ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 03-08-10, 01:25 PM

Realmom1 is on a distinguished road
Post Intuniv-Our Experience

Background: Anna is 10 1/2 years old and was diagnosed ADHD at age 8. She is a hyperactive and not an inattentive. She cannot sit still and often acts as though she has restless leg all over her body. We have been through the gamit of ADHD drugs and found that Vyvanse was our preferred drug with the least amount of side effects. We started at 15 mg and took that does until the 20mg came out. Starting last year we noticed that it was not working as long and that we were having a lot of rebound hyperactivity. in October we moved her up to the 30 mg and about 3 weeks ago up to 40mg. At home we have adjusted somewhat to the hyperactivity but it is becoming a problem when at slumber parties. It is also becoming a problem in that she feels like she wants to 'crawl out of her skin' and has to run around at night to release the energy. I noticed that at 40 mgs the side effects were more pronounced. Also she is rather small for her age.

Now, having researched on here and other sites we have decided to incorporated Intuniv. Our pediatrician has only tried the drug on 4 other kids and none have remained due to sleepiness or low blood pressure. We are keeping Anna on Vyvanse for now but started the Intuniv 4 days ago. We began at 1mg in the morning but also lowered her Vyvanse from 40 to 30mg. I did notice some aggitation this weekend but that may be from the dosage lowering of the Vyvanse and not the Intuniv. Really so far we have had no sleepiness and I cannot tell any difference in the way she behaves. I have notified her teachers to watch for any side effects and so far Anna can't tell that she has taken anything different.

On Thursday I will have to take her in for a BP check and then Friday we will bump up to the 2mg.

I just wanted to share our experience because I know it is hard to start a new drug when you have tried all the rest. Also with us she is does not have problems at school and is academically advanced so the teachers dont see what we see after school and on weekends. If it doesn't affect their class then they dont understand. A few didn't even know Anna took ADHD meds.

As a side note: we also have an 8yo son who is also ADHD. His manifests itself more as inattention and aggression/frustration. He is on Dexedrine 5mg. I may consider Intuniv for him also if it works well for Anna. Only one kid at a time.
Old 03-08-10, 04:25 PM
Contributor

qanda has a spectacular aura aboutqanda has a spectacular aura about
Re: Intuniv-Our Experience

I hope it all works out. Keep us updated.
Old 03-10-10, 10:19 AM

Day 6-1mg
Last night Anna was extremely tired and went to bed early. She just could not keep her eyes open. Of course I immediately start thinking of all the bad things that could be happening. I did notice she has a stuffy nose though so it could be that she is just coming down with a cold. I will take her in for a blood pressure check tomorrow then Friday we increase to 2mg.

LA
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-10, 10:21 AM

Acombs is on a distinguished road

Hey, I'm the one you talked to last night and signed up for this forum... and searched intuniv and saw your post ! I am going to ask my dr about this the next time we go in for a med check... if not a sooner appt... can you take it along with daytrana?
Old 03-10-10, 12:03 PM

Yes, Intuniv works on a different part of the brain and can help calm parts of the brain that the stimulant can irritate. I wont go into all the neuotransmitter mumbo-jumbo but that is my understanding of it.

When we got home last night Anna just could not keep her eyes open which is highly unusual for her. It had me concerned but this morning she seemed fine. She does seem to have the beginnings of a cold or seasonal allergies. We will see how she is doing tonight.

Oh I will forewarn you, our insurance does not cover Intuniv at all because it is too new. The old short acting version is called Tenex and it is covered but it is not 24 hours. Intuniv is about $4.75 a pill. Right now we are on the trial bottles.

LA
Old 03-10-10, 01:53 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

I don't know ? but the more I think about it the more I know that it is key to get the proper combo on these meds. Ie, the addition of wellbutrin, lexapro or cymbalta if needed are essential for the long term benefits of treatment.
Old 03-10-10, 03:34 PM

Yeah it is really hard to experiment to find that right dosage/combo that helps and does not harm. Expecially with growing kids. Seems that when we think we have it figured out, they grow or change and it is almost like starting over.

LA
Old 03-15-10, 01:26 PM

Post Re: Intuniv-Our Experience

Day 11 on Intuniv
Day 4 on 2mg

Have not noticed any change in behavior or lessening in hyperactivity. She talked non-stop all weekend.

I have noticed that at bedtime she is out within a few minutes. Now, seeing as this was not a huge problem to begin with, it is not a big benefit to us. For those who need the help with sleeping, I see this would be very beneficial. I have noticed a little more talking in her sleep but she is a sleep-talker anyway so I can't say this is an Intuniv side effect.

Blood pressure was normal on Friday which was the first day of dosage increase.

