ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Scientific, Philosophical & Theoretical Discussions > Science in the Media
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Science in the Media This forum is for articles and stories of scientific importance; open discussion is encouraged

Old 03-09-10, 08:33 PM
Nondescript Moderator

Thanked 6,566 Times in 2,692 Posts
APSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond repute
NVLD and the DSM-V

I've been meaning to look into this topic since I heard that the proposed changes for the DSM V had been made available, but never got around to it. I had assumed, almost as a matter of course, that Non-verbal learning disability, or something equivalent would be included, as it's pretty clearly a distinct disorder which can't be subsumed under any other, and to date has had to be shoe-horned in as "Learning disability-NOS"

My specific diagnosis, actually, says "Learning Disability NOS-Visual Memory Impairment". The only accounts I've read of social functioning issues with which I can completely identify are those written by others 'diagnosed' with NVLD.

Today I came across this blog post:
http://onefootonthespectrum.wordpres.../09/dsm-v-wtf/

Quote:
Go on the DSM-V website and search for NLD. Can you find it anywhere? Nope, neither can I! You see, NLD has never been recognized by the DSM, despite the fact that it’s clearly a real disability. Most people were certain that NLD would finally make it into the DSM-V. But it is nowhere to be found, again. And that’s why I hate the DSM. Although the DSM isn’t the only diagnostic guideline, it’s a mammoth one and it carries a lot of weight in the psychiatric community. If something isn’t in the DSM, it generally doesn’t get much recognition or attention. And that’s a huge part of why NLD is so obscure, unknown, and under-diagnosed. Few people know what NLD is, there’s very little research being done about it, and it’s very hard to get support because there’s no diagnostic code. So, since NLD isn’t officially on the autism spectrum yet, the DSM should include it as its own disability. Then all of us with NLD might finally get some recognition and support!
I was sure he must be mistaken, so I did go to the site:http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx
where I discovered that not only was 'non-verbal learning disability' not added, but 'learning disability-nos' was removed, and brought under the umbrella of 'learning disabilities' which will be defined as difficulties with "accurate and fluent reading, writing, and arithmetic"

While I did struggle with math, this diagnosis really isn't suitable as a diagnosis for NVLD, a disorder which manifests itself primarily in social functioning. in other words, they're taking away the means by which mental health professionals had diagnosed people with the group of symptoms which are frequently referred to as constituting a 'non-verbal learning disability'

Is it in there somewhere, and I just overlooked it? Does anyone have any idea of the rationale behind this? It's really hard to imagine that this isn't going to be addressed at all, but if it's not, perhaps the inclusion of a diagnostic code for "Other" would be a good idea.

Edit:

In looking for more information on this, I came across this report from a DSM-V conference on Autism and Other Pervasive Developmental Disorders, where I found the following quote:
Quote:
The seventh panel addressed the question of how does comorbidity affects symptoms of Autism? In her introduction to the panel, Sally Rogers, Ph.D., (Sacramento, CA) noted that other developmental disorders occur commonly with autism (e.g., up to 86% also have non-verbal learning disorders)
How interesting! So, they found that people with Autism also sometimes have a disorder whose existence they have not, and will not, acknowledge? Did they just overlook its omission? I find this all quite confusing.

Last edited by APSJ; 03-09-10 at 09:00 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to APSJ For This Useful Post:
chips (03-12-10), Fierwing (03-10-10)
Old 03-14-10, 05:55 PM
Nondescript Moderator

Thanked 6,566 Times in 2,692 Posts
APSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond reputeAPSJ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: NVLD and the DSM-V

I came across this article: http://www.boston.com/news/health/ar...ids/?page=full

which discusses the possible inclusion of Sensory Processing Disorder in the DSM-5, which also appears to be absent from the current draft.

One thing struck me:
Quote:
Alice S. Carter, a psychology professor at the University of Massachusetts Boston, doesn’t think the evidence is quite there yet to support adding sensory processing to the official list of developmental disorders. But she would like to see it added to the “experimental’’ section of the manual, where it would receive more research funding, and where insurance companies and pediatricians would be more likely to acknowledge it as a legitimate problem.
I didn't actually know there was such a section, but perhaps NLD will end up there too. There doesn't seem to be any indication of it on the DSM website. Does anyone know what's in the category now? Or is it something new that's being added to the DSM-5?
The Following User Says Thank You to APSJ For This Useful Post:
chips (03-15-10)