ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-10, 07:40 AM

GoGators1985 is on a distinguished road
Racing uncontrollable thoughts while trying to sleep.

I only get these right before trying to sleep while laying down trying to get to bed.

I have all kinds of random thoughts that make no remote kind of sense whatsoever, and what is even freakier is sometimes the thoughts will be in another tone of voice than my own.

What I mean is you know how when you have an actual thought that may be a sentence such as "Wow I really need to go walk my dog." it will be in your own voice like you talking. A lot of these thoughts are not like that at all.

Now I don't hear voices that aren't there, none of the thoughts are audible or anything like that. But while trying to sleep a lot of the time I will have a completely random thought like "feed the dolphin food" or some absurd thing of that nature, and the thoughts just keep racing and going and don't allow me to sleep.

Am I going insane or could this just be my ADD brain being retarded?

Also the only mental disorder I have ever been diagnosed with is ADD and I have no history of any serious mental disorder in my entire family.

Gotten like 10 hours of sleep in the last three days and this is driving me nuts! I just got off my couch because of this and can't go back to sleep :-(

Thanks for any input.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoGators1985 For This Useful Post:
meridian (02-07-10)
Old 02-07-10, 10:28 AM
Modulated

Thanked 6,893 Times in 2,971 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Racing uncontrollable thoughts while trying to sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGators1985 View Post
I only get these right before trying to sleep while laying down trying to get to bed.

I have all kinds of random thoughts that make no remote kind of sense whatsoever, and what is even freakier is sometimes the thoughts will be in another tone of voice than my own.

I've had this. For me it's like a radio station or a bunch of them start playing and I "hear" all kinds of stuff. I put it down to part of falling asleep.

Once, while just about asleep I remarked aloud to my partner "If we could only talk to penguins, everything would be alright." When I heard myself say it I laughed out loud.

I have no clue if NTs get this as well, but actually for me it has become a rare occurrence.

This is very different from the anxious thoughts about "how am I gonna pay my bills" kind of stuff that used to keep me from sleeping. 0.5mg of Klonopin 45 minutes before bed helped with that!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
Old 02-07-10, 01:21 PM

Bjartur is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGators1985 View Post
Now I don't hear voices that aren't there, none of the thoughts are audible or anything like that. But while trying to sleep a lot of the time I will have a completely random thought like "feed the dolphin food" or some absurd thing of that nature, and the thoughts just keep racing and going and don't allow me to sleep.

I laughed a bit when i read those two, just like me sometimes too, I think sometimes some completely nonsense things.

I read something about such thoughts, and it's nothing but someway to stress of. Can't promise that it's the excactly same thing, but I am quiet confident that it is.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-10, 01:39 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,933 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

This is an example of something cognitive behaviour therapy can really help with. There are books on the topic of sleep hygiene and how to stop thinking long enough to fall asleep.

Phaedrus

Old 02-07-10, 01:58 PM
Jr Member

Siouxzan is on a distinguished road

Get off your couch ASAP and go for a walk/run/or exercise in some shape or form to burn off the energy that's fueling your brain. It's not a cure-all, but it will help rid some of that toxic energy and up your endorphines/dopamine (which is irregular in our brains anyway).

It's taken me YEARS to master falling asleep and now I'm working on sleeping throughout the whole night (something I've never done in my entire life without heavy meds).

Some other tips:

- allow yourself some time for your mind to go crazy like this - whether it be for 5 mins in the shower, or on the couch (try not to do it in your bed or you'll associate mind-racing with sleeping). IT IS OKAY for your brain to race like this, you're not crazy, you're just unique. I write down all my crazy thoughts, and some of them are actually brilliant thoughts!
- tell yourself that AT THIS PARTICULAR MOMENT IN TIME you ABSOLUTELY can do nothing to solve the issues running around in your head. You just can't. It's time for rest, not problem solving, so save it for a better time.
- daily exercerise is KEY! I know we as adhd peeps find it hard to stay motivated or in any sort of daily routine, but try to get used to exercising or expelling energy when you feel this mind racing creeping up.
- stop fighting it: if it's just going to be one of those "mind-racing nights" then it is. Sometimes, no matter what you do, it won't stop. Just ACCEPT IT, and know that it eventually subsides. Be a WITNESS to what it racing through your brain instead of being the JUDGE by saying "what the F is wrong with me". In time, by being the witness, you'll start to notice patterns of what sets your off, or what your thoughts predominantly focus on.

Hopefully this helps some Good luck!

Ps. NO sugar/caffeine or food close to bedtime - this stimulates our brains which seem to come alive at night!
meridian (02-07-10)
Old 02-07-10, 02:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,887 Times in 6,198 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I'm more of a morning person so sometimes, I wake up with racing thoughts before the alarm goes off...it's like I sleep the strict minimum and then my mind takes over.
(I hate this).
Old 02-07-10, 03:15 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

AliKatski has a spectacular aura aboutAliKatski has a spectacular aura about

The human brain runs about 22 times faster when we sleep. When you are disturbed by racing thought, it's your brain going into sleep mode, but not quite managing to switch off consciousness.

I get it all the time, and then only thing I can do about it is to wait until it slows down again - the most important thing: stop trying to go to sleep - you'll get stressed making it impossible.

In Pagan times, uninspired people made sacrifices at the altar, and today, thanks to marriage, many still do. - Danny McCrossan - Northern Irish Comedian.

I didn't mean to offend you, it was a slip of the mind
Old 02-07-10, 04:08 PM

PeteM62 has a spectacular aura aboutPeteM62 has a spectacular aura about

I have found one thing that works for me. If I am watching something like a documentary, and I am tired, it is not unusual to find myself being woken up by the commercials. Realizing it's time for bed, I brush my teeth etc. and hop in bed only to lay there with my mind racing. Just 15 minutes earlier I could barely keep my eyes open but now I'm wide awake!

So this is what I did. I recorded a bunch of documentaries and edited out the commercials. When I can't get to sleep I start one of these up and set the sleep timer on the TV to 30 minutes. 80% of the time I'm asleep within about 15 minutes.

I think what's happening is that the show occupies my mind just enough to keep it from racing but not so much that it keeps me awake.

Old 02-07-10, 09:11 PM
Modulated

Thanked 6,893 Times in 2,971 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteM62 View Post
So this is what I did. I recorded a bunch of documentaries and edited out the commercials. When I can't get to sleep I start one of these up and set the sleep timer on the TV to 30 minutes. 80% of the time I'm asleep within about 15 minutes.
Oh, man, the documentary filmmaker in me is so sad now

Musta been pretty dull docs!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
The Following User Says Thank You to meridian For This Useful Post:
PeteM62 (02-08-10)