ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 02-23-10, 10:38 PM
Contributor

kalimba will become famous soon enough
Are there any things I should avoid while taking Adderall?

For example, caffeine, sugar, nicotine??
Old 02-23-10, 11:05 PM

Pyrrho has a spectacular aura aboutPyrrho has a spectacular aura about
Re: Are there any things I should avoid while taking Adderall?

Avoid caffeine, it has the same side-effects as Adderall and can easily increase the likelihood or severity of them (anxiety, shakiness, rapid heart rate). Caffeine will also make it harder to tell how effective the medication is.

I haven't really heard anything specific about sugar or nicotine + Adderall.
kalimba (02-23-10)
Old 02-23-10, 11:45 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

PedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of lightPedroDaGr8 is a glorious beacon of light

Acidic food and drinks and stuff containing vitamin C within +/- 2 hrs of when you take your dose.
The Following User Says Thank You to PedroDaGr8 For This Useful Post:
kalimba (02-24-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-10, 11:59 PM
Contributor

Wintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the roughWintermute is a jewel in the rough

If you smoke or use another product with nicotine in it Adderall will likely increase the desire for it, making the addiction worse. I started smoking much more after starting Adderall, but finally quit recently. Best decision I ever made.

Sugar is just as good/bad as it usually is, I think.

And yeah, caffeine is something to be careful with. It's very unlikely to kill you or anything, but it does have the power to seriously **** up your day. I used to drink these 300mg caffeine energy drinks like water on top of my morning coffee, and now I only have 1 cup of strong black coffee in the morning. The only other caffeine I get is from cola that I rarely drink. A little like that might not affect someone much unless they're very sensitive. But a large amount taken with Adderall, even to someone who usually tolerates a lot of caffeine, can cause a lot of unpleasant side effects.

Other things to avoid are acidic foods/drinks. If taken to close to the time you take your Adderall, the acidity can interfere with the Adderall, essentially making it less effective.

Lastly, be careful if you drink alcohol. Adderall can mask the effects of the alcohol, allowing you to drink more than you would usually. When it wears off though, you can suddenly feel the alcohol perfectly, and that can make you real sick real quick. Trust me.

Anything else should be in the medication info that you received with your prescription.
kalimba (02-24-10)
Old 02-24-10, 12:32 AM
Forum Guru

Grasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really niceGrasshoppaa is just really nice

I would take everyone else's advice about what to avoid until you are familiar with the medicine. At first I tried to avoid caffeine, acidic foods, dairy products, etc. but with time I figured out that none of them really make a difference (for me).

I sometimes purposely take caffeine with my Adderall to increase the potency, and I have heard of many other people doing the same, but I would just be careful until you know how they act together.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about the fun on this forum, please send a message to Metzfanaz in the complaint department.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grasshoppaa For This Useful Post:
kalimba (02-24-10)
Old 02-24-10, 01:22 AM
ADDvanced Member

Derven is a jewel in the roughDerven is a jewel in the roughDerven is a jewel in the rough

Avoid antacids, they can increase the drugs concentration in the bloodstream far higher then they are normally.
The Following User Says Thank You to Derven For This Useful Post:
kalimba (02-24-10)
Old 02-24-10, 02:04 AM
Contributor

kalimba will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
If you smoke or use another product with nicotine in it Adderall will likely increase the desire for it, making the addiction worse. I started smoking much more after starting Adderall, but finally quit recently. Best decision I ever made.

Sugar is just as good/bad as it usually is, I think.

And yeah, caffeine is something to be careful with. It's very unlikely to kill you or anything, but it does have the power to seriously **** up your day. I used to drink these 300mg caffeine energy drinks like water on top of my morning coffee, and now I only have 1 cup of strong black coffee in the morning. The only other caffeine I get is from cola that I rarely drink. A little like that might not affect someone much unless they're very sensitive. But a large amount taken with Adderall, even to someone who usually tolerates a lot of caffeine, can cause a lot of unpleasant side effects.

Other things to avoid are acidic foods/drinks. If taken to close to the time you take your Adderall, the acidity can interfere with the Adderall, essentially making it less effective.

Lastly, be careful if you drink alcohol. Adderall can mask the effects of the alcohol, allowing you to drink more than you would usually. When it wears off though, you can suddenly feel the alcohol perfectly, and that can make you real sick real quick. Trust me.

Anything else should be in the medication info that you received with your prescription.
You think I can focus long enough to read the 7 page pamphlet my pharmacist gave me? lol.

But seriously, I did read/skim most of it, I just figured I would try to get responses from some actual people instead of just words typed on a pamphlet.

Oh and the pharmacist was nasty to me. She was like, 'you're 28? and you need adderall?' Then she asked me if it was for my child (don't have any that I know of) and insinuated that I was a junkie looking for a fix.

That really irritated me.

Actually so far I've only smoked 5 cigarettes since taking it about 10 hours ago. Normally, I smoke about 1 cigarette an hour.
Old 02-24-10, 02:16 AM
ADDvanced Member

Rune will become famous soon enough

Man. Your nice...I would have told her to get F***ed. I cant wait till the first time I OC into a pharmacy to get my Adderall. Its going to be funny as hell. But back on subject. Obviously avoid caffeine intake with Adderall. Cup of coffee, tea, is fine. Avoid Energy drinks. Ask me how I know. Ive found that I have a majore sugar fascination now. M&Ms all the time. Good/Bad...who knows. They are good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rune For This Useful Post:
kalimba (02-24-10)
Old 02-24-10, 08:42 AM

Tinfoilxtouch is on a distinguished road

Perhaps it's that 2-3 daily cans of diet coke has been my norm for years, but caffeine doesn't seem to do any more than it would on its own.

Smoking- this is an interesting one. I actually think it's GREATLY reduced my desire for nicotine. I used to smoke cigars once or twice a week, perhaps bum a cigarette off a friend if we're sitting out at Starbucks. I noticed a slight decrease in my enjoyment of said items when I started Wellbutrin (a labeled indication). When I started Adderall, which works in much the same way as Wellbutrin, I lost ALL desire for smoking, even once a week if a good cigar comes my way.

People are right when they say avoid anything like antacids or other stomach meds. They can really ruin the natural pattern for how the drug is processed, takes effect, and is eliminated from your system. It might make it less effective. It might make it stronger. It might make it last twice as long, or half as long. Not worth the risk unless you have a serious stomach problem and talk to your Doc first.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinfoilxtouch For This Useful Post:
kalimba (02-24-10)