ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Medications for Co-Existing Conditions > Anti-Depressants
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-05, 08:07 PM

stg3131 is on a distinguished road
Lexapro totally made me worse. I had to stop after one dosage.
Old 01-02-06, 09:41 PM
ADDvanced Member

Prairiewind is on a distinguished road
I realized that while on Lexapro, for me there were too many ups and downs. I'm on Effexor now which is smooth sailing.
Old 01-02-06, 10:18 PM
Contributor

Chadwick has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by stg3131
Lexapro totally made me worse. I had to stop after one dosage.
With SSRI's you have to wait a while to get positive benefits. They appear to work through neurogenesis. You don't get that overnight. You should have reduced your dose to about 5 mg, stayed there for a month, and then escalated to 10 mg.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-07, 10:27 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

VisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really nice
Good and not good-

I had high hopes for this med after researching and reading up on it. But there are 2 side-effects that are not going away and throwing me for a loop-did not have them on other SSRI's.

So I am not sure the Lexapro is the best med for me unfortunately. I have given it 1.5 weeks, but am still too dizzy to take walks and am so sleepy everyday. Will titrate up improve the depression and make the 2 side-effects that are really bothering me worse? I am on the standard dosage-so it may be time to change SSRI's-wish I could just find the one that works best for me.

They say these effects wear off, but tis weird-even the stims don't affect the sleepiness. I am not a napper either. And they have not improved, just stayed the same. I have some balance problems naturally-so this may be the reason for dizziness-and if so, will not go away is my guess.

I also find that I can tell when it wears off, about 2-4 hours before time for the next dose-very tough to deal with.

Few other side effects, appetite is a bit better, helps me sleep very well at night, but I have to be able to walk and get my exercise!
Old 03-22-07, 01:00 AM

VisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really nice
Bumping-not, just update:

See doctor tomorrow. Still very dizzy, can't do much physically due to the lightheadedness. Have developed the tenseness experienced with several other SSRI's plus have shakes and muscle twitches at times. Trazodone makes all this much worse at 25mg in the pm. Perhaps it is this class of drugs that causes all this. I also notice that some aspects of the depression are better, eating mood is not so down but the improvement is very slow for me-not what the label says.

I just don't react normally to SSRI's it seems.

Does anyone else have experience with this med? All the company hype had me hopeful, but it is not to be.
Old 04-13-07, 02:51 PM

Litho is on a distinguished road
I've been on Lexapro(10mg) for just over two weeks now. After the first week I couldn't believe the difference. My mind actually could a chieve a quiet state which I have never to my recollection experienced. I was able to get to sleep as soon as going to to bed. I have mild hot flashes and inability to climax, but those are tolerable for now.

This third week, however, I seem to be reverting to my former state of mind, plus the side-effects, plus I am exhausted and yawning constantly. I have a followup on Tuesday and eagerly anticipate the Doc's reccommendation.
Old 11-29-07, 10:56 PM

newtoclarity will become famous soon enough
Re: Lexapro Physician Information Sheet Link

I have a question about adderall dosage --- can anyone give me advice? I take 10mg XR in the morning and another 10 mg XR about 1:30 PM. I find it wears off at about 5. Today I took a third dose and feel great. Does anyone else take three doses of 10 mg XR? I see a lot of people have to tweak their dosage to make it right...
Old 08-11-09, 04:17 PM
ADDvanced Member

willinabox is on a distinguished road

haha WHY did you ask that in the Lexapro Physician Info threat
Old 08-11-09, 04:42 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

he's probably gone hommie, he asked in 2007
Old 02-25-10, 11:02 AM
ADDvanced Member

letsrockit will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Lexapro Physician Information Sheet Link

I have been on Lexapro for 3.5 weeks now.

The first 2.5 weeks it was hell - I got sooo much more depressed and anxious - I was ready to say screw it and cut off the medication all together.

However, my doc had warned me up front that the first few weeks might be rough - but to stick with it and not give up on it.

It takes about 4 weeks before you start seeing the improvements - prior to that you can expect some not-so-great days.

I am happy to say that I have now seen consistent improvement for the past week! My outlook on life is SO MUCH BRIGHTER!!!

I feel happy. Things that once agitated me and made me angry don't anymore! I don't get as upset about things anymore - It's quite amazing! I feel SOOOO much better.

I would advise anyone who is taking this med to not give up on it until you have taken it for 4 weeks - it takes patience and persistence - but it was completely worth it to me!

p.s. I take a high dose of concerta with Lex...that may play a factor in the feel-goodness of my brain chemistry too
The Following User Says Thank You to letsrockit For This Useful Post:
AddaptAbilities (01-05-11)
Old 01-03-12, 08:47 PM

dailystruggle is on a distinguished road

Has anyone taken lexapro and vyvanse and been on them for a while? I am interested to hear about other's experiences with the two taken in combination.

I am 20 years old and I have been on vyvanse for about 10 months now and it has really helped to control my severe ADHD symptoms. In the past I have been on many different SSRI's and other mood stabilizers (for major depression/anxiety) which I didn't find very effective but I also wasn't diagnosed for ADHD until about 10 months ago when I started vyvanse, and I was also somewhat "forced" if you will into taking them by my parents and I think I didn't believe they'd help or even want them to. My depression and anxiety are pretty constant but I am used to them so I just "deal" with it. I finally decided to re-address this and I thank vyvanse for helping me to become so much more self aware and I am going to start lexapro soon. Anyone with feedback on the two please let me know!
Old 02-05-12, 04:42 PM

Mom4kids is on a distinguished road

Hi
I had a question, I have been on Lexapro for 4 years now , just went up to 20mg at night. I got off Adderral XR 2 months ago after I felt I couldn't settle down and was too hyped up but exhausted and felt I needed to try to get it out of my system to determine what was going on , I am excessively tired and sleep during the day, with little energy and interest doing much. I am finding that my excess spending and disorganization has gotten worst since stopping the meds , but I can't be hyped all day and then push my body to get things done because of the Adderral is driving me. Ugh
I cant get to sleep until after midnight often up intil thr wee hours. Had been also taking Trasadone at night, thought that was the reason for being tired , but still can't get going until around 3 pm . I have taken a leave from work because of the tiredness . I don't feel like socializing with people other than my husband.
My question is has anyone experienced these side effects ? And what helped you personally And any professional recommendations ?
Please don't flame me
Old 02-29-12, 06:13 AM
Contributor

eeilyk has a spectacular aura abouteeilyk has a spectacular aura about

I'm on Lexapro currently and if i have it after 4pm, i can't sleep. Take it in the morning, much better.
Old 09-28-12, 08:58 AM

Jonzozer is on a distinguished road

Day 1 of lexapro for me was a living hell. Day 2 and on have been pretty good. The only noticeable side effect I have really experienced is a delayed ejaculation which has given me a little anxiety about that. Other than that for my self it's way better than dosing Xanax several times a day.
Old 10-07-12, 09:57 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice
Re: Lexapro, the good and the bad

Lex stinks . It's just terrible . Effexor and cymbalta are way better

"The Focalin King"