ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 02-18-10, 11:12 PM

DCadult-Inatt is on a distinguished road
Starting Projects / Tasks. . .Arggh

Once I get going on a project or task, I'm ok for a while, but just starting is a huge challenge. I'm either distracted or unmotivated. What has worked for folks? What are some strategies for just starting?
Old 02-18-10, 11:30 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,022 Times in 360 Posts
Schroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Starting Projects / Tasks. . .Arggh

It's the hardest thing to think about, but the easiest thing to do - break it down into bite-sized steps and clarify each step. It's the old adage - how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. The idea of breaking things down and clarifying them is daunting, but that's the only thing I've found that I'm really afraid of - the idea of doing that. I do it...and it's not too hard. Then the tasks themselves are stupid easy.

But I normally run around and try to do all of that processing in my head and it just nukes my brain. So for me, I fear the idea of doing the work to clarify it, but when I do it, it's not that bad, and then all of the tasks becoming ridiculously simple because of that clarification work I've done. So fwiw, give that a try.
cajunman (03-10-10), tessmesser (02-23-10)
Old 02-19-10, 12:23 AM

DCadult-Inatt is on a distinguished road

That's helpful. I think the biggest challenge is actually (sometimes) the impulse to start. Like tonight-- I haven't made or picked up anything for dinner. Hungry and will do it, but the impulse is missing. Or the impulse to decide? Wondering if this has to do with Executive Function challenges.

Off to eat an elephant.
The Following User Says Thank You to DCadult-Inatt For This Useful Post:
herekittykitty (05-01-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-10, 07:29 AM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,022 Times in 360 Posts
Schroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCadult-Inatt View Post
That's helpful. I think the biggest challenge is actually (sometimes) the impulse to start. Like tonight-- I haven't made or picked up anything for dinner. Hungry and will do it, but the impulse is missing. Or the impulse to decide? Wondering if this has to do with Executive Function challenges.

Off to eat an elephant.
For me, one thing that kills that super motivated impulse to do things is when the task or project switches from a "want to" to a "have to". Imagine your reaction to (1) going on a hot date out to dinner, vs. (2) after a long day of work/school, having to go home to make dinner and figure out what to make. One flicks the motivational lightswitch on, the other switches it off.

But if I can get excited about having to make dinner - if I saw something cool to make on the Food Network that's not horribly difficult, I can really look forward to that and get a lot of motivation. I think we attach ourselves to "glorious ideas", which provide the carrot to our motivation to bust through difficult/vague tasks to get those tasks done. But it's hard to keep that if you have to start thinking about keeping it, lol.
stef (02-19-10)