ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 02-08-10, 09:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

cinfid12 is on a distinguished road
Do I have ADHD or Anxiety???

I was diagnosed with ADHD about a year ago. I honestly don't know if I really do have it because I didn't really show many symptoms before highschool. The main reason for me getting tested was because of my grades. Here are some of my symptoms.
If I am interested in a subject I can usually concentrate fine.
If its boring I space out big time.
I have a hard time starting things especially homework.
Sometimes I can sit down and to whatever sometimes I can't what so ever.

AND this one I do not understand> during school I have no sex drive then during winter break or summer vacation it goes back to normal. I didnt pick up on this until it happened continuously when getting out of school. It's weird since I am still young and this should not be happening to me

Is this an anxiety problem? I am obviously stressed in school. Should I ask my doctor to try to treat anxiety and see if my concentration goes up.
Old 02-08-10, 11:25 PM
Modulated

Thanked 6,893 Times in 2,971 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do I have ADHD or Anxiety???

You can have both. Perhaps you do.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
Old 02-08-10, 11:49 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,185 Posts
StoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant futureStoicNate has a brilliant future

Usually anti-anxiety meds make people sleepy/tired, that's what I heard.
Maybe a combo of stimulant and anti-anxiety meds might work. Go to your doctor and see what s/he'll say.

Dx: Adhd Combined type, Asperger's Syndrome, Mathematics Disability (10/4/10)..Panic Disorder, Atypical Depression, And Multiple Phobias.
Rx: Dexedrine IR 2.5-5 mg PRN (starting on 1/21/12).
Past meds: Namenda, Focalin IR, Ritalin IR, Adderall IR, D-Amp IR, Nicotine/Swedish Snus.
Boycott Teva/Barr, CorePharma, Mallinckrodt (Methylin)

REST IN PEACE
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-10, 08:18 AM

Trouskers is on a distinguished road

Very likely you have both. I was diagnosed with ADHD and Anxiety disorder about 7 years ago. Since then I have read that they go hand in hand, depression too. For anxiety I found Kava KAva helped when I was having major problems. Drinking camomille tea and lavender helps with anxiety as well. MY anxiety has calmed down a bit, now I am working on the adhd part.
Old 02-09-10, 10:00 AM
ADDvanced Member

Is there anything out there that won't make me tired that will work all the time? Instead of just taking it when I need it that way it can keep me at a certain level constantly. I know ssri's are used but I am afraid of the side effects that come with these.
Old 02-09-10, 10:08 AM

Thanked 6,755 Times in 3,451 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

well butrin, strattera
Old 02-11-10, 09:53 AM

Trouskers is on a distinguished road

coffee ha ha! that ups my anxiey though. I have been taking ltyrosine. still a little sleepy but focus is better and i am much calmer and happier. I drink green tea too.
Old 02-11-10, 10:28 AM

pipermac will become famous soon enough

I dont really think that sounds like anxiety, sounds more like stress, If your stress levels are higher at school it can definately affect your sex driver. You also say you didnt show many symptoms before high school? that would concern me a bit as the criteria to diagnose adhd says that the symptom need to have started by the age of 7. you also are only mentioning school. how are you symptoms outside of school? Another criteria is that the symptoms must affect your life in at least two areas, work/home/school.

Obviously I am not a Dr and my opinion is based on limited knowledge. But everything you have described could all be a direct result of stress. Stress will cause many of the same symptoms of ADHD.
Old 02-13-10, 10:12 AM
ADDvanced Member

The only difficulty I have is concentrating in school. I space out and I take adderall and it usually works but sometimes it doesn't so I'm not sure what"s going on. Im thinking of trying an ssri because to be honest the worst side effect of that are sexual side effects and I really cant get any worse.
Old 02-13-10, 10:15 AM

Thanked 6,755 Times in 3,451 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinfid12 View Post
The only difficulty I have is concentrating in school. I space out and I take adderall and it usually works but sometimes it doesn't so I'm not sure what"s going on. Im thinking of trying an ssri because to be honest the worst side effect of that are sexual side effects and I really cant get any worse.
im tellin you, give wellbutrin an honest go