not very scientifically, which is why I asked this question about multiple doses in the first place. 5 hours apart seemed right for me, since it takes about 1.5 to 2 hrs to kick in. This way my second dose is ramping up while the first is winding down and I don't experience the

Normally I take the two doses around 6 am and 11am. When I do this, the coverage is optimal from about 7:30 am to 6pm and then winding down nicely from 6pm to 10pm (still enough to be productive) with none of the crash I got on adderall. I have busy evenings with kid's homework, making dinner etc. By 11pm I'm usually asleep.

The second dose seems to last longer, I'm guessing because it has the underlying boost of the first dose. I'm also finding that the single 50mg works well for Saturday and Sunday when I don't need extended coverage. When tinkering like this, it's helpful for me to keep a small pocket-sized notebook handy to jot down how I feel as I fine tune. Otherwise, it's impossible to remember what happened and make appropriate adjustments.

I guess this points to how results vary widely and the need to figure out what works for you by experimenting. I guess I'm lucky in that I don't need to consider boosters and each dose lasts seems to be lasting around 6-8 hours.

Don't hesitate to arm yourself with as much information when you go to your doctor. Many doctors are not that experienced with vyvanse, even though it's been around for a while now. I told my pdoc about this forum and how it holds a wealth of information - he was interested and sees an educated patient as a good thing. He is aware that vyvanse does not, in many cases work the 10-12 hours as advertised.

I have a friend who keeps complaining that her 50mg daily of vyvanse wears off by noon. If she wants coverage for the afternoon/evening, it would appear common sense to me (I could be totally wrong of course) that she should try taking another 50mg for afternoon coverage. This is, of course, unorthodox to her pdoc who apparently buys into the manufacturer's literature which says vyvanse lasts 10-12 hours. She is not one to tinker with her meds and her doc is a apparently a real snob who thinks he knows all, but isn't really good at med mgmt and not really that interested in it (he's more of an academic researcher professorial type apparently who doesn't focus on med mgmt). She's not happy with him and is switching to a new doc soon (her son's doc, whom she likes). The more I learn, I see how hard it can be to find a good pdoc!

If anybody has thoughts on this feel free to tell me I'm out to lunch. I'm new to this game and could be totally wrong about this. I believe I'm not stating anything new. I think I've seen others here saying similar things about vyvanse. God, why do I write such long posts?
The Following User Says Thank You to Galileo For This Useful Post:
Petersen6981 (07-02-13)
Old 07-02-13, 11:11 AM

Petersen6981 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo View Post
How far apart are your two 40 mg doses? Have you tried making them further apart? You may have to take the first dose quite early so the second dose doesn't last too late in the day for for you and interfere with sleep. Also you could try what I did:

Take only the one 40mg on a day where you don't mind experimenting. Record exactly how you feel every few hours. Does the 40 reach a good peak level for you at all? It might not, if 60mg was working well for you originally. 40 mg alone might not do much for you. Find out. If it doesn't you might consider trying 50 mg twice a day or even 60. While some doctors think this is a lot, (the pharmacist and insurance company may) if you need extended coverage and a single dose only lasts you 6-8 hrs, then I think another full dose is needed, just not overlapping too much with the first. I don't know, this just seems to be a theory which is growing with me. I think other's here have expressed similar findings.

If 60mg does in fact work well for you, I can see how your doc would be reluctant to simply double your dose from 60 to 120. That would appear extreme and your insurance company and pharmacy might give you issues.

I did the experiment over the weekend which I mentioned above and took just the one 50mg in the morning and skipped the second dose. I wanted to see just how I reacted without the second overlapping dose. Since I went pretty much straight to the 2x daily dose, I didn't really know how the timing of a single does worked for me. It was like this:

9am: 50mg
10:30 working very well (peaking) until about 1pm
3pm working well though I can feel that it's maybe 50% less than peak
5pm working, but at about 1/4 strength that it had at peak, almost gone. So maybe it lasts approx 8hrs for me with the last 2 hours ok, but definitely less than optimal. I did notice that 50mg does, in fact work very well for me, just not long enough. This is good to know. So it made sense not to overlap the two doses too much, potentially getting more than I need.

So I then resumed the second dose 5 hours after the first, which is what I'd been intuitively doing all along. I had tried anywhere from 3 to seven hours apart, but not very scientifically, which is why I asked this question about multiple doses in the first place. 5 hours apart seemed right for me, since it takes about 1.5 to 2 hrs to kick in. This way my second dose is ramping up while the first is winding down and I don't experience the

Normally I take the two doses around 6 am and 11am. When I do this, the coverage is optimal from about 7:30 am to 6pm and then winding down nicely from 6pm to 10pm (still enough to be productive) with none of the crash I got on adderall. I have busy evenings with kid's homework, making dinner etc. By 11pm I'm usually asleep.

The second dose seems to last longer, I'm guessing because it has the underlying boost of the first dose. I'm also finding that the single 50mg works well for Saturday and Sunday when I don't need extended coverage. When tinkering like this, it's helpful for me to keep a small pocket-sized notebook handy to jot down how I feel as I fine tune. Otherwise, it's impossible to remember what happened and make appropriate adjustments.

I guess this points to how results vary widely and the need to figure out what works for you by experimenting. I guess I'm lucky in that I don't need to consider boosters and each dose lasts seems to be lasting around 6-8 hours.

Don't hesitate to arm yourself with as much information when you go to your doctor. Many doctors are not that experienced with vyvanse, even though it's been around for a while now. I told my pdoc about this forum and how it holds a wealth of information - he was interested and sees an educated patient as a good thing. He is aware that vyvanse does not, in many cases work the 10-12 hours as advertised.

I have a friend who keeps complaining that her 50mg daily of vyvanse wears off by noon. If she wants coverage for the afternoon/evening, it would appear common sense to me (I could be totally wrong of course) that she should try taking another 50mg for afternoon coverage. This is, of course, unorthodox to her pdoc who apparently buys into the manufacturer's literature which says vyvanse lasts 10-12 hours. She is not one to tinker with her meds and her doc is a apparently a real snob who thinks he knows all, but isn't really good at med mgmt and not really that interested in it (he's more of an academic researcher professorial type apparently who doesn't focus on med mgmt). She's not happy with him and is switching to a new doc soon (her son's doc, whom she likes). The more I learn, I see how hard it can be to find a good pdoc!

If anybody has thoughts on this feel free to tell me I'm out to lunch. I'm new to this game and could be totally wrong about this. I believe I'm not stating anything new. I think I've seen others here saying similar things about vyvanse. God, why do I write such long posts?
I am totally glad you did this long post...you answered exactly what I was looking for. Thanks buddy!!!
Old 07-05-13, 06:15 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

twinch42085 has a spectacular aura abouttwinch42085 has a spectacular aura about

I take 140mg of Vyvanse in the morning around 8am and then throughout the day I add in my other medicine of instant release dexedrine. So, 140mg around 8am combined with a 10mg instant release dexedrine and by the end of the day my total intake is 140mg of the Vyvanse and 40mg of the instant release dexedrine. The Vyvanse is more smooth and not as abruptly shocking as the instant release dexedrine.