LA
Old 03-15-10, 06:23 PM

Acombs is on a distinguished road

Hi, This is acombs the local mom from H's party... ha. I called our ped and started the 1mg trial bottle on Thursday night ! So far, let's see she's had 4 doses... he recommended starting it by giving it at night with dinner or around that time in case it made her tired. I've not noticed sleepiness yet. Hard to comment for sure about whether or not it's calmed her at all... but I want to say it might be making the mornings better? So hesitant to say something yet. I cannot say how thankful our paths crossed and this topic was brought up... I was just clueless that I could expect more from medication than what I was using so far ! For instance, right now she is looking for a nintendo ds game that she has misplaced and she is NOT freaking out yet that she can't find it. I pray this helps us all.
Old 03-15-10, 09:04 PM

Good! It is my understanding that Intuniv takes about 12 hours for peak effectiveness. For us that would be getting sleepy at about 6-7 at night since we take it in the morning. If you notice she has trouble getting up in the morning you might move it to mornings. I really didn't notice anything for the week we took 1mg. Unfortunately she has been rather sleepy the past few days at around that 12 hour mark but we will stay for at least a month to see if that is a problem we overcome. Tonight she fell asleep at 6 and I had to get her up for dinner.

Another good website is the corepsych.org website. I have spent hours reading up on Intuniv at that site. It is quite the information overload and I am trying to weed through the info to see if we need to do some additional testing for Anna(and also for David). It seems from what I have read there that her allergy/asthma issues may play into the ADHD issues. We have already been through SO MANY tests though I hesitate to pay for anything more.

I am going to try to send you a personal message with my email so we can keep up with our progress. It was just MEANT for us to meet at Chuck E Cheese. Ha Ha!!
Old 03-16-10, 11:03 PM

LWD01915 is on a distinguished road

I'm watching Realmom1's experience with Intuniv because, ironically enough, our 10 and 1/2 year old son is going to start it tomorrow. He has ADHD but also is bipolar and I'm hoping that Intuniv can help his focus but also the aggression and rage he experiences.
Old 03-17-10, 03:39 PM

Day 13- Day 6 of 2mg

I am beginning to wonder if Intuniv is worth our trouble. Our daughter does not have any aggression, anger, or irritablility. Which is what I see a lot of you are using Intuniv for. She is just really hyper. So far, we have not seen any change in that behavior. I asked her yesterday if she was feeling any different, the answer was no, she didn't feel any different. Last night she talked non-stop and had trouble falling asleep.

I know we are only on week 2 and I need to give it more time. Friday we will start on 3mg. It will be hard for me to keep up with her reactions as we will be traveling for a week. I plan to keep her on 3mg for 2 weeks to see if there is any difference when we get back from our trip.

On another note we will be trying Melatonin with my son who is 8. He has a LOT of trouble going to slep at night. The more I read about Intuniv the more I think he may benefit from it more than my daughter. He has more problems with aggression and frustration, and of course insomnia. It stinks that I didn't do a trial with my son too. Maybe next ped visit we will discuss it. Though it will be $149 for each 30 day rx. That would be another $300 a month if they both take it.

LA
Old 03-19-10, 09:11 AM
ADDvanced Member

ADHD Ceilidh is on a distinguished road

Thought I might chime in as an adult on Intuniv. I was diagnosed recently as combined type and all my life have been anxious due to ADHD that was never recognized or treated. I take Vyvanse and/or Dexedrine as a stimulant along with Intuniv and for me the combination is remarkable. It has been life changing. I have to agree that taking Intuniv at night is likely to increase daytime sleepyness as the drug has about a 17 hour half life so morning would be better in theory. However, after 4-5 days on a new dose this difference likely would be negligible as one would reach a steady state. I hope it works out for your children. I can only imagine how my teen and young adult years would have been different if I had these meds back then... But as always, ymmv. Keep us posted.
Of course, you should discount everything I just wrote until you independently research it on your own and verify it's validity. Nothing written by me should be interpreted as specific medical advice or replace the recommendations of your doctor. My advice on this forum is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease. If you feel you have a medical emergency, hang up and dial 911.

Last edited by ADHD Ceilidh; 03-19-10 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: iPhone shenanigans
Old 03-25-10, 08:49 AM
ADDvanced Member

JenSMP has a spectacular aura aboutJenSMP has a spectacular aura about

Realmom1,

Our doctor just prescribed Intuniv as a supplement to Concerta for my 6 year old son. The Concerta works wonders for about 6 hours. After that, he continues to have good focus, but his impulsive behaviors begin to emerge around 1:30 in the afternoon. For him, that means he has a very short fuse when it comes to frustration or interaction with other kids. Basically, he overreacts to small conflicts or difficulty dealing with frustration. He's a perfectionist, so if he can't do something right immediately or has trouble grasping a concept, he has no patience and has a mini meltdown. Before 1:30, he controls those impulses very well with absolutely no meltdowns at all.

So, our doctor wants him to start Intuniv to help with the impulsivity, anxiety, frustration, "short fuse" kind of behaviors. She did mention that while it's not really meant for focus, it does help with hyperactivity.

Have you considered a short acting stimulant for the afternoon to combat the rebound effect your daughter is experiencing? That will be our next step if we find that the Intuniv doesn't help.

On a side note, our doctor also only wants our son to take 1mg. She didn't mention anything about ramping up to a higher dose of Intuniv. My son has been pretty sensitive to stimulant meds so far, and he only weights about 48 lbs. So, maybe it has something to do with that. It just sounds to me like 1mg isn't really a long-term therapeutic dose even for kids, right?
Old 03-25-10, 01:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

personally, a medication that helps with the pns symptoms of physical anxiety and calms other related stimulant side effects and does not have serotonin would be great for helping adhd stims work better and with less side effects. What I don't know about intuniv is how the sedation compares comparied to ssri's or snri's .