ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-06-10, 05:41 PM

Newby2010 is on a distinguished road
Generic Adderall XR (Dextroamp-amphet ER)

I was prescribed Dextroamp-amphet ER 20mg. I started yesterday and felt the effects within 20 minutes, but after reading numerous blogs and forums of people my age and taking the same medication and dosage, they say it takes about a week to feel the full affects. Does anybody know for sure if this is the case.
Old 03-06-10, 07:33 PM
Contributor

Scarletta has a spectacular aura aboutScarletta has a spectacular aura about
Re: Generic Adderall XR (Dextroamp-amphet ER)

It wasn't for me. From the time I took my first pill (I started on Adderall IR), I felt the effects within a half hour.

In fact, stimulants, especially the IR ones, go to work immediately and do not require weeks of a steady blood level of drug, like most antidepressants do.

They are more like aspirin- can be taken when needed to get quick relief. Even the extended release ones work right away, it just is a slower release over a few hours rather than an immediate, all at once,release. So the onset is smoother, and the crash, if any, is less of a problem.

But, it is true, that for some people, the side effects are very noticeable right away,and it may take a week or two for your body to adjust. It's not that the drug hasn't started working (since it does immediately), it's that your system may need to get accustomed to it.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-07-10, 01:36 PM
Contributor

pembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nice

Yes, I was trying to explain this to a friend the other day.

He knew I was having a lot of problems with my current medication, so I told him I was probably going to be switching to a new one on Monday.

He said, "it'll take you a couple of months to build up and start working, though, right?"

I said, "nope, I'll be able to tell you Monday afternoon if it's going to work."

Of course, that's not entirely true, since dosage and all of that has to be worked out on a new medication, plus side effects might start right away or might take a couple day (though side effects usually subside pretty quickly too).

But yeah. I felt it work the very first time I ever took it.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-10, 01:38 PM
Contributor

pembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nicepembliss is just really nice

And I should add: that's the advantage to our medications. And it's a pretty great advantage. Stimulants can have MORE than their fair share of problems.

But at least it doesn't take months to notice even subtle differences like with most medications (anti-depressants, etc.)
Old 03-09-10, 03:59 AM

ADHDpunk is on a distinguished road

Back when the generic Adderall XR (Dextro Amp Ampheter or whatever) first came out (to my knowledge it was during April 2009, I developed sleep apnea or some kind of sleep disorder where it felt as if I stopped breathing in my sleep for about 2 months before I tried a different version. Now I am back and using the name brand again, no problems thus far besides the crappy price.

I still have yet to find someone else who specifically said that the switch to DextroAmp Ampheter gave them the same kind of effects it gave me, namely the sensation that you have stopped breathing in the night (over and over).
I do see some people saying that it made them feel tired and ****ty and i can definitely relate to that.