ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Strattera
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Strattera (Atomoxetine HCI)

Old 02-13-10, 10:43 PM

jdadd is on a distinguished road
Strattera and Sexual Side Effects

So I just started strattera, not even a week, and the sexual side effects have hit me hard. I knew there was a possibility of these side effects but I didn't expect it to be this bad. I have a very hard time getting and keeping an erection now. Not only that but I'm also suffering from premature ejaculation. Top all that off with the fact that it is pretty painful right after I ejactulate. It's the trifecta of horrible sexual side effects.

Anyone else have experience with these side effects? Did they stick around until you dropped the med? If they went away, how long did they take? I'm trying to be patient with strattera but it has really killed my sex life. I've only been on strattera for 1 week at 40mg. I'm now increasing it to 80mg. So far I've yet to experience any positive effects. I know I'm supposed to be patient but I don't think I can handle dealing with these side effects for an extended period of time while waiting for some positive to come of it. I'm hoping to find something that will make it a bit easier for me to concentrate so I'm hoping maybe strattera is it and that these side effects are only temporary.

Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdadd For This Useful Post:
aarondev (07-26-10), meridian (02-14-10)
Old 02-14-10, 11:01 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,891 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Strattera and Sexual Side Effects

Really solid positive effects kicked in for me at 10 weeks. This after titrating up on the starter pack 24-40-60-80 and then moving up to RX at 100mg/day.

The painful ejaculation went away, the erectile "interference" went away too.

The only side effects left for me are 10% higher diastolic BP (that's the bottom number right?) cold fingers for a part of the day and dry-ish mouth at various times during the day.

The positives have far outweighed the negatives for me. But it is a process and takes some time for the body to adjust.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
The Following User Says Thank You to meridian For This Useful Post:
jdadd (02-15-10)
Old 02-15-10, 12:57 AM

jdadd is on a distinguished road

Good to know that there is someone out there who had a similar experience to me but got through it. Knowing that there's a possibility that it may go away gives me some hope.

The only positive I've noticed so far is that I wake up really early now. And yea, diastolic is the bottom number. That wouldn't be too bad for me if it went up as I have pretty low blood pressure.

Thanks for the input. Also, just curious but how long have you been on it now?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-10, 01:00 AM
ADDvanced Member

Garbanzo Dude is on a distinguished road

Meridian,

Trying eating a hand full of walnuts when the cold fingers kicks in and let me know how it works, someone told me about it and it seems to work. Also try a daily 30 min brisk walk daily for BP

The only side effects left for me are 10% higher diastolic BP (that's the bottom number right?) cold fingers for a part of the day and dry-ish mouth at various times during the day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garbanzo Dude For This Useful Post:
meridian (07-26-10)
Old 02-27-10, 02:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

willinabox is on a distinguished road

Im currently titrating up right now and I am at 40mg...

This drug seems to help however the sexual side effects are so far not worth it...Should I try to go up to 80-100 to see if they go away...or wait around on 40 to see if it goes away after a few weeks....Does anyone know if the sexual side effects wain on a lower or higher dose of Strat...
Old 04-24-10, 02:31 AM

MaMa Chameaux is on a distinguished road

I just received a prescription for Strattera but have not had it filled yet. Can anyone tell me how it affects women and sex drive?/
Old 04-24-10, 08:09 AM

forinstants will become famous soon enough

Drink lots of water. I mean, lots. The full daily recommended amount. It does help. I read on another website that it helps men too.
Old 05-17-10, 09:41 AM

rsjkpoints is on a distinguished road

I have been on anti deprssants for about 4 years and they have the same type of sexual side effect. Stick with it and they will go away. I know its difficult to weather the storm but the positives far outweigh the negatives.
Old 06-20-10, 01:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

Slapstick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdadd View Post
Good to know that there is someone out there who had a similar experience to me but got through it. Knowing that there's a possibility that it may go away gives me some hope.

The only positive I've noticed so far is that I wake up really early now. And yea, diastolic is the bottom number. That wouldn't be too bad for me if it went up as I have pretty low blood pressure.

Thanks for the input. Also, just curious but how long have you been on it now?
I'm on my starter pack (today is the first day that I am at 60 mg. I too have felt the slight burn after urinating, and the erection problem has been there as well (harder to keep it during sex).

This is day number 11 for me on Strattera. I'm not sure how my level of concentration has changed or not yet. My doctor said I may start to see a slight difference after 10 days. We'll see.
Old 06-20-10, 01:10 PM

Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,776 Posts
EshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant future

I only take 60 mg and there are no sexual side-effects.

peripatetic is nuts and I'm the squirrel.
Old 07-26-10, 07:52 PM
Contributor

aarondev will become famous soon enough

the sexual side effects waned for me at about 60. i titrated for
40 for 4 weeks
60 4-7 weeks
100 8-14 weeks

the waking up early got too much as well as the sexual side effects were a bit too much. waking up with an erection was absent as was any real response to the opposite sex.
Old 07-26-10, 08:21 PM

Thanked 6,891 Times in 2,968 Posts
meridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond reputemeridian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbanzo Dude View Post
Meridian,

Trying eating a hand full of walnuts when the cold fingers kicks in and let me know how it works, someone told me about it and it seems to work. Also try a daily 30 min brisk walk daily for BP
Somehow I missed the rest of this thread.

I'll try the walnuts, sounds interesting.

I lost some weight on Strattera and even more since Adderall (20 lbs all together), so my BP is now spectacularly good (110/80).

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Would you deny for others what you demand for yourself?” – U2

“The future ain't what it used to be.” – Yogi
Old 08-09-10, 07:05 AM

Myke is on a distinguished road

i have a painful ejaculation problems too. I have tried drinking natural ginseng and it helps...but i have a question if too much sex causes prostate cancer?
Old 06-02-12, 07:12 AM

mayza1 has disabled reputation

Ahhh the old painful ejaculation problems! Don't worry, not making fun, I've experienced this and it is the worst. However, I have tried many 'solutions'. For me, I found this pain and associated problems were due to a swelling of the prostate.

As a 21 year old male, this is less then ideal, especially because I was once a very horny little boy (typical??). Nonetheless, I have experimented to find solutions. For pain relief, try anti-inflametories, when it gets bad, I use the recommended dose for say 2-3 days. Makes a huge difference. I have also tried prostate massage. Awkward and painful at first, but the benefits were unbelievable. Pain was no longer a factor and the old boy started working like a treat.

As for the question of as to whether too much sex causes prostate cancer, everything I've ever read, too much sex does not cause prostate cancer. In fact, from my understanding, ejaculation is actually quite good for the prostate as it flushes out toxins etc. So from the way I see it, if you want to have a healthy prostate, whip it out and continue to have plenty of sex or masturbate to your hearts content.
Old 10-12-14, 04:56 PM

pollux78 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayza1 View Post
Ahhh the old painful ejaculation problems! Don't worry, not making fun, I've experienced this and it is the worst. However, I have tried many 'solutions'. For me, I found this pain and associated problems were due to a swelling of the prostate.

As a 21 year old male, this is less then ideal, especially because I was once a very horny little boy (typical??). Nonetheless, I have experimented to find solutions. For pain relief, try anti-inflametories, when it gets bad, I use the recommended dose for say 2-3 days. Makes a huge difference. I have also tried prostate massage. Awkward and painful at first, but the benefits were unbelievable. Pain was no longer a factor and the old boy started working like a treat.

As for the question of as to whether too much sex causes prostate cancer, everything I've ever read, too much sex does not cause prostate cancer. In fact, from my understanding, ejaculation is actually quite good for the prostate as it flushes out toxins etc. So from the way I see it, if you want to have a healthy prostate, whip it out and continue to have plenty of sex or masturbate to your hearts content.

Were you on Strattera when the prostate swelling and painful ejaculation started?