ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 03-03-10, 12:09 AM
Contributor

Nick is just really niceNick is just really niceNick is just really niceNick is just really nice
Vyvanse vs. Adderall: less anxiety with Vyvanse?

I used to take Adderall, and it gave me bad anxiety. I am looking for ways to take Adderall again, but using other medications along with it to help get rid of the anxiety.

How does Vyvanze compare to Adderall? Is there less anxiety with it?

Also, does it stimulate enough? I am trying to find the right balance. I tried Concerta, and it made me feel like a zombie and made my thinking horrible.
Old 03-03-10, 08:50 PM
Contributor

Tabbycat is a name known to allTabbycat is a name known to allTabbycat is a name known to allTabbycat is a name known to allTabbycat is a name known to allTabbycat is a name known to all
Re: Vyvanse vs. Adderall: less anxiety with Vyvanse?

I had less anxiety w/Vyvanse than w/Adderall, but still too much anxiety for me. For me the Vyvanse was a lot smoother though. I'm going to try Strattera but may end up back on Vyvanse if the Strattera doesn't work.

Dx at 38: ADD w/depression, anxiety & severe sense of humor
Old 03-04-10, 03:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADHD Ceilidh is on a distinguished road

First of all by definition adderall causes the most possible anxiety due to the L form salts. Vyvanse or dex should be much better. For me, my first anxiety free vacation of my adult life happened after 2 weeks on Intuniv. It was like night and day. The combo of vyvanse and intuniv has really helped me alot but of course everyone is different and ymmv.

SSRIs were awful for me and never helped. Given the common reported side effects in men I wouldn't touch strattera with a 12 foot pole. I don't work for shire or anything but I'm doing better than i have in a long time on the combo of vyvanse and intuniv.

Good luck.
Of course, you should discount everything I just wrote until you independently research it on your own and verify it's validity. Nothing written by me should be interpreted as specific medical advice or replace the recommendations of your doctor. My advice on this forum is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease. If you feel you have a medical emergency, hang up and dial 911.

Last edited by ADHD Ceilidh; 03-04-10 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: iPhone shenanigans
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-10, 04:23 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

I don't see how intuniv is helpful. I've read nothing positive about it and literally there is nothing to see on the reviews of this medication. How could it possibley help attention if it's sedating. According to studies no cognitive improvement was shown.
Old 03-04-10, 04:37 PM

Diane 1986 will become famous soon enough

In my personal experience, Vyvanse has infinitely less anxiety than Adderall. In that respect, it's like night and day, and Vyvanse is the CLEAR winner- less anxiety and just as effective as Adderall. If I ever find a short-acting version of Vyvanse, I'll never take Adderall again!
Old 03-04-10, 05:01 PM

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

dexedrine is the short acting version of vyvanse. ?????
Old 03-05-10, 06:44 AM
ADDvanced Member

Yes Hollywood. Vyvanse us just gussied up dex. And intuniv helps anxiety a lot in me, most likely because my anxiety is secondary to undertreated ADHD. It works by turning off my mental overworry and overplanning to allow me to focus on the moment at hand, in generic terms. It is a bit sedating but not in the way that benzos or even SSRIs were for me. Since I take it with a stim the sedation is a non issue for me and they are really synergistic. Sometimes science takes some time to catch up with reality ad far as research goes. I may be an outlier and I agree I would be really interested in hearing other opinions about Intuniv besides mine. If they would get around to making the forum thread that would be a start. I've asked like 3 times now but no thread thus far. We may here more about it once they get FDA approval for adults and more people go on it.
Of course, you should discount everything I just wrote until you independently research it on your own and verify it's validity. Nothing written by me should be interpreted as specific medical advice or replace the recommendations of your doctor. My advice on this forum is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease. If you feel you have a medical emergency, hang up and dial 911.
Old 03-05-10, 09:30 AM
ADDvanced Member

Yes Hollywood. Vyvanse is just gussied up dex. And intuniv helps anxiety a lot in me, most likely because my anxiety is secondary to undertreated ADHD. It works by turning off my mental overworry and overplanning to allow me to focus on the moment at hand, in generic terms. It is a bit sedating but not in the way that benzos or even SSRIs were for me. Since I take it with a stim the sedation is a non issue for me and they are really synergistic. Sometimes science takes some time to catch up with reality as far as research goes. I may be an outlier though and I agree I would be really interested in hearing other opinions about Intuniv besides mine. If they would get around to making the forum thread that would be a start. I've asked like 3 times now but no thread thus far. We may hear more about it once they get FDA approval for adults and more people go on it.
Old 03-05-10, 09:40 AM

Thanked 17,450 Times in 7,287 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

This whole psychiatric medication thing is still an inexact science. For me, Vyvanse caused more anxiety than Adderall ever did, because it made me focus on things I didn't want to focus on. It's my daughters' jobs to empty and load the dishwasher, and they hadn't done it one morning. When the Vyvanse kicked in, no matter what I was trying to get done, I kept stopping and walking into the kitchen, staring at the dishwasher full of clean dishes and the sink full of dirty ones, compelled to go there like an automaton, and unable to do anything else until I had done the girls' work for them. . .by the end of the day, I felt so incredibly anxious because I was so devoid of autonomy.

Adderall, on the other hand, not only allows me to choose my focus, but causes fewer side effects physically for me. Contrary to what is supposed about Vyvanse, for me it caused horrible heart palpitations, rapid heartbeat, tics and tremors, that even 60mg of Adderall XR never did, even though Vyvanse is supposed to be "gentler" and "smoother".

The important thing is to be open to trying something, and being aware of what effects and side effects are potentially dangerous, if/when they'll go away, and whether the positives of the drug FOR YOU outweigh the negatives. Every single medication has people who love it, and people who hate it. Some people combine medications and have success, while others need to combine different ones.

If you try the Vyvanse and it gives you less anxiety than Adderall, then yes, Vyvanse causes less anxiety for you. If it doesn't, then all it means is that you need to try something else to see if it causes less anxiety, or see if your doctor can find something to add on that will counteract it. You can get a lot of good information from other people's experiences, but you might not experience the same thing. So you just keep trying, advocate for yourself with the doctor, keep close track of what is happening to you mentally and physically while you're taking meds, and (IMHO) change only one at a time so you know which one is doing what.
Old 03-05-10, 10:51 AM

Yeah I had the same experience with vyvanse. When the medication was released it was like some euphoric high.... I don't like feeling that way and it gave me heart palps as well.
Old 03-17-10, 11:30 AM

mhoveybyrd is on a distinguished road

I can honestly say that I felt there was a big difference in the anxiety level I got in Adderall Xr compared to Vyvanse. On Vyvanse, there was NONE...smooth come down at the end of the day! Adderall Xr makes me jittery and gives me anxiety when it wears off, but I also get prescribed Xanax, so that helps. I just recently got my doctor to switch me back to Vyvanse, and I'm looking forward to getting my script and starting back on it this Friday!!! I can't deal with Adderall Xr. I was taking the generic version of Adderall Xr and paying the same price as I was paying for Vyvanse 70 mg.!!
Old 03-17-10, 01:33 PM

Pyrrho has a spectacular aura aboutPyrrho has a spectacular aura about

Here's what I personally felt.

30-60mg Adderall
(varied due to schedule): Great focus but occasionally somewhat severe anxiety. The anxiety didn't stop me from going about my normal routine, but I could feel very jittery and it did prevent me from participating in classes / discussions sometimes. Something as simple as answering a question made me feel unusually nervous while on Adderall, as though I were about to give an important speech in front of a big crowd. Rapid heart rate also became an issue for me on Adderall.

120mg Vyvanse (currently taking): I actually feel less anxious and more confident for some reason, but 120mg still hasn't helped noticeably improve my ability to focus during classes. I never experience the rapid heart rate that I did with Adderall, and for some reason things like public speaking don't even phase me when I'm taking the Vyvanse. Normally I'd get a little nervous (like everyone), on Adderall I got extremely nervous (pretty bad), and on Vyvanse I feel like I could give the next Inaugural Address without breaking a sweat... odd, but I don't see any reason to complain

I'm really hoping a higher dose of Vyvanse will provide the same gains that Adderall did in terms of focus, but I'm a little pessimistic at this point since I'm taking 120mg and very few people seem to need 140mg+