ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-16-10, 10:14 PM

kittykrewson is on a distinguished road
Adderall tiring my heart? lowered blood pressure

I've been on generic adderall for 6 months now. 20 mg of SR and 10 mg IR twice a day. Even though I have had great relief from my ADD symptoms such as focusing better, organizing my life better, staying on a budget, paying bills, keeping appointments, etc. I am having some concerns about its affect on my heart. Here is a quick list of the changes I've had physically since starting:

- lowered blood pressure- (the first month I had extremely high blood pressure and rapid heart rate but then it changed dramatically and by the time of my next dr appt my blood pressure dropped significantly. My normal bp before medication was 138/90 now it is 90/60.

-increased sweating
-weight decrease of 35 pounds
-weakness
-cold hands
-chest pain- ( very mild and is achy and heavy feeling)
-low body temperature (96.1 when usually 98.7)
-insomnia or very light sleep

As much as this medicine helps me I am concerned about my health. My dr told me that she thinks its because my stress level is down so my bp is down. I don't trust her because she gave me a high blood pressure medicine to help me with sleep even though mine is low and I had a very bad reaction. Anyone else have similar problems?
Old 02-17-10, 06:32 AM
Contributor

Wintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the rough
Re: Adderall tiring my heart? lowered blood pressure

Well it's awfully late (I'm in Portland too, and it's past 3am...) but I was just going to mention that Adderall can cause poor blood circulation, which I believe can be remedied with regular cardiovascular exercise.

Also, diet can be everything. If you lost that much weight make sure you're eating enough and eating decent food. When I don't eat for a while I become light-headed and get headrushes, and sometimes they'll hit all of a sudden when my last dose is wearing off.

The cold hands is from vasoconstriction and is normal. It's annoying, but relatively harmless. It's part of the fight-or-flight reaction. More of your blood is being sent to vital organs. In males this sometimes can be embarrassing, since our "member" can become smaller looking (same size erect though) and cold.

I know when I don't eat and especially when I don't sleep I always feel much colder than usual. I always figured it was from my body's metabolism slowing down to conserve energy. That might explain the low body temperature, since I think only cold extremities are associated with vasoconstriction.

Anyway, I hope that's some useful info. Apologies if that's not all 100% accurate, I am getting sleepy (finally) and my meds have long worn off. It should give you some things to search for in the forums though, until you find your answers.

And of course, talking to your doc (or maybe just "a doc" if you don't trust yours) is always the smart thing to do.
Old 02-17-10, 02:05 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

PedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of light

Everything wintermute said is 100% correct, even down to the "shrinkage" .

The fact that you lost 35lbs (though you give us no reference frame on your initial size, for example if you are 400lbs, 35 isn't that bad, if you are 165 now its REALLY bad) indicates that you are eatting less calories than your body needs day to day. You have to remember that the amphetamine CAN mask your hunger (and usually does for the first 3-6 months) so you have to MAKE yourself eat. It also helps with the comedown (racing mind after the meds are warn off, crankiness, foggy head, etc.) because many of the symptoms are due to low blood sugar.

In my experience, icreased sweating tends to vary based on the brand. For example, Barr made me sweat buckets while Sandoz is more or less normal.

The low blood pressure could be caused by your recent weight loss OR by the fact that amphetamines are diuretics and you are sort of dehydrated.

So to break down your symptoms:

Normal:
-cold hands
-increased sweating (can be depending on brand)
-insomnia or very light sleep (this can be made worse by not eating)
-low body temperature (96.1 when usually 98.7)

Caused by not eating enough:
-weight decrease of 35 pounds
-weakness
-insomnia or very light sleep

A bit worrisome and you should talk to your doctor:

-chest pain- ( very mild and is achy and heavy feeling)
-low blood pressure (though this could be caused by the loss of 35lbs too or the fact that amphetamines are diuretics).
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-10, 01:50 AM
ADDvanced Member

DarkCode is on a distinguished road

The thing that struck me about the blood pressure was, what about the possibility of the 35lbs lost reducing strain on the heart? Adderall, I feel strengthens my cardiovascular system by getting my HR up sometimes, and after I've been on it for a while I notice regardless of my workout routine at the time I'm more capable of endurance (running, etc) than I was before. I'm talking about when not on the drug obviously, because if I was on it then that's just an effect of the drug directly.

Do you workout as well?
Old 02-18-10, 11:14 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

I dont' fully understand what is going on in this convo. I have found when I take adderall that my bp is lowered a bit as well. I'm not sure if this is good bad or indifferent. I don't think it's a major issue but usually when I'm exercising using hitt ( training ) or circuit train I notice my bp after caffeine is about 115 or so when walking or jog running . When I take adderall its about 90 maybe 100.
Old 02-18-10, 01:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

DarkCode is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
I dont' fully understand what is going on in this convo. I have found when I take adderall that my bp is lowered a bit as well. I'm not sure if this is good bad or indifferent. I don't think it's a major issue but usually when I'm exercising using hitt ( training ) or circuit train I notice my bp after caffeine is about 115 or so when walking or jog running . When I take adderall its about 90 maybe 100.
Working out on Adderall is great. I don't notice my HR, but once I'm in shape I can run on it and be around 90bpm. I can't obviously take bp measurements, but when I'm running or I'm working out and I've taken 5mg of adderall previously (2-3 hours earlier) then maybe 1mg right before I head out. Then I'll feel a bit more calm and collected. I get into that focus on nothing and just do my exercises and it's great. I feel my whole body at that point seem strong but my heart isn't beating as fast. It's great, all the negative side-effects from adderall go away after you have an awesome workout. And all your left is the mental stimulation.
Old 02-18-10, 01:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

why can't you take hear pressure medications? The only thing I don't like about ritalin meds is if you workout and drink some caffeine in a sports drink you get chest tightness... I'm used to it but I'm sick of it too.... I think intuniv may be a option for me to balance that out Darkcode... I don't think intuniv affects the heart ... am i correct and I don't think it has the negative effect that serotonin meds have which interfere with dopamine and ne... Is that right?
Old 05-05-10, 01:01 PM

1980 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
Well it's awfully late (I'm in Portland too, and it's past 3am...) but I was just going to mention that Adderall can cause poor blood circulation, which I believe can be remedied with regular cardiovascular exercise.

Also, diet can be everything. If you lost that much weight make sure you're eating enough and eating decent food. When I don't eat for a while I become light-headed and get headrushes, and sometimes they'll hit all of a sudden when my last dose is wearing off.

The cold hands is from vasoconstriction and is normal. It's annoying, but relatively harmless. It's part of the fight-or-flight reaction. More of your blood is being sent to vital organs. In males this sometimes can be embarrassing, since our "member" can become smaller looking (same size erect though) and cold.

I know when I don't eat and especially when I don't sleep I always feel much colder than usual. I always figured it was from my body's metabolism slowing down to conserve energy. That might explain the low body temperature, since I think only cold extremities are associated with vasoconstriction.

Anyway, I hope that's some useful info. Apologies if that's not all 100% accurate, I am getting sleepy (finally) and my meds have long worn off. It should give you some things to search for in the forums though, until you find your answers.

And of course, talking to your doc (or maybe just "a doc" if you don't trust yours) is always the smart thing to do.
Hmm Maybe my EXTREME COLD GHANDS is a side effect of the adrl? It gets worse every year. If I am outside walking in the winter with 6 pair of gloves i still get cold. Its like a frost bitten painful. My hands actually turn white and blue ( i am black by the way) my fingernails turn blue as well. So,does exercise really help aleviate the side efects of cold hands in the winter?
You seem like you know a lot so forgive me if i am tackling you with questions. I AM WORRIED AND DEPRESSED ABOUT my b/p. Went to the Dr and b/p was 141/94. scary. It used to be 120/79. What is gong on? If i starve myself will this help? I hate that. The nurse was like " i have seen worse" I guess that was sopposed to make me feel better, but i am still worried. I amm 5" and 104. I am in my late 20's this is not sopposed to be happening. Please help. your insight is greartly appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 05-07-10, 11:37 PM

slouch is on a distinguished road

hey all - my first post.

re:blood pressure

i have (had, now it is under control on 20 mg lisinopril) high BP (~130's/90's) now it is 120'-110's/70's-80's.

i'm also taking a pretty low (15mg generic IR adderall) i had concerns about how this was going to effect my BP. got my pdoc talking with my GP and they have committed to communicating w/ each other and myself and adjusting doses of the above meds + others to keep BOTH add and BP under control.

long story short, you should be concerned about your BP, but not too much, as the anxiety will make it go higher. talk to your docs and get on a BP med that will help lower it. 140s/90s isn't that high, just slightly concerning, fwiw